World of Warcraft: A Religion?

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
Uuuuuuuuuuugh. Zeo Zijderfeld is a hooting idiot, is all I'm going to say about this.

...oh, and I can't help adding that as a roleplayer, there isn't as much of a golden society of ethical and fantastically emotional people, except for the drama-mongers who are quickly excised because it's a GAME, and we like to keep it at an arm's length that way.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
SuperFriendBFG said:
The only difference between Religion and WoW is the World of WarCraft players know that WoW is fictional.
Har har har.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
...Doesn't that make the Escapist a religion as well?

Now that would be ironic given all the atheists.
Yes, it is a religion.

You all don't know that, but you are worshipping Abe. All hail me.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
I wonder if there a WoW Fundamentalists. And everyone knows that the only valid religion is the Gospel of the Fly Spaghetti Monster.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008

...Which is exactly why I see this theory as a stretch. Very few WoW players have an unyeilding belief in the supernatural powers of Blizzard, for example. People are there for the rewarding feeling of getting that special pair of pants from a raid they've tried six times. No one in WoW, even on the RP servers, is really involved in the meaning of the game's world. I want to see this paper, because nothing I've seen so far would actually convince me that this is a religion.

Though I do think athiesm is just an ironic way to fill the religious need in people.

ExplosionProofTaco

Nov 13, 2008
If it is popular there is a chance some loser will turn it into a full blown religion. Por Examplar: http://www.jedichurch.org/learn-about-the-jedi-church.html (couldn't link to home page due to problems)

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
Phantom2595 said:

Actually, I believe atheism counts as a religion.
Don't start with them. I MEAN IT.

Ago Iterum

Dec 31, 2007
It depends what constitutes a religion, many people have different opinions. I'd say it's more of a cult.

Phantom2595 said:

Are you stupid? Or joking.

Fronken

May 10, 2008
Phantom2595 said:

Not really, seeing as we as Atheists dont believe in supernatural power or divine beings controlling the universe, we believe that each individual chooses how its life is going to play out, granted there are still things out of our control, but instead of calling it "the wrath of god", we call it "coincidence", and instead of being "blessed by god", we're "lucky".

But those things will always be around no matter what you call them, thus we as atheists control our own lifes and live by what standards are set by other people in the presence, and we make up our own minds about stuff instead of following a 2000 year old book for guidance/rules.

So no, Atheism is not a religion, seeing as we lack a "god/leader".

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
i do not consider video game pantheons worth mentioning. although a character may revere a particular god doesn't mean you yourself have to.

jemborg

Oct 10, 2008
Erana said:
Though I do think athiesm is just an ironic way to fill the religious need in people.
Oh, REALLY? Wouldn't it be easier to just choose religion instead? It's nice and simplistic.

Don't tell me, you're religious. So you have to see everyone in the same naive boat. I've seen that before, tsk.

Sure there is a religious "need" in people. Even Darwin postulated that "the desire to believe in a deity" had evolved for some reason- most likely survival purposes. But that doesn't make it true. It's like language skills, everybody has them, but they are expressed differently everywhere ie. many different languages.

Again; just because you believe heart and soul that "the sky is blue because it shines off of Krishna's skin" doesn't make it true.

I'll tell you what I believe... man created god in his own image. And that organised religion is a way of perverting and subverting people's natural conscience... by psychopaths.

Back on topic... although WoW has many ingame political angles, it doesn't constitute religion. Neither does fanatical enthusiasm. The article/paper is just semi-intellectual wank.

To quote me: It's a lot easier to be righteous than right.

Also, the world is NOT globular... it is banana shaped!

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
I think WoW lacks a key thing that all religions should have...

Belief and Faith, I don't really see how belief and faith can enter into World of Warcraft.

In all honesty though I wonder if anyone can prove me wrong on that...Is there belief and faith in Warcraft?
I don't know about that however I do know that people have physically assaulted others that were badmouthing it. Which puts it up there with christianity and scientology (and what all other religions?) with the militant protection of the structure.

Although I have to tell you that it is no easier to prove you right than it is to prove you wrong so I wouldn't hold on too strong with that last line.

