Woman Goes Into Labor at QuakeCon, Chooses Skyrim Demo Over Hospital

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
Atari isn't such a bad name. Being just born, by the time that kid gets to school, none of her peers will know what an Atari is without being of an equally nerdy lineage. This article was also misleading in the sense of, "Lady started labor contractions, unsure if actual labor" would be a bit more apt.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'm amazed they didn't name it Dranovacinh or whatever.

Loner Jo Jo

Jul 22, 2011
Honestly, labor usually takes forever especially since it's her first child. It was just starting contractions anyway, and doctors tell you to not even bother coming to the hospital until they are within a few minutes of each other. Besides, if she wasn't in enough pain that she could still focus on the demo and her water had not broken, she and the baby were fine. Jeez, birth ain't no big thang. Women did it for thousands of year with nary a hospital, doctor or epidural to help and somehow we managed to survive as a species.

TL;DR: I would have done the same thing if I liked Skyrim that much.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Only thing that bugs me about this article is the bit about getting engaged on stage at QuakeCon and planning to get married there. I hate people who feel the need to validate the importance of their relationship by sharing it with hundreds or thousands of complete strangers. Some may find it romantic, but I just find it as an insecure way of saying "Our relationship is better, more important, and more special than any of yours."

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
I can tell she'll be an excellent mother.

*4 months later*

"Baby starves to death while mother's playing Skyrim."
Four months? That's a bit generous don't you think? I'd be calling child protection services already...

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Poor, innocent Atari... this is what happens when nerds with more passion for games than common sense are permitted to breed.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
fire-exit-man said:
They called their daughter Atari? Atari? Do parents not even think about their children going to school with names like that?

Still, conga rats to them!
They should of called her dovahkin...Dragonborne.

Then they would of got a load of Skyrim swag for the baby naming contest that Bethesda was doing.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Casual Shinji said:
I can tell she'll be an excellent mother.

*4 months later*

"Baby starves to death while mother's playing Skyrim."
That's pretty much the thought that went through my mind.

Avistew

Jun 2, 2011
I don't think "Atari" is that bad. I think she'll grow up with people at school who have no idea what an Atari is, and therefore she shouldn't be bullied about it.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Why not Dovakin? TThere was a whole thing by Bethesda that if you name your child dragonborn, yadda yadda. Her nick name could have at least been Donna or something to make it easier on her...

Sinspiration

Mar 7, 2010
I don't care how much a fan she is of anything, calling her kid Atari..?
Several levels of stupid right there.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
This isn't being a hardcore fan, THIS is being fucking irresponsible!
Edit: Appears I'm wrong, still consider if irresponsible though.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
"She loves skyrim!"

It hasn't even come out!!! BLAWAAAARGHARGHARAAGH!!!

I mean I'm sure it will be great. Having watched the leaked video of the demo screening at quake con I'd like to think the kid's first memories will be the audiences cries of "burn the village! Rape the villagers! Tea bag them!".