Words/phrases that piss you off

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Gorrath said:
Toblerone? TOBLERONE?! Mother fuckin' TOBLERONE!? I am about sick and tired of your side pushing this toblerone agenda! The narrative around toblerone has been so co-opted by you people that even the idea of toblerone has lost all meaning! I have 37 different screencaps saved in a pastebin that will PROVE beyond any doubt that your toblerone agenda is made up by literal Hitlers!
HAH! TOBLERONE LAUGHS IN THE FACE OF YOUR INDIGNATION! HAHAH! TOBLERONE CARES NOT FOR YOUR SJW'S AND GG AND OTHER THINGS!! HAHA! HE IS TOO BUSY BEING LOUD AND LAUGHING AT EVERYTHING TO CARE!!! HAHAH! YOU SHOULD COME LIVE DOWN HERE WITH US YEAH! THOSE PEOPLE UP TOP NEVER GET DOWN HERE! HAHAH!

God I love Toblerone, I think I'm going to go find that MST 3K episode right now and bask in his wonderfulness.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Any nonscientific or culturally understood labels piss me off, so any of these popular internet terms usually piss me off because without a central authority to determine what they mean, they are all but meaningless. Even many previously understood terms piss me off now because people have taken it upon themselves to undefine their very meaning, like racist, sexist, ironic, etc.

More personally, I really hate when people use internet slang or terminology in real life. It is often bad enough on the internet but I seriously considered finding new friends in high school when one of my friends went through a phase of referring to things as "epic."

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Two words. Just two words, yet they're enough to make me want to commit atrocities that would get me thrown in jail from simply mentioning them. Those two words are:

"Jealous"

"Hater"

If someone uses either of those words as part of a serious argument (let alone both), then I've not only lost all respect for them and their opinion, but I probably am quite literally imagining hurting them physically (to put it nicely). My hatred of those two words - of those two strawman arguments - is honestly to the point of being flat-out disturbing even to myself. I honestly cannot describe how much I completely loathe those two words without crossing the line and getting myself rightfully permabanned from these forums.

EDIT: Because I couldn't resist, and it isn't worth a post of it's own...

Kopikatsu said:
"(It's as) simple as that."

I swear to Gods that literally every single time I've heard someone use that phrase, THEY'VE BEEN WRONG. And not even 'standard' wrong. Ridiculously wrong. I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but every time the phrase comes up, I physically cringe and think less of the person who used it.

The other one is any variation of 'I'm going to put toast in the toaster'. I don't know why it sets me off, it just does. You don't put toast in a goddamn toaster. YOU PUT BREAD IN A TOASTER TO MAKE TOAST.
But what if I do put toast in the toaster, in order to make super-toast? Do you have a problem with super-toast?

Booklover13

Mar 10, 2014
"Calm Down"

My sister used to always say this to me when ever I was even the tiniest bit upset. It didn't matter how well I was controlling it, or if I was still able to make reasoned arguments with out raising my voice, I needed to "Calm Down." So naturally, now whenever I hear it the phrase acts as in instant rage inducer. Really annoying to have friends sincerely trying to comfort you but instead are just making it worse. Thankfully at this point most of the relevant people know not to use it.

agent9

Dec 5, 2013
# when used with anything but a number
Swag in short for swagger, not merch
yolo
cisgender
privileged
SJW as a negative
Misogynist when not used properly which is most of the time
general insults without substance like f4 + g0t and other words. I want a discussion, not ad hominem.

These are my pet peeves. Many times people will insist you're x,y, or z in order to shut you down rather than actually confronting your argument. IMO they've lost the fight at that point but for people with a mild level of reason, you should avoid insulting whenever possible.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
Social Justice warrior. IT's just dumb.

Its like whiteknight or Mary sue. meaningless buzzwords that idiots use when they cannot have a civil discussion with people.

Besides SJW is easy to replace just plain 'Arsehole' will do

Some Arsehole: ALL White men should die.
ME:Fuck off Arsehole.

