Wonder Woman and Justice League films are said to be disasters. Is this the end of the DCEU?

Derekloffin

Jun 17, 2015
The problem with the DCEU is they just can't seem to set a consistent standard. Marvel has been branching out more and more lately, but each movie is very internally consistent feel wise, and they have a very solid base to work. DCEU is much more conflicted and doesn't have that solid base. At times they are trying to be popcorn flicks, other times serious, other times comical, and they don't seem to be able to get the right balance of any of them.

I recently watch B v S and there was the potential there for a great flick... but it was squandered with really jarring tone shifts and inconsistencies. This quirky Lex could have worked in a more comical type movie, but most the movie is played serious. And then there is that infamous 'I thought she was with you' line... why didn't they edit that out?! It was totally out of place in the scene. There is some great spectacle for a popcorn kind of flick, but again it tries to tell a serious story which was unfortunately disjointed, and there wasn't enough spectacle to make it great for that... The sad thing is I think it was very close to being a pretty good movie, but they just couldn't bring it together.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Derekloffin said:
The problem with the DCEU is they just can't seem to set a consistent standard. Marvel has been branching out more and more lately, but each movie is very internally consistent feel wise, and they have a very solid base to work. DCEU is much more conflicted and doesn't have that solid base. At times they are trying to be popcorn flicks, other times serious, other times comical, and they don't seem to be able to get the right balance of any of them.

I recently watch B v S and there was the potential there for a great flick... but it was squandered with really jarring tone shifts and inconsistencies. This quirky Lex could have worked in a more comical type movie, but most the movie is played serious. And then there is that infamous 'I thought she was with you' line... why didn't they edit that out?! It was totally out of place in the scene. There is some great spectacle for a popcorn kind of flick, but again it tries to tell a serious story which was unfortunately disjointed, and there wasn't enough spectacle to make it great for that... The sad thing is I think it was very close to being a pretty good movie, but they just couldn't bring it together.
You can place the tonal shift with the comedic elements not clashing well with the serious tone due to the criticism leveled at Man of Steel for being TOO serious.

I mean we went from Zod who was a great villain in Man of Steel to this version of Lex Luthor in BvS who is clearly trying to fill the void of the Joker in The Dark Knight.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Raddra said:
The problem is their execs refuse to stop meddling with their creative talent. The execs don't care how good the films are so long as they make money, and since consumers keep paying to see their flops they have no incentive to stop meddling and ruining their films.
Exactly. Not that Disney is not prone to executive meddling (far from it), but they seem to be far more careful with the stitches. While their worst movies have some extra parts here and there, the DC ones look pretty much like a Frankenstein's monster.

Executive meddling was what ruined Batman and Robin, ruined the last part of the Dark Knight trilogy, and turned Batman v Superman into a collection of incoherent callbacks to future movies.

Personally, I don't think they are going to stop making movies in the DCEU, not while they are profitable... but the last few gave me very little reason to get hyped for Justice League.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
While I am no fan of the DCEU, Superman was ok, SS was ok and Bvss was an utter cluster fuck of nonsense I am willing to give Wonder Women a wait and see purely because this will be something unique, a movie in which the main protagonist is a female superhero. In the current line up of Super Hero movies THAT is something truly unique. If it turns out to be a mess then yeah lets just call it a day. Their is no way that JL will pull it back and suddenly become the DC's version of the Avengers movie.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Asita said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Thank you, That is the whole reason I am defending these movies to avoid another reboot.

I don't want to see another Superman Origin movie of him as a baby leaving Krypton.

I don't want to see another Batman movie with another actor casted as the Joker and Batman.

For fuck's sake no more reboots!!!!!
I'll do you one better. Reboot to get rid of the old baggage, but don't bother retreading old ground. We've seen it a thousand times before, we don't need to see it again. You can cover the same ground in dialogue without the flashback/time skip. To illustrate the point, let's look at a scene from The Spy Who Loved Me.

Bond: Buy you a drink, Major Amasova? Or may I call you Triple X?
Amasova: So you know who I am.
Bond: You made quite an impression. I'm sorry about Ivan and Boris.
Amasova: They exceeded their orders.
Bond: Good staff is hard to find these days.
Bartender: Yes, sir?
Bond: The lady'll have a Bacardi on the rocks.
Amasova: For the gentleman, vodka martini, shaken not stirred.
Bond: Touche.
Amasova: Commander James Bond, recruited to the British Secret Service from the Royal Navy. Licensed to kill, and has done so on numerous occasions. Many lady friends, but married only once. Wife killed-
Bond: All right, you've made your point.
Amasova: You're sensitive, Mr Bond.
Bond. About certain things, yes.
Contextually, they're both showing off how much they know, but that last part tells us almost everything we need to know about Bond's origin story without the need to go into an actual origin story. The same holds true with Batman and Superman. Clark can get all pensive and existential while looking over the pod he was sent to Earth in. Bruce can simply visit crime alley and pay his respects. Or take a leaf from TAS and show the event in a scrapbook. It isn't difficult.
But if they don't cut to that scene multiple times in slow motion, how are we going to know the importance of Bruce's mothers name and how it motivates him from hating Clark with the burning passion of a hundred suns to befriending him on facebook? The twist would fall flat because they showed it less than 10 times!

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
hermes said:
Asita said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Thank you, That is the whole reason I am defending these movies to avoid another reboot.

I don't want to see another Superman Origin movie of him as a baby leaving Krypton.

I don't want to see another Batman movie with another actor casted as the Joker and Batman.

I'll do you one better. Reboot to get rid of the old baggage, but don't bother retreading old ground. We've seen it a thousand times before, we don't need to see it again. You can cover the same ground in dialogue without the flashback/time skip. To illustrate the point, let's look at a scene from The Spy Who Loved Me.

Amasova: Commander James Bond, recruited to the British Secret Service from the Royal Navy. Licensed to kill, and has done so on numerous occasions. Many lady friends, but married only once. Wife killed-
Contextually, they're both showing off how much they know, but that last part tells us almost everything we need to know about Bond's origin story without the need to go into an actual origin story. The same holds true with Batman and Superman. Clark can get all pensive and existential while looking over the pod he was sent to Earth in. Bruce can simply visit crime alley and pay his respects. Or take a leaf from TAS and show the event in a scrapbook. It isn't difficult.
But if they don't cut to that scene multiple times in slow motion, how are we going to know the importance of Bruce's mothers name and how it motivates him from hating Clark with the burning passion of a hundred suns to befriending him on facebook? The twist would fall flat because they showed it less than 10 times!
There is no slo-mo in BvS.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Derekloffin said:

You can place the tonal shift with the comedic elements not clashing well with the serious tone due to the criticism leveled at Man of Steel for being TOO serious.

I mean we went from Zod who was a great villain in Man of Steel to this version of Lex Luthor in BvS who is clearly trying to fill the void of the Joker in The Dark Knight.
>Zod
>great villain
Pick one.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
hermes said:
Asita said:
Samtemdo8 said:

The entire first scenes of the movie (the death of the Waynes) is shown in slow-motion, including the bullet case and pearls falling to the floor, the inter-cutting of Bruce on the cave, and the close-up of Thomas calling her wife's name (it is "Martha", in case you missed it)

And also parts of the "Manbat dream sequence" (or is it a premonition, I don't even know at this point), with the close up to Bruce's mother's name (it is "Martha", in case you missed it) is shown in slow-motion, unless she is buried in a planet with more gravity than the Earth, and Bruce is having a really hard time walking there.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Derekloffin said:

>Zod
>great villain
Pick one.
Hey man he was quite a tragic villain. He lost his home world and all he wanted was to make a new Krypton on Earth.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
hermes said:
Samtemdo8 said:
hermes said:
Asita said:
Samtemdo8 said:

The entire first scenes of the movie (the death of the Waynes) is shown in slow-motion, including the bullet case and pearls falling to the floor, the inter-cutting of Bruce on the cave, and the close-up of Thomas calling her wife's name (it is "Martha", in case you missed it)

And also parts of the "Manbat dream sequence" (or is it a premonition, I don't even know at this point), with the close up to Bruce's mother's name (it is "Martha", in case you missed it) is shown in slow-motion, unless she is buried in a planet with more gravity than the Earth, and Bruce is having a really hard time walking there.

I can't believe I forgotten about the Opening Scene.

But really I don't mind Slow-Mo in movies. And heck it was used to good effect in 300 and Watchmen.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Derekloffin said:

>Zod
>great villain
Pick one.
Hey man he was quite a tragic villain. He lost his home world and all he wanted was to make a new Krypton on Earth.
So...why couldn't he make a new one on Mars?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
hermes said:
Samtemdo8 said:
hermes said:
Asita said:
Samtemdo8 said:

I can't believe I forgotten about the Opening Scene.

But really I don't mind Slow-Mo in movies. And heck it was used to good effect in 300 and Watchmen.
I have no issue with slow motion as such. It is pretty cheap to get it as an effect, and it can help increase the dramatic tension or heighten the action. In 300, Snider used it to accentuate the action. In Batman v Superman, Snider used it to make sure the audience knew Bruce's dead mother is Martha... again and again and again...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It's dead for me anyway. BvS was such a colossal disaster that I simply have no interest in any of the other movies. None whatsoever. What's the point when all the characters they've created so far are boring and their stories aren't interesting? I didn't bother with Suicide Squad either.

And I think I'm done with Batman until we can get someone to make a movie version of Arkham games. Not the actual stories, just the characterization and aesthetics.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Derekloffin said:

>Zod
>great villain
Pick one.
"A foundation has to be built on something"

That something happens to be life.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
It be a shame if true. I thought Suicide Squad was a good step forward.

Theres no reason Wonder Woman shouldn't be good, because again unlike BvS, it can be it's own self contained thing.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Derekloffin said:

>Zod
>great villain
Pick one.

But why?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Derekloffin said:

>Zod
>great villain
Pick one.

But why?
Becuase Superman has the Codex. If you had watch the movie you know what the whole point of Superman is.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Derekloffin said:

>Zod
>great villain
Pick one.

But why?
Becuase Superman has the Codex. If you had watch the movie you know what the whole point of Superman is.
And did he ever consider asking Superman to help him find a new world and help him rebuild? The Zod from the comics is pretty intelligent, this one...is kinda dumb.