Unless you plan to interview 11 million (well ok realistically 8 million and bunch of people abusing multiple accounts) people to see. I know I don't either way haha.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
jemborg said:
Erana said:
Oh, REALLY? Wouldn't it be easier to just choose religion instead? It's nice and simplistic.

Don't tell me, you're religious. So you have to see everyone in the same naive boat. I've seen that before, tsk.

Sure there is a religious "need" in people. Even Darwin postulated that "the desire to believe in a deity" had evolved for some reason- most likely survival purposes. But that doesn't make it true. It's like language skills, everybody has them, but they are expressed differently everywhere ie. many different languages.

Again; just because you believe heart and soul that "the sky is blue because it shines off of Krishna's skin" doesn't make it true.

I'll tell you what I believe... man created god in his own image. And that organised religion is a way of perverting and subverting people's natural conscience... by psychopaths.

Back on topic... although WoW has many ingame political angles, it doesn't constitute religion. Neither does fanatical enthusiasm. The article/paper is just semi-intellectual wank.

Wow, that was all pretty offensive.

But considering the fact that you react so strongly to a single sentence, you're just proving me right. You have such a strong belief that religion is convoluted that your feelings against it has become a faith, far beyond the logic that is the basis of atheism.

You've got a long way to go.

Samah

Jul 7, 2008
mangus said:
Faction alignment is closer to a religion... you should see some of the persecution that goes on based solely on whether you go with Horde or those inferior alliance curs.
/cheer
Quite a few of my friends played Alliance for years and recently re-rolled Horde (and are enjoying the game a lot more). Mind you the A:H ratio on my realm (Proudmoore) is ridiculous... something like 3:1 last I heard. We always get swamped in Wintergrasp.

jemborg

Oct 10, 2008
Erana said:
jemborg said:
Erana said:

Wow, that was all pretty offensive.

But considering the fact that you react so strongly to a single sentence, you're just proving me right. You have such a strong belief that religion is convoluted that your feelings against it has become a faith, far beyond the logic that is the basis of atheism.

You've got a long way to go.
As I said, "It's a lot easier to be righteous than right".

Sure, I was being strident. But I didn't really mean for you personally to take offence- that's your choice here. In fact, I was avoiding anything really ad hominem Erana. But I did call you to task over what I saw as a typically smug and naive statement. You might be a very nice person but if you want to make a comment like that expect a comeback, it's still a free (Western) world. There is no proof here that you are right.

True, I "...have such a strong belief that religion is convoluted..." indeed. But to see it in terms of it becoming it's own "faith" in the religious sense... no. You have pretty well demonstrated you have no understanding of "...the logic that is the basis of atheism". Else why would you make that initial remark (rhetorical)?

I see the side of religion(s) that is creative, beautiful, romantic, even wise, and... I also can see it's ugly mean blinkered arrogant side. I, like many modern people in the 21st century, am truly fed up with it. "Religion (ultimately politics) is the refuge of the scoundrel".

As for your strong comeback, well I like to think... "I reached her, I touched a part of her that was still free, a part that's still open, a part that still suspects the truth!". Haha, just kidding... or am I? Good thing the internet is anonymous, I might just be persecuted and murdered! Heh. As for "convoluted"- I really couldn't have put it better myself- you just projected your hypocrisy at me. "You've got a long way to go." Well... right back at ya.

Phantom2595

Sep 28, 2008
Fronken said:
Phantom2595 said:

Not really, seeing as we as Atheists dont believe in supernatural power or divine beings controlling the universe, we believe that each individual chooses how its life is going to play out, granted there are still things out of our control, but instead of calling it "the wrath of god", we call it "coincidence", and instead of being "blessed by god", we're "lucky".

But those things will always be around no matter what you call them, thus we as atheists control our own lifes and live by what standards are set by other people in the presence, and we make up our own minds about stuff instead of following a 2000 year old book for guidance/rules.

So no, Atheism is not a religion, seeing as we lack a "god/leader".
Well, religion means something you believe in. That doesn't have to be a god. So Atheists believe that they are responsible for what happens.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
Phantom2595 said:
no, Atheism is not a religion, seeing as we lack a "god/leader".
'Oh science, help us'
- South Park, in one of their wittier moments.