See how easy that is?!

Grendich

Mar 7, 2012
Booklover13 said:
"Calm Down"
ugh, if i were you i wouldve beaten the shit out of that sister (just to show her when someone REALLY has to calm down). that wouldve driven me crazy.

What i hate to hear:
-'Honestly'
-'Let's be honest here'
-'frankly'
-'IMHO'
Especially when those phrases frequently appear in a text. It seems like some people feel the need to apologise for their Opinion/post all the fucking time, even before stating it and it makes me mad. Just say what you want to say, for fuck's sake, and stop bloating up your post with this shit. Everybody knows you're just saying your own opinion so theres no need to emphasise that in every other sentence.

-'yes you read that right'/'but let me finish' and similar stuff in forum posts, for similar reasons: people write as if they talk to me. But they arent, they write a text. At any time i can go back and reread what they wrote. Theres no point in telling me that i read something correctly. And noone's going to stop you from finishing your post, so dont pretend thats the case.

-'
Stopped reading there': If someone didnt even manage to read an entire post, he/she shouldnt type an answer at all and just shut the fuck up. It's especially infuriating if someone wrote a really good post, but some fuckwit feels the need to state that he/she 'stopped reading there' because of some really unimportant, tiny bit in the text.

-'Troll'/'trolling'/'Meme': cause those words are overused and dont really have any meaning anymore.

-'Douche': People use it as an insult and it just falls short. Doesnt sound offensive at all, so i dont understand why it is used.

Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Nothing directly comes to mind, although I do make the effort to point out that proper Latin didn't have soft 'c's, and that Caesar was pronounced Kaesar(hence: the German name for 'Emperor' is Kaiser). That and that the english word 'cut' is derivative of 'caed', which would have to be pronounced with a hard 'c'.
Our latin teacher always said that noone actually knows if it's pronounced 'ts' or 'k'. Brought up the russian 'Zar/Tzar' as a reason why it might have been pronounced 'ts'.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
'Shitlord', 'pissbaby' whatever. The words themselves don't piss me off, it's the idea behind them.

They're politically correct insults, aimed at not offending people because slurs are so bad... Never mind the bullshit that passes for a slur nowadays like 'idiot' or 'stupid'.

So yeah. God forbid you actually insult someone with your insult.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Leon Declis said:
DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
Envy Omicron said:
-"Cultural Marxism"
It doesn't piss me off, but it does bother me that I've been asking for people to clearly spell out exactly what this means for a long time and no one has really been able or even willing to do so.

And I'm beginning to operate under the theory that if you're unwilling to explain a term you're trying to use in a discussion, that's a good indication that you don't yourself know what it means, you aren't using it correctly, or it's a made-up concept entirely.
I'll try to explain Cultural Marxism, and why people think it's good/bad

Cultural Marxism is an adaptation of Marxism; the idea that the working classes should control the means of production in the hopes that everyone will be raised up to an equal level in the economic and social sense. There are no rich, there are no poor, there is only the people and they are equal. You with me so far?

So, Cultural Marxism is the idea that the ruling elite culture (in America and Europe, this would be white culture and by extension, the overwhelming white middle class and white governments and white power structures and so on) should be dismantled from being so overwhelmingly white and instead raise everyone up to the same level of culture, societal power, etc. Instead of economy and production, this is Marxism regarding culture, the media and society.

Why is this seen as good?

It's seen as good because, well, who doesn't like equality? If we can provide the same level of opportunity to blacks, Mexicans, Asians, Middle Easterners, Jews, etc as whites receive in white countries, then it will produce a stronger country with a strong middle class and similar values, which increases stability and helps to prevent extremism. In theory.

Why is this seen as bad?

