World of Warcraft Gets Microtransaction Pets, Players Freak Out

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Kross said:
Kalezian said:
the only drawback I see to him laughing is hitting stealth after backstabbing someone and his friends hear his little giggles, now if there is a command to make him laugh before you kill a player, that would be awesome.
I've found and killed quite a few rogues that forgot to put their pet away. Any pet is a dumb pet for a stealthed rogue. ;)
'Cept if it's a Wolpertinger, and that's only unless your opponent isn't drunk. ^^'

SonofSeth

Dec 16, 2007
shadow_pirate22 said:
Kalezian said:
as for the rest of us, does Lil' K.T. actually do damage to his zapable targets? or is it just some sort of emoticon that he does?
It just attacks random critters, like rats and spiders. Now, if it would attack other people's companion pets, then we'd have something to talk about. But all this is doing is making it so Blizzard is making the money off the out-of-game sold pets. It's not that big a deal, and it's not going to lead to blizzard selling lvl 80s or gold, not when they're tirelessly working against that.
If they started selling gold, at least that would kill the gold selling market and those corpse commercials in the cities.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Amnestic said:
As long as microtransactions have no affect on game balance or game progression, I see no issue. The pets are little more than a vanity item - actually, they're not more than a vanity item. That's all they are.

If people wanna pay $10 for a little Lich or a Pandaren monk (which does sound tempting), no qualms here.

But when if they move on to trading equipment for money, then there's something wrong.
This was what I was going to type if someone hadn't beaten me to the punch. That said...i'm probably going to be buying mini KT.

Darkstar370

Nov 5, 2009
Rested state, hearthstones, auction houses, leper gnomes
Uldaman, Gnomeregan, dishonorable kills

Zeppelins/boats, hunter class, level 60 xp cap
Swivel cam, deeprun tram, swirly ball, tradeskills

Winter Veil, Maraudon, fishing in Stranglethorn
Eye of Shadow, Launcher App, Arathi Basin

Shadowflame, Zul'Gurub, global chat, L2P n00b
Dungeon timers, world dragons, Kazzak kited to Stormwind

We didn't start the crying
The QQ hasn't ceased
Since warcraft's been released
You say it breaks the game
But play it just the same

Naxxaramus, shard bags, weather effects, server lag
Class talent revamps, Love is in the air

Shamans overpowered, linked auction houses
Tier 0.5, AQ hive, main tank is a bear

Arena teams, voice chat, rogues stabbing in the back
Plagueland towers, camped for hours, Silithyst is sand

Quel'Thalas, Azuremyst, Tseric logs out really pissed
Brewfest, Hallow's End, through the portal to Outland

The QQ hasn't ceased

Trade your epic gear for greens, blood elves dominate the scene
Karazhan, Zul'Aman, warriors rage

Warlock nerfs, server locusts, Coilfang, set focus
Arcane shot, druid HoTs, kite Tin Man cross the stage

+Healing/Spell, Halaa, retcons, Akama
MP5, Maghar alive, max debuff stack

Welfare gear, arena's quear, Metzen the Reindeer
AV NPC's axed, TK merely a setback

The QQ hasn't ceased

Gemcuitting, Inscription, engineering's just for fun
Heroic dungeons, badge gear, you are not prepared

Dalaran and back again, no class trainers in Northrend
Tier looks dreary, Martin Fury, nobles deck to darkmoon faire

Gear score, get on vent, grind rep with argent tournament
Midair combat, Patchwerk in three minutes flat

South Park, Ulduar, Garrosh and the Chin
Might as well pack it in, all your gear's replaced in Cat again

The QQ hasn't ceased
But you still log on, and on, and on, and on...

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=20677636066&sid=1

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
johnx61 said:
Holy murloc shit.

If I'm reading this right then WoW, A pay-2-play MMO, now has an item shop? Ugh. Way to double dip, Blizzard. Excuse me, Actiblizzard. What's next, you'll trade me your "Sword of a Thousand Truths" for my "Wallet of a Thousand Greenbacks"? And no, donating to charity does not absolve you of this unforgivable crime.
Blizzard has been doing this since long before the Activision-Vivendi merger. TCG loot cards, collector's edition pets, BlizzCon pets. Did you have a problem with those too?

It's been happening from the beginning, and we're no closer to getting actual in-game equipment from them than we've ever been. I honestly don't see the issue in giving players the option to get something that has literally no effect on gameplay if they want to plunk the money down. No one's forcing anyone to buy it, y'know :p

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Speaking of the card game, it's actually pretty damn good, expensive yeah, compared to say Magic the Gathering, but fun.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Do I want a pet that murders all nearby Critters and cackles maniacally when I dominate someone in PvP? You bet your ass I do.

:p
My warlock would love that one. If I could afford even such a paltry microtransaction.

And if I still played WoW. I'm on the patch, you see.
No, no. Patch day isn't for a while still.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Darkstar370 said:
SNIP

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=20677636066&sid=1
Meter was a bit off in some spots, but good effort :)

rainman2203

Oct 22, 2008
This isn't that bad in my opinion. Initially I thought "Well, I can't say I'm suprised." but the charity aspect of the Panderan Monk is awesome. I just got done discussing something like this in a class. Methinks that if Blizzard kept up partnering with non-profits and sending proceeds earned from stuff like this to charities, it would be great not only for the organizations and the people who benefit from them but is EXCELLENT P.R. for Blizzard. Not that it needs it, but still.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
how do they make the connection from in-game pets to bassicaly you can buy the level 80 epic equipment charecter from the get-go?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
robert632 said:
how do they make the connection from in-game pets to bassicaly you can buy the level 80 epic equipment charecter from the get-go?
Like so. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope_fallacy]

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I think that if Blizzard would be selling level 80 characters would have to fall under some April Fool's prank. I mean, I know Blizzard has been adjusting their game so that new players can get to the end-game material. But, to suggest that they sell level 80 characters would make it all pointless.

I agree full heartily that micro-transactions in the form of in-game pets is a neat alternative for people who don't plan on buying the Collector's Editions or show/expo passes.

My only question is why not have the proceedings of both pets go to the Foundation? I would certainly pay the $10 for Lil' K.T., knowing my money was being used for a good cause.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
Amnestic said:
robert632 said:
Like so. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope_fallacy]
it's either that, or they're just pulling something out of their ass because they want a controvesy like MW2 or a boycott like L4D2.

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
Seeling (cosmetic) items for real money is as old as the MMORPG itself.

Browsing the WoW forum on the matter. I came across this gem of a post I came across that i'll share with you.

Give thanks to the higher powers for being lucky as you are and have 10 bucks to spend on that. Most of us, do not have it. So, since you have it, you are at an advantage over me, that shell out the same 14.99 or whatever bucks per month to play the same game, only, you will be passing by with your 10 bucks insta-pet and i will be with my pet that took me a month to acquire. How is it fair? this is the biggest bull!@!! i ever seen in wow since i play. I knew this was gonna happen, sooner or later. Thats why i subs other mmos. its just a question of time now. But hey, great idea, keep it.
THis made my day. Im glad I quit playing WoW, really.

Cilliandrew

Jul 10, 2009
Those monks are all kinds of awesome, though. I saw a guy in front of the Dal bank just standing around with him. They are entirely worth 10 bucks, especially with half the proceeds going to charity. I am definitely going to buy 1.