World of Warcraft Confirms Microtransactions

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
World of Warcraft Confirms Microtransactions

Blizzard has confirmed that microtransactions are coming to World of Warcraft.

The deflating [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125672-Rumor-World-of-Warcraft-To-Add-Microtransactions]. The way of the future is microtransaction-powered free-to-play, and Blizzard wants in on that action.

"For players who are already interested in the in-game items we offer, such as Pet Store pets and mounts, the benefits of an in-game store are pretty clear," Community Manager Micah "Bashiok" Whipple wrote in a Battle.net forum post. "We think everyone would appreciate the convenience of being able to make such purchases without having to leave the game, and ultimately that's our long-term goal for the system, though there's quite a bit of work involved in retrofitting those existing items into the new system."

Blizzard plans to begin testing its in-game store by introducing, initially in Asian regions, two new items: an experience buff and "an alternate way to acquire Lesser Charms of Good Fortune." Bashiok said Blizzard has received a lot of requests for those kinds of convenience items, but the final plans for the store have yet to be nailed down. "Ultimately it's still too early in the process to make any final determinations about our plans," he wrote, "but in the meantime, we hope you'll check out the in-game store once it's implemented on the PTR and let us know what you think."

Source: Battle.net [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9377319765?page=88#1745]

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Get ready, boys and girls, this firestorm is going to be one the likes of which we've never seen. Considering the game works a bit differently in the Asian regions, I am completely fine with them doing it there, but if it comes here...Ehhh. It's been happening before now with Recruit a Friend, which works BETTER than the proposed sale, and seriously, if you have issues accumulating 50 Lesser Charms a week you're playing the game wrong.

Not that people will realise that, however. There's going to be a lot - a LOT - of blind hatred for this before it's even out of PTR. Just you wait, Blizzard is going to be hated more than EA when this gets into the public eye.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
So quick question, that was answered a few days ago, why should MMO's even make compelling quests anymore if the majority of players are just going to blow through them?

The reason, because Money.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
So, a buy-in, a subscription and microtransactions.

Meh, I've never had any desire to play WoW, but now I've been put off for good.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
So you have to buy the game, all it's expansions and pay a subscription fee and now their asking for more money for XP boosts? Yeah, WoW's sinking faster than I would have thought.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Wait, wait, wait...
So, you have to buy into the game, pay a monthly subscription and they're putting in microtransactions?
Does nobody remember The Secret World, the MMO that had all of that and failed spectacularly? Because I'm damned sure those two facts are related.
I mean this is EA levels of greed. As if WoW wasn't dying fast enough.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
As I read the article, storm clouds have begun to form outside.

I'm kind of expecting a Horus Heresy level shitstorm from the WoW forums.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Kevlar Eater said:

Expecting? It's already happening. It's utterly horrifying to watch.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
(Insert Shit-Storm-A-Brewin pic here)

Let's face it, this won't stay Asia region specific no matter what anybody does. It really does seem as though Acti/Blizz are just taking the piss now because they know anybody playing WoW will put up with it.

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
Rossmallo said:
Kevlar Eater said:

Do you have a link to this horrifying to watch forum?

Fordo

Oct 17, 2007
The Blue mentions that Blizzard thinks people would appreciate being able to buy special mounts and pets in game. I'm not sure about that. If one of the main reasons for playing an MMO from blizzard is to be immersed in the World of Warcraft, why would you want a NPC to ask you to cough up real cash?

I think for whatever Blizzard has planned for the future, someone over there in the big comfy chairs thinks microtransactions are going to be a big part of it. They might as well utilize WoW's huge if not dwindling population to build up the system and see how well it works on a mass scale.

I'm the type of gamer who hates sheling out a dollar more than I need on a game. That said I spent almost 2 years paying for WoW. LoL is a great example of in game purchases that go well without damaging the game for the people like me playing on the free train. For WoW, it will be interesting to see how they balance the people merely playing the base pice from those paying extra...and for what items exactly.

JadeWah

Nov 4, 2008
Bah, no big surprise. It's just another step to going free-to-play model, probably within two years.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
TheProfessor234 said:
Rossmallo said:
Kevlar Eater said:

Do you have a link to this horrifying to watch forum?
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/872818/ So many threads sprouting up like weeds, it's like an all-you-can-eat of stupid. Bon appetit.

Speaking of Bon appetit...My capcha was "lumpy gravy" ...Kay then.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Wow, it's expensive as it stands; each expansion costs plus a monthly subscription. Hopefully they're tradable so you can buy them ingame with ingame gold from someone else if you want to keep your experience with items internal

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
For the record, WoW has had "microtransactions" for years, they've been selling pets and mounts for 10 or 20 bucks since the second expansion (they're on the fourth now). The news here is that they're setting up the store ingame, where previously you had to log into Battle.net through a browser to make purchases.

Just wanted to clear that up.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
I thought they already had things you could buy for real money in game.

What this tells me is that apparently they just didn't have an ingame shop for this.
Which would be a lot more convenient for those that actually buy the things in it.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
walrusaurus said:
For the record, WoW has had "microtransactions" for years, they've been selling pets and mounts for 10 or 20 bucks since the second expansion (they're on the fourth now). The news here is that they're setting up the store ingame, where previously you had to log into Battle.net through a browser to make purchases.

Just wanted to clear that up.
But that's always been limited to a handful of mounts and pets. Now it's going to be pay to level faster. And it's going to feel a lot more intrusive as more items are added.

To me it honestly feels greedy, but Acti/Blizz don't have the best record. WoW has earned it's last £8.99 from me if it continues down this path.

I don't think EXP boosters should ever be a microtransaction in an MMO. Leveling up should be FUN (as wow has been) not a race to the end. It's like square enix is porting a game to IOS or something.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Well they have to figure out how to get out of the massive debt hole the corporate raid is going to put them into. It's pay to win or die trying to get out of the money pit they've been thrown into.

My money is on the death of Activision Blizzard.
I don't really see a way out for them.