Well, firstly, this is only being applied to white countries. If you were to try this in, for example, China, they'd tell you to fuck off. As such, many feel that this unfairly targets white culture which is the culture which seems to be the only one willing to try it.
Secondly, Cultural Marxism works both ways. You can't just ask the whites to dismantle their culture, you have to ask that all participants do so. While it is fine to ask a Christian man to stop being so oppressive with his dominant culture, few people are actually asking, for example, Muslims to stop practising their culture in public or trying to pass laws which benefit them. So, it is being light on the minorities while being heavy on the majorities.
Thirdly, there is such a thing as "the tyranny of the minority". Trying to force a minority opinion on a majority can be oppressive since there is no public mandate for such a thing; the idea of a democratic society is the majority decides what happens for the majority, and this is seen as undemocratic.
Fourthly, it is inherently sexist and racist. In order to do this, you have to admit that the minorities or weak parties are weak because they are unable to compete due to their culture, intelligence or personal abilities. They are unable to help themselves without being patronisingly helped by the majority.
Fifthly, the people who tend to be very into it are VERY into it. Very vocal, very forceful. If we take the idea of Marxism, these people become similar to Commissars; very into pushing the agenda, the propaganda of their ideology. This is not popular and generally leads to the phrase "SJW".
I'm about as far away as you can get from the internet's brand of Social Justice advocates without actually just being a massive racist, but if I ever did suffer a massive brain hemorrhage and begin fighting the good fight against The (White CIS Hetero) Man, I'd definitely call myself a Social Justice Commissar. Like Lenin said, the term reeks of blood!

OT

"Social Justice Warrior" - I prefer the term "moral crusader" or just "twat" but SJW has been run right into the ground by overuse.
"Misogynist/misandrist/sexist/racist" - Likewise, thrown about far too casually in an attempt to destroy the enemy's credibility these days, rather than point actually reprehensible behaviour (inb4 I'm accused of whatever-ism because I didn't list dozens of immaculately recorded examples of genuine whatever-ism within the ranks of the side you don't like).
"Hater" - As hard a concept as it is for the internet to grasp, people can express criticism and negative opinions without being dedicated anti-fans: saying you didn't like something does not make you a fucking "hater".
"YOLO" - Just plain stupid, although it will always bring a smile to my face by reminding me of the news clip of the rapper texting "YOLO" while driving before immediately crashing and killing himself.
"Whose she, the cat's mother?" - Yeah that's exactly who I'm talking about when the person I *directly* referred to is in the room with us, the fucking cat's mother!
Any bastardisation of a political designation, like "libtard" or "rethuglican" - Nowhere near as clever as the person saying it thinks it is and immediately shows they're not interesting in useful debate.

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
"Sheep" in any context other than when talking about the animal in question. Because most people who use it are smug pricks who consider themselves better than everyone else for liking/disliking things that others dislike/like.

Listen, buddy, maybe tons of people like something because they genuinely think it's good? I'm baffled by people who liked Fifty Shades of Grey, and I don't understand dubstep and why people like it, but if they think it's good, who am I to judge? (Off topic: Actually, my main gripe with FSOG it that it's a rewritten Twilight fanfiction. Something about the idea that you get a bestseller from writing a fanfic and changing the names just irks me)

Also, in wake of recent events, "SJW" is starting to really irritate me for reasons others have already listed; It's turning into a meaningless buzzword that people just use to insult each other.

And the top of my list:

"It's just a joke, lighten up!" when someone says or does something insulting to another. This one irks me because a pal I had in middle school frequently used this as an excuse to be an asshole to me. She would insult me, and when I called her out on it, she claimed it was my fault for "not having a sense of humor". If I so much as looked at her wrong, though, she would be rude to me and ignore me for days.

Part of the reason why the JonTron "controversy" pissed me off: He was rude to a person who asked him politely not to use a word, but apparently he gets a free pass on that because he's an Internet comedian. It reminded me of my middle school "friend".
(Don't bring up the shitstorm that ensued afterwards, because I agree that was dumb as shit. I just hate it when people act like Jon was completely innocent in all of that)
...Damn it, I'm going to regret brining that up, aren't I?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Grendich said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Nothing directly comes to mind, although I do make the effort to point out that proper Latin didn't have soft 'c's, and that Caesar was pronounced Kaesar(hence: the German name for 'Emperor' is Kaiser). That and that the english word 'cut' is derivative of 'caed', which would have to be pronounced with a hard 'c'.
Our latin teacher always said that noone actually knows if it's pronounced 'ts' or 'k'. Brought up the russian 'Zar/Tzar' as a reason why it might have been pronounced 'ts'.
Germany provides a more faithful link in my opinion(recordkeeping was horrendous back in the day, so I'll agree with you; it's just my own leanings), as it was fashioned from the ruins of the Holy Roman Empire.

It would also make sense that the language changed due to Rome being a bit thinly spread. It was a vast, sprawling empire to be sure, but it wasn't populated exclusively by Romans. Perchance that the individual dialects were absorbed into Latin, and that's why we have soft/hard c conflict? Again though, it's supposition and assumption. I don't usually bring it up unless it's an egregious example :p

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Genocidicles said:
'Shitlord', 'pissbaby' whatever. The words themselves don't piss me off, it's the idea behind them.

They're politically correct insults, aimed at not offending people because slurs are so bad... Never mind the bullshit that passes for a slur nowadays like 'idiot' or 'stupid'.

So yeah. God forbid you actually insult someone with your insult.
Shitlord demonstrates a vilification of upper class or aristocratic individuals based solely upon their background.
Lord is attached to a negative term and treated like a negative term.
Furthermore, infantilization of piss, by attaching it to the term 'baby' is offensive to an already stigmatized group, that is adults with incontinence issues who already mocked too much for a medical condition beyond their control.

Sorry.

I just wanted to illustrate you can dig enough to be 'legitimately' offended at any insult.
Granted, there are some that are genuinely offensive terms, but many receive this additional stigma of usage based on additional criteria applied beyond the context of the highlighted use.

As to my own phrase?

Triple A or AAA when in reference to a game.
For some reason, ever since I heard this phrase, it raised my hackles at the every utterance of it.
Now it's become so ubiquitous that exposure has resulted in me being a little more tolerant of it, but I still feel a ghost of that revulsion tickle across my thoughts whenever I read or hear it.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
Well, you've put a good deal more effort into the attempt to explain it than anyone else has for me, and that deserves some genuine commendation. That said, it doesn't really resolve my confusion over the term. I frequently hear Anita Sarkeesian described as a cultural Marxist, for example, and not a single thing you've listed here matches with any opinion I've ever heard her espouse.
Well, I'll try and apply it to her.

Let's take the idea that gaming is largely a male hobby (Come on...). Anita is trying to force the majority of male gamers who may be apathetic to the female minority and force them to be equal; so rather than the male game industry cater for the male audience, she wants them to cater equally to the male and female audience at a rate of 50:50 or more.

She also dislikes many very male aspects of game culture; trash talk, "guy saves the girl", "girl being kickass is co-opting the man", reliance on violence and so on. By forcing her feminist views on a large un-feminist hobby (or to be more accurate, a large apathetic audience), she is implying that there should be an equal field even if the hobby is not really equal between men and woman.

Plus, some people just don't understand the phrase and throw it around willy-nilly, see "misogyny" for the example from the other side.

Gameguy20100 said:
Social Justice warrior. IT's just dumb.

Its like whiteknight or Mary sue. meaningless buzzwords that idiots use when they cannot have a civil discussion with people.

Besides SJW is easy to replace just plain 'Arsehole' will do

Some Arsehole: ALL White men should die.
ME:Fuck off Arsehole.

See how easy that is?!
Yes, but Social Justice Warrior is a subset of arseholes, like chips are a subset of potatoes; we need words to be more specific.

Arkynomicon said:
Genderfluid.

It sounds like cum.
Oh, thanks dude, now I'll never unhear that.

Reminds me of the phrase "man batter".

Dragonlayer said:
I'm about as far away as you can get from the internet's brand of Social Justice advocates without actually just being a massive racist, but if I ever did suffer a massive brain hemorrhage and begin fighting the good fight against The (White CIS Hetero) Man, I'd definitely call myself a Social Justice Commissar. Like Lenin said, the term reeks of blood!
God yes, Social Justice Commissar is awesome as a title. I may award it to people.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
"Cray-Cray" - 'the fuck is that supposed to mean, anyway? Whatever happened to the good old-fashioned "batshit"? Cray-Cray sounds like a cartoon character.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Here Comes Tomorrow said:
"Cisgender"
Actually, a lot if the Tumblrisms. Most of them. I don't know when everyone started deciding everything needed a special word and a flag and a dedicated movement.

I also hate being refered to as "mate", it sounds really condecending.

Because of Gamergate: misogyny, narrative, sexism, Anita, Quinn, ZQ, harrassment, tweet, twitter, tweeted, feminism, MRA, SJW, ethics, journalism, Ben Kuchera, gamer, gamers, dead, game, trope, DMCA, censor, censorship, ban, banned, reddit, 4chan, kotaku, polygon, logic, email, advertizers, any latin phrase, logical fallicy, strawman, no true scotsman, feminist, writer, blog, blogger, hashtag, sock puppet, account, blocked, made private, deleted, evidence, guilty, Eron, ex, bitter, angry, revenge porn, abuse, abusive, abuser, physical, mental, law, laws, sexualized, objectified, video, YouTube, rape culture, Jim Stirling, moviebob, Bob Chipman, gamergate, resources, discussion, terrorist, ISIS, compare, death threats, rape threats, bomb threats, threats, threatening, vocal, #GG, trolls, vile, minority, debate, comments, 8chan, /v/, Bayonettea, Hitman, strippers, accountable, transparency, Patreon, friends, sex, relationships, prior, invested and finally toblerone.

If people could carry on a discussion about Gamergate without using any of those words, that be just greeeeeeeat.
... Toblerone?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Varrdy said:
"Cray-Cray" - 'the fuck is that supposed to mean, anyway? Whatever happened to the good old-fashioned "batshit"? Cray-Cray sounds like a cartoon character.
For shizzle.

OT: I came across someone on YouTube a few years ago who kept signing off every comment with "Anti-racist is code for anti-white". "Marxism"/"Marxist" also gets bounced around more frequently and with more vigour than Justin Beiber in General Population the ball in a squash court.

Sassafrass said:
Fit.
Used in a sentence. "That girl/boy/puddle of primordial ooze is well fit."

Just...no. It makes me want to punch whoever says it.

"No, she is well up for it, though. She's slack."

Sometimes they tickle the funny bone.

imperialwar

Jun 17, 2008
I've always hated "Fiance" as in the person you have asked to marry you. It just sounds wrong.

Political Correctness: nope sorry you can leave the room now thanks, it's my opinion and I will express it. If that offends you, then you can express that too. Doesn't mean I will change my opinion or the way I present it. Not everyone has to agree on everything.

The "Fat Gene" nope sorry doesn't exist. You can have a genetic disposition to poorly metabolize energy, granted, but genes don't make you fat. Unless they mutate your body function (normally the thyroid).

The "C" word. I used to hear it so much at my former work from the indigenous population here, that I used to get down eye to eye with them and tell them it was against my religion to even hear that word. You'd be surprised how effective that was.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
In reality none...there's no trigger word or phrase that actually piss me off but rather ones that just irk me. Sadly, these words appear EVERYWHERE online. For context, keep in mind that I have never owned a mobile device (cell, smartphone, tablet and the like).

I'm referring to intentional misspelling of words as an attempt to fit in to a community, joke, troll and the like.
- lawls
- gears
- urn (referring to run)
- teh
- 100kk

So on and so fourth...there are hundreds of these that you'll get exposed to within various gaming and social communities and they all rub me the wrong way. The absolute worst offenders being the ones that aren't actually shortening a word in any way like gears, urn, and teh.