World of Warcraft Gets Microtransaction Pets, Players Freak Out

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Pirce said:
I wonder how they will react when they figure out that Blizzard is starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel with Warcraft villains?
You know, they could do this crazy thing - now, hear me out - and make up new ones.

You know, like they did for all the final raid bosses except KT in vanilla?

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
I've never played WOW, but I do have lots of friends that play. I don't know how this could affect gameplay badly, but as for buying a character? I play Guild Wars and they have microtransactions now, but I'm pretty sure you can't buy a level 20 character right off the bat. If they're not going to do it, why would a p2p game do it? I can't see where pets equal characters.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Macksheath said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Besides, that Lil' K.T. is just adorable. How could you say no to that lovable, horrifying undead visage?
Its just the pro-fags talking; they have been saying WoW has been going downhill since beta
Fixed =_=

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Macksheath said:
Amnestic said:
Macksheath said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Besides, that Lil' K.T. is just adorable. How could you say no to that lovable, horrifying undead visage?
Its just the pro-fags talking; they have been saying WoW has been going downhill since alpha
Fixed =_=
Fixed more. If there is such a thing.
There is, but Alphas are friends and family only - in Blizzard's case at least. Then you get Closed Beta (invite only) then Open Beta (everyone can join!), then retail.

At least, I believe that was how it went for WoW.

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
There was a fiasco on genral discussion the day after I get suspended?
dagnabit, of all the luck.

That said, the pets are awesome; I'm seriously tempted to dish out the $20 for them.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
I personally love how those who can't defend their position attempt to dismiss well-reasoned arguments with "It's just the pro-fags talking".

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
solidstatemind said:
I personally love how those who can't defend their position attempt to dismiss well-reasoned arguments with "It's just the pro-fags talking".
...but I think they were agreeing with you that it's a silly thing to get upset over.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Speak for yourself, man. Do I want a pet that murders all nearby Critters and cackles maniacally when I dominate someone in PvP? You bet your ass I do.

:p
My WoW-playing friend was skeptical at first about buying a pet. Then he saw his girlfriend with Lil' K.T., realized just how awesomely cute it is, and got his own immediately. He LOVES it.

ElDee

Oct 3, 2009
Pirce said:
I wonder how they will react when they figure out that Blizzard is starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel with Warcraft villains?
Uhh... what? Blizzard have plenty of villains left and that's without building up new ones in the comics, novels, expansions and content patches.

I'm a bit of a lore geek, so bear with me here...

- Deathwing, formerly Neltharion the Earthwarder, fallen leader of the Black Dragonflight. He's being used as the main villain in the next expansion.

- Nozdormu the Timeless, leader of the Bronze Dragonflight. Rather than fighting against them, quests have hinted that Nozdormu may actually be leading the Infinite Dragonflight which players have been fighting in the Caverns of Time instances.

- The Old Gods. C'Thun and Yogg-Saron have been defeated, but depending on which source is correct there are up to three of them left imprisoned beneath Azeroth. One of them is corrupting the Emerald Dream and one of them turned the Highborne into the Naga.

- Ragnaros the Firelord was banished back to the Elemental Plane. He didn't die in Molten Core and will be back in Cataclysm.

- Kil'Jaeden the Deciever wasn't killed at the end of The Burning Crusade, players only interrupted his attempt to summon himself to Azeroth.

- Sargeras, the Dark Titan. Lord and creator of the Burning Legion and basically the ultimate expression of evil in the Warcraft universe.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Hah, I used to work for a video game store and the obsession with that game amused me to no end. We would always be out of WoW trading cards because a couple who played WoW would literally call us every day until we got more in. They'd buy the entire carton of booster packs each time.

I like the idea of the vanity pets though. A lot of MMOs have stuff you can buy that's purely for aesthetics. I should expect the same from the MMO that people worship, ruin school lives, and end marraiges over.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I'm all for easily attained pets, but the real piss-take for me is the Pandaren Monk.

I'm getting the feeling that if you can have it as an actual Pet, then it's incresingly less likely that they'll be a playable class in the future.
(Which is what I honestly think they should have gone with instead of Worgens for Cataclysm).
This makes me entirely unimpressed.

But agreed, Lil' K.T is freaking awesome.
Just a shame I have no real-world money for one, I'll just have to make do with my Mr. Chilly.

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
Ashbax said:
No ones gonna buy them anyway, so the outrage is kinda pointless.

Besides, none of them are better than Mr. Chilly the Penguin!

I wuv my Mistur chilee...
I would want to have one of those and i'd pay 50$ for one.

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
Its nice to see blizz both have players send even more money to their golden palace atop mount Olympus and give money to charity at the same time.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Slider2k said:
Blizzard needs your money.
When spoken by Mr. S. Thompson, those words carry some extra weight for me.

As for the pets, I'm amused that the cooler pet does not put any money to charity. I gotta budget this out soon, I need that KT. I am all for the charity donation as well.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
coldfrog said:
Slider2k said:
Blizzard needs your money.
When spoken by Mr. S. Thompson, those words carry some extra weight for me.

As for the pets, I'm amused that the cooler pet does not put any money to charity. I gotta budget this out soon, I need that KT. I am all for the charity donation as well.
Yeah, I was disappointed that they're only making donations for one of the two pets.
Also, the cash is an issue, if they'd made it a dollar or two, it's still a million bucks for designing one new pet if 10% take it up.

To me, $10 is nearly a month's playtime or a Fallout DLC, or a full game like Plants vs Zombies.

I'm pretty careful with my cash, apart from my regular £9 a month to Blizz, so I'm going to have to pass.

There again, maybe they're NOT planning on flooding the game with stuff like this, in which case, if it's only occasional items here and there, the price isn't so bad as they're not going to rake it in so much at low costs without a lot of items.

If it does continue, I'd at least want them to keep the quality up by having this level of individuality, and the fact that they interact with either players or the environment, the panda replying to /bow emotes with his own, for instance.

Guyovick

Nov 5, 2009
Wouldn't the term "pet" be a misnomer here? Both of these "pets" sound like they are sentient beings. As such wouldn't it be correct to call them "slaves"? Although, that doesn't sound as cute.

I might be a little late to the party with this question, seeing as how I don't play WOW.