World of Warcraft Player Reaches Level 90 Without Choosing a Faction

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
World of Warcraft Player Reaches Level 90 Without Choosing a Faction

World of Warcraft player Doubleagent has reached game's max level without leaving the Pandaren starting zone.

When we last checked in on World of Warcraft player "Doubleagent" - the "factionless" Pandaren shaman - he had just dinged level 60 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126640-WoW-Player-Hits-Level-60-Without-Picking-a-Faction]. Now, he has fully completed his journey, and reached level 90, the game's current max level, without choosing a faction. He is World of Warcraft's first ever "neutral" max level player.

So how did he do it? How do you get to level 90 when you can't leave the starting zone, where the maximum level of the monsters is 10? Through mining and herbalism. "Picking herbs, mining, and quests. Initially there was also mob kills, zone quests, and possibly exploration, but it's been a very long time since I've gotten any experience from that," explained Doubleagent, when asked how he pulled off this unusual feat. He says he has been working on the character off and on since September 2012.

As for why he did it, it basically boils down to the age-old reason why any man ever does anything: to prove someone wrong. "I probably would have given up on it awhile back had my friend not suggested that I would never be able to do it. But now I will be able to say I have a 90, max level, of every faction."

For those wondering why he didn't just use the instant level 90 boost [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131413-Update-WoW-Warlords-of-Draenor-Pre-Order-Bonus-is-an-Instant-Level-90], apparently using the boost with a Pandaren character forces you to chose a faction.

Doubleagent says he plans to continue to level his neutral shaman to level 100 when Warlords of Dreanor comes out.

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/13204930582]

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
They'd better make a Feat of Strength for that, he spent waaaay too much time doing it otherwise.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
You know, just because someone says you shouldn't do something doesn't necessarily mean you should set out to prove them wrong.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
man, imagine all the boars he killed

in my opinion this seems like a huge waste of time but meh, its his life

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
So what is his /played? I'd expect it to be massive. He must have spent years of his life time on that.

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
Well, at least he is dedicated. They said he couldn't, they said he shouldn't, but he did it anyway. Congratulations on beating peer-pressure if nothing else.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Rule number one of constructing MMOs: If it is possible at all, one of your players will do it eventually. Especially if you discourage it. They will also do things you originally thought to be literally impossible, because there are a lot more of them thinking about the game.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Now if only he could get out in the world. See the sights... be neutral to everyone.

Queue up for both faction's BGs...

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
RA92 said:
I usually tend to stay away from topics that don't interest me, and I'm sorry for what I am about to do, but...

<color=red>WHO CARES?
This is literally the first time I support a statement like this one, but yeah, I fully agree.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Sounds awfully boring to only level up through mining and herbalism.

Too bad there wasn't some glitch he could exploit to get off the island and still be neutral.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Not sure if I should clap or facepalm....

Even if it was in spare time, and just to "win" a bet....just...whyyyyyyyyy?

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
So is this the same guy that first did this in the lower level caps or is this a new guy. The lengths people will go to for 15 mins of fame.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Good for this guy. Smart money is that he's done something here that nobody else will ever match.

Similar to how I thought the story about the decade-long Civilization game was interesting. But Warcraft is still further down the gaming community totem pole, I guess.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
Escapist community, I expect more from you. A man proves today that neutrality can be performed in a (game) world torn by war, and you mock him for his dedication?

If anything, this is a testament to what can be accomplished in the digital media, and should be treated as such.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
rofltehcat said:
So what is his /played? I'd expect it to be massive. He must have spent years of his life time on that.
To be fair, MoP has only been out since September of 2012. But yeah, almost 2 years is still a long ass time.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Well on the one hand he did something that noone else has done before him and I doubt someone else will do this ever again. So congrats for that.

On the other hand: seriously? Why would you waste so much time on something so excruciatingly tedious? This is the pinnacle of pointless grinding. Unless someone offers you a butload of money that you could not earn in a faster way (like a job) I really don't see the point. Because you can is not a reason.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Eve Charm said:
So is this the same guy that first did this in the lower level caps or is this a new guy. The lengths people will go to for 15 mins of fame.
Escapist says yes: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126640-WoW-Player-Hits-Level-60-Without-Picking-a-Faction

So it's really "WoW Player reaches new level cap with existing character." That's much less impressive. :p

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
rofltehcat said:
Think he said it was like 170 + days on that character.