Wonder Woman and Justice League films are said to be disasters. Is this the end of the DCEU?

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/wonder-woman-justice-league-said-be-disasters-batman-delayed

A source has revealed that Wonder Woman suffers from the same editing and directorial problems that marred Batman V Superman. Also, the upcoming Batman film has been delayed due to issues with Justice League, which is described as a "mess."

Is this the end of the DCEU? Is there going to be a reboot? Do you think we'll ever see our beloved DC characters done justice on screen?

I for one would be down for a reboot of this whole DCEU and have them give Zack "the hack" Snyder and David S. Goyer the boot and bring in some competent people who respect these characters and source material.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Kenbo Slice said:
Is this the end of the DCEU?
After Justice League? Wouldn't be surprised. On the other hand, as long as they make money, there's incentive for them to continue.

Kenbo Slice said:
Is there going to be a reboot?
If it fails? Yeah, probably. Depressingly. Unfortunately. Because god forbid something different is tried.

Kenbo Slice said:
Do you think we'll ever see our beloved DC characters done justice on screen?
Give me good movies first and foremost and then I can discuss that (or not).

Which, to be fair, the DCEU has given me two ENJOYABLE movies, albeit not "good" ones. And Marvel has made billions off a plenthora of average, cookie cutter movies, with the occassional spark of creativity, so who knows?

Kenbo Slice said:
I for one would be down for a reboot of this whole DCEU and have them give Zack "the hack" Snyder and David S. Goyer the boot and bring in some competent people who respect these characters and source material.
Like any other adaptation in the history of fiction, I'd much rather they focus on making something good before worrying about accuracy.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, weird idea, give up on the DCEU entirely and go for an Elseworlds story or something.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
The problem is their execs refuse to stop meddling with their creative talent. The execs don't care how good the films are so long as they make money, and since consumers keep paying to see their flops they have no incentive to stop meddling and ruining their films.

DarthCoercis

May 28, 2016
Kenbo Slice said:
`

I'd actually like to see Kevin Smith direct them. He's a big dc fanboy, has already done a lot of great movie directorial work, and his episodes of dc's tv shows were fantastic.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I doubt it will be the end. It will be very different by the time they reboot it though. I have some hope for Wonder Woman, no hope at all for Justice League. On looks alone I am not happy with it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Clearly they should give the rights back to Marvel.

It'll be a shame if WW turns out crap. They actually managed to scrape together some decent trailers for that one.

As for whether or not it's the end of the DC movies, that depends entirely on how much money they make. If it were just about quality then Suicide Squad would have been the death blow, but it ended up making bank so the show goes on.

The thought of a reboot just makes me tired. Hey, let's watch the Waynes get shot! Again!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Zhukov said:
Clearly they should give the rights back to Marvel.

It'll be a shame if WW turns out crap. They actually managed to scrape together some decent trailers for that one.
But the trailers for BvS and Suicide Squad were good too. :(

Granted, I enjoyed Suicide Squad, but I can't call it a "good" movie per se.

Zhukov said:
The thought of a reboot just makes me tired. Hey, let's watch the Waynes get shot! Again!
It's the shot heard around the multiverse. ;p

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kenbo Slice said:
https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/wonder-woman-justice-league-said-be-disasters-batman-delayed

A source has revealed that Wonder Woman suffers from the same editing and directorial problems that marred Batman V Superman. Also, the upcoming Batman film has been delayed due to issues with Justice League, which is described as a "mess."

Is this the end of the DCEU? Is there going to be a reboot? Do you think we'll ever see our beloved DC characters done justice on screen?

Your overconfidence that a reboot will be better amuses me considering this entire DCEU is a reboot in itself to the prior one that started and ended with Green Lantern. So what makes you think another reboot will be better when Green Lantern sucked and that one did not had Snyder.

And these DC heroes have been done justice before on the big screen. Stop treating the older movies like 78 Suuperman as if they never existed.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Zhukov said:
Thank you, That is the whole reason I am defending these movies to avoid another reboot.

I don't want to see another Superman Origin movie of him as a baby leaving Krypton.

I don't want to see another Batman movie with another actor casted as the Joker and Batman.

For fuck's sake no more reboots!!!!!

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
DarthCoercis said:
Kenbo Slice said:
`

I'd actually like to see Kevin Smith direct them. He's a big dc fanboy, has already done a lot of great movie directorial work, and his episodes of dc's tv shows were fantastic.
No Kevin Smith is just a Batman Fanboy.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
DarthCoercis said:
Kenbo Slice said:
`

Smith is a fanboy for everything. Fatman on Batman barely even touches Batman anymore

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
DarthCoercis said:
Kenbo Slice said:
`

Smith is a fanboy for everything. Fatman on Batman barely even touches Batman anymore
He's what I would call a casual geek fanboy.

You and me are hardcore geeks to certain things.

I am hardcore to World of Warcraft and Fantasy genre in general

Your hardcore to MLP and Warhammer.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:

Your overconfidence that a reboot will be better amuses me considering this entire DCEU is a reboot in itself to the prior one that started and ended with Green Lantern. So what makes you think another reboot will be better when Green Lantern sucked and that one did not had Snyder.

And these DC heroes have been done justice before on the big screen. Stop treating the older movies like 78 Suuperman as if they never existed.
I'm talking heroes outside Superman and Batman.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
DarthCoercis said:
Kenbo Slice said:
`

The Green Arrow comic he wrote was really fucking good. I want him to write more comics.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
DarthCoercis said:
Kenbo Slice said:
`

He's what I would call a casual geek fanboy.

You and me are hardcore geeks to certain things.

I am hardcore to World of Warcraft and Fantasy genre in general

Your hardcore to MLP and Warhammer.
There's nothing casual about Kevin Smith's comic fandom.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Samtemdo8 said:
Thank you, That is the whole reason I am defending these movies to avoid another reboot.

I don't want to see another Superman Origin movie of him as a baby leaving Krypton.

I don't want to see another Batman movie with another actor casted as the Joker and Batman.

I'll do you one better. Reboot to get rid of the old baggage, but don't bother retreading old ground. We've seen it a thousand times before, we don't need to see it again. You can cover the same ground in dialogue without the flashback/time skip. To illustrate the point, let's look at a scene from The Spy Who Loved Me.

Bond: Buy you a drink, Major Amasova? Or may I call you Triple X?
Amasova: So you know who I am.
Bond: You made quite an impression. I'm sorry about Ivan and Boris.
Amasova: They exceeded their orders.
Bond: Good staff is hard to find these days.
Bartender: Yes, sir?
Bond: The lady'll have a Bacardi on the rocks.
Amasova: For the gentleman, vodka martini, shaken not stirred.
Bond: Touche.
Amasova: Commander James Bond, recruited to the British Secret Service from the Royal Navy. Licensed to kill, and has done so on numerous occasions. Many lady friends, but married only once. Wife killed-
Bond: All right, you've made your point.
Amasova: You're sensitive, Mr Bond.
Bond. About certain things, yes.
Contextually, they're both showing off how much they know, but that last part tells us almost everything we need to know about Bond's origin story without the need to go into an actual origin story. The same holds true with Batman and Superman. Clark can get all pensive and existential while looking over the pod he was sent to Earth in. Bruce can simply visit crime alley and pay his respects. Or take a leaf from TAS and show the event in a scrapbook. It isn't difficult.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Asita said:
Zhukov said:

I'll do you one better. Reboot to get rid of the old baggage, but don't bother retreading old ground. We've seen it a thousand times before, we don't need to see it again. You can cover the same ground in dialogue without the flashback/time skip. To illustrate the point, let's look at a scene from The Spy Who Loved Me.

Bond: Buy you a drink, Major Amasova? Or may I call you Triple X?
Amasova: So you know who I am.
Bond: You made quite an impression. I'm sorry about Ivan and Boris.
Amasova: They exceeded their orders.
Bond: Good staff is hard to find these days.
Bartender: Yes, sir?
Bond: The lady'll have a Bacardi on the rocks.
Amasova: For the gentleman, vodka martini, shaken not stirred.
Bond: Touche.
Amasova: Commander James Bond, recruited to the British Secret Service from the Royal Navy. Licensed to kill, and has done so on numerous occasions. Many lady friends, but married only once. Wife killed-
Bond: All right, you've made your point.
Amasova: You're sensitive, Mr Bond.
Bond. About certain things, yes.
Contextually, they're both showing off how much they know, but that last part tells us almost everything we need to know about Bond's origin story without the need to go into an actual origin story. The same holds true with Batman and Superman. Clark can get all pensive and existential while looking over the pod he was sent to Earth in. Bruce can simply visit crime alley and pay his respects. Or take a leaf from TAS and show the event in a scrapbook. It isn't difficult.
Well Hollywood today is not that smart and won't reboot it the way you want it to.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Considering that just about any comic book movie that is not Marvel seems to be immediately labeled as a failure for the egregious sin of not being Marvel, and that if the tone differs from lighthearted quip-fest with little consequence it's derisively called grimdark and trying too hard, it does not surprise me that people are already talking shit about Wonder Woman and Justice League and are calling for a reboot or complete dismissal of the DC movies altogether.