World of Warcraft Player Reaches Level 90 Without Choosing a Faction

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Use_Imagination_here said:
RA92 said:
I usually tend to stay away from topics that don't interest me, and I'm sorry for what I am about to do, but...

<color=red>WHO CARES?
People who play/have played this game? You do know that there are probably thousands of people on this website who gave a good chunk of their lives to this stupid game?

I find pretty interesting.
I play plenty of games that are time sinks as well... but this just seems like tedium for tedium's sake. It didn't result in any awesome creations like those in Minecraft, or give us hitherto unknown levels of knowledge about the behaviour of the game, like running a Quake 3 bot-vs-bot match for 4 years.

It's like hearing someone grinding up their Pokemon to Lv 100 without leaving the first town area. It's... impressive to some, I guess?

omega 616 said:
Ok, it wasn't the traditional way to hit the max level but he wanted to do it and he did. What about people who play starcraft or LOL/DOTA to get better, for what? You're just doing the same crap over and over again. Just about all multiplayer games are like that, banging your head against a wall for no reason except for fun.
Thgere's a difference because playing a match of Starcraft takes skill, and you play it over and over for the challenge of beating another person, not to keep on grinding tediously purely to chase some arbitrary number?

I mean, I take my original comment back, clearly a lot people finds this interesting, but c'mon, this isn't comparable to MP games.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Carsus Tyrell said:
Good lord, I know a lot of escapist users like to pretend they have the whole "cool intellectual cynic" shtick but there comes a point when you just appear bitter and miserable.
Seconded! I'm actually amazed at the sheer amount of negativity on display here. This guy has, through patience and dedication, achieved something that was previously seen as impossible. Just the fact that someone would even think to TRY and do this is awesome enough - the fact that he actually pulled it off is truly inspiring.

I don't see how this particular instance is any more a waste of time than any and all time sunk into any game ever.
Also seconded. The beauty of a game like WoW is just that - you can play it any way you want. Where others saw a boundary (choose a faction or be stuck), this guy saw a challenge!

I wish him the best of luck in the upcoming expansion.

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
What a peaceful/hardworking WoW character if they turned him into a card or story. Good for him.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I bet he has those herbalism and mining nodes down to a science. Like, in his mind he instantly knows the exact second they are pickable.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
I thought this happened a while ago? Also, why do such a thing if there's no benefit ._.
In Guild Wars you can do something but it's the equivalent of a feat of strength so there's some achievement

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
BoogieManFL said:
I wonder how much gold he made selling that crapton of ore and herbs.
From his forum post:

How much gold do you have? What are you doing with it?
At about 16,500 gold at the moment. Used to make more when I had inscription to vendor Moonglow ink stacks. I joke all the time on the isle about waiting for the Riding Trainer to respawn and buying some Riding Training.

Source: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/13204930582

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
So he intentionally made WoW even more boring than it usually is? I guess that's newsworthy.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Fasckira said:
RealRT said:
Wow, that's... so unremarkable. Why is this in news again?
Its an oddity, a curious bit of information thats just happened. Same reason most things end up in the news.

The same query could be turned on you - why did you bother commenting again? :p
To let the poster know that I don't consider some nerd nerding it out in a shitty game worthy of being in news.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
I used to play wow. The games asks you to commit time and money for months at a time.

I'm sure the guy behind the panda felt awesome as he got to his goal.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
RealRT said:
Fasckira said:
RealRT said:
Wow, that's... so unremarkable. Why is this in news again?
Its an oddity, a curious bit of information thats just happened. Same reason most things end up in the news.

The same query could be turned on you - why did you bother commenting again? :p
To let the poster know that I don't consider some nerd nerding it out in a shitty game worthy of being in news.
Congratulations. My intrigue and interest in this bit of news invalidates you non-interest. :D

Ragnar47183

Mar 5, 2014
I dont understand. This isn't something that takes any amount of skill or talent. All this takes is an excessive amount of free time. This is sad.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
ITT: Nