World Cup 2010

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Ekit said:
Wasn't Spain's goal offside?
No, as it seems. I would definitely ask for another replay but it looked pretty legit as far as I've seen.
Torres is as bland as ever today. Yet Villa makes up for it... again.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
I want Portugal to equalise!!!

Come on Portugal!

What a shitty Red card. FFS Fifa. Come on Portugal! Make this game go to overtime!

It seems like Fifa has a minimum shittyness quota of Ref decision they have to meet each game.

'Oh no! The game is almost over and we haven't completely messed up on 1 major decision! Give someone a red card! Quick!'

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Spain wins!!!!!!

This made me very happy. I thought they would lose. No I'm starting to believe that they actually might advance. ^_^

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Goodbye Portugal and Goodbye Queiroz. Hope you die in a fire fucking asshole of a coach. Seriously, one of the worst coaches I seen in my life. This guy has no fucking clue in how to make a team play.

Remove our only striker to put in a winger half an hour before the end? What the fuck, you cretin! Go fucking learn how to manage a team. 4 years being the aide of Sir Alex Fergusson and this idiot still doesn't know the basics.

Good riddance. Was hoping we(Portugal) would get knocked out right away in the group stage so the Portuguese Federation wakes up and fixes this team, but alas did not happen.

Oh well, see Portugal in 2 years for the Euro. Hopefully without lame Queiroz and Ronaldo not being the captain.

P.S: The goal seemed clean. Video replays would only slow down the game(more) in offsides. Red card was weird. Though Ricardo Costa does seem to hit Capdvilla with his elbow, but no case for Red on my opinion.

Zwilorg

Sep 11, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Goodbye Portugal and Goodbye Queiroz. Hope you die in a fire fucking asshole of a coach. Seriously, one of the worst coaches I seen in my life. This guy has no fucking clue in how to make a team play.

Remove our only striker to put in a winger half an hour before the end? What the fuck, you cretin! Go fucking learn how to manage a team. 4 years being the aide of Sir Alex Fergusson and this idiot still doesn't know the basics.

Good riddance. Was hoping we(Portugal) would get knocked out right away in the group stage so the Portuguese Federation wakes up and fixes this team, but alas did not happen.

Oh well, see Portugal in 2 years for the Euro. Hopefully without lame Queiroz and Ronaldo not being the captain.

P.S: The goal seemed clean. Video replays would only slow down the game(more) in offsides. Red card was weird. Though Ricardo Costa does seem to hit Capdvilla with his elbow, but no case for Red on my opinion.

totally agree with you! damn fucking coach... against Brasil...and in the games before the WC...always the same tactic AND EVERYONE SAW THAT IT WAS TOTALLY BULLSHIT!!! except him ofcourse.

why the hope... :(

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
It's offside.
Yeah.
I think even David knew that because he didn't start celebrating right away.
But, yeah. I applaud this WC.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
It's offside.
Yeah.
Eh, it's not that bad, nothing to get your panties in a knot so to say.

Also did the guy said "IF you can't see him offside, then probably he is offside?" that doesn't make that much of a sense.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
oliveira8 said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
It's offside.
Yeah.

Also did the guy said "IF you can't see him offside, then probably he is offside?" that doesn't make that much of a sense.
"If you can't see him offside, then he's probably ONside."

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
oliveira8 said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
It's offside.
Yeah.

Sorry, but slight offside and gigantic offside are both offsides. Which means the goal should not count.
Alright, it's no Tevez offside, but it's offside nonetheless, and a pretty clear one at that.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
oliveira8 said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
It's offside.
Yeah.

Sorry, but slight offside and gigantic offside are both offsides. Which means the goal should not count.
Alright, it's no Tevez offside, but it's offside nonetheless, and a pretty clear one at that.
It's clear because you watching on a replay. The guy is 20 centimeters offside and the linesman has his view obstructed, it's not an easy call.
He couldn't see Villa(And I bet he didn't see Xavi touch the ball) so it looked that he was on onside. It's not a clear one. No one in the match complained. The players didn't complain, the fans didn't complain(till the end of the match and TV networks pumped out their fancy technologies in the video replay) and the commentators(At least the Portuguese ones) did not complain.

It wasn't clear offside. An error? Yes. A honest mistake? Yes. Is it worth make it a poster child for football technology? Fuck no. These plays is exactly what FIFA wants to show how video replays would slow down the game to a halt. Video replay in this case would stop the game for a solid 5 to 15 minutes, of people arguing.

Just let it go. The Portuguese people aren't crying about it. We didn't lose because Villa was a finger offside.

Ekit said:
oliveira8 said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
It's offside.
Yeah.

"If you can't see him offside, then he's probably ONside."
Thanks!

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
oliveira8 said:
It's clear because you watching on a replay. The guy is 20 centimeters offside and the linesman has his view obstructed, it's not an easy call.
He couldn't see Villa(And I bet he didn't see Xavi touch the ball) so it looked that he was on onside. It's not a clear one. No one in the match complained. The players didn't complain, the fans didn't complain(till the end of the match and TV networks pumped out their fancy technologies in the video replay) and the commentators(At least the Portuguese ones) did not complain.
Do you know why they didn't complain? Because after the England and Mexico fiascos, FIFA addresseed the situation by prohibiting video replays of goals on the stadium screen.
If they would've frozen the frame, everyone would have noticed.
oliveira8 said:
It wasn't clear offside. An error? Yes. A honest mistake? Yes. Is it worth make it a poster child for football technology? Fuck no. These plays is exactly what FIFA wants to show how video replays would slow down the game to a halt. Video replay in this case would stop the game for a solid 5 to 15 minutes, of people arguing.
Well, there is a little tecnology called wireless connection. How that would work is you would put another referee to monitor the replays and give the teams rights to debate the referee decisions a limited number of times, let's say, one.
They debate the decision and thirty seconds later the referee has the answer.
You're saying this shouldn't become "a poster child for football technology", yet this is exactly what it should become. Because it's proof, honest and complete proof that there are situations where the referee and his assistants can not make the call.
oliveira8 said:
Just let it go. The Portuguese people aren't crying about it. We didn't lose because Villa was a finger offside.
So FIFA can continue to put down technology and stick fingers into their ears when somebody gets fucked over because of it? Nah.
Maybe Portugal deserved to tank, maybe so did England and Mexico.
But not Ireland. Not Serbia. Not the USA (I'm referring to the two false calls on their goals, although those didn't really end up meaning anything.)

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
oliveira8 said:
Do you know why they didn't complain? Because after the England and Mexico fiascos, FIFA addresseed the situation by prohibiting video replays of goals on the stadium screen.
If they would've frozen the frame, everyone would have noticed.
Or not. There was no talk about Villa's offside after the game, on the whole whooping 3 TV PT programs did not address that situation, like it was a serious mistake, and one of the main commentators is a guy that went to Portuguese parliament to make the Portuguese government go to FIFA about modernizing football. Not even the Portuguese coach.
Why? Because it doesn't matter. The ref's mistake didn't really have that much impact.(Well it did...) Portugal wasn't playing at all, and the cretin coach just took our only striker from the game to put a winger. It was a matter of time till Spain putted Portugal out of it's misery. The goal ended up being from an offside, a really tough call by the referees for once ,this wasn't obvious has the one from Tevez, from where the linesman was Villa was on the right position, and can you blame him? You can only see the offside from extensive replays and fill the screen with magic markers.

The coach, the players and the Portuguese Federation aren't pointing fingers to FIFA over the goal. They know why the lost and it wasn't because Villa was 20 centimeters offside. It's not a case to bring to FIFA, it has nothing to do with the likes of Tevez, Rooney and the 2 from the USA. It's not. It was a honest mistake, not the linesman fault or the referee's incompetence. This was a human's mistake and every time a mistake like this comes up FIFA just love it's. It's what FIFA has been using to deny technology in football. "Football is a game with a human's component, if you remove that you remove the game" or whatever.

Shit happens. Not worthy call that the WC was ruined by this incident. It wasn't.

The offside isn't important, Portugal's failure to assume the match is what it's important. If we keep blaming the reason that Portugal lost was due to a ref's mistake, we going to lost track of what really happened in the game, and what happened was that a team that could of have taken this World Cup home, failed miserably cause the coach handling was awful, and most of the players(Ronaldo and Deco mainly) couldn't give a fuck.
That's what important. That's what we should be looking at. Why is that a team, a great team, that could have won the World Cup, did not play to it's full potential.

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
Portugal gone. Good. Sweet "revenge" for our loss at the Battle of Neuremberg, four years ago.

Next friday: A rematch for the 1998 half final. We lost on penalties, but this time we can overcome that famous defeat, also.

And, hopefully, we'll have a final with either Argentina or Germany, versus the Netherlands. Revenge for either '74 or '78!

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Man, as the match is going on, I realize that either Brazil or the Netherlands quitting so early on (well, not exactly early on) is a total bummer. Because they're pretty equal and are both fairly impressive right now.
EDIT: SNEIJDER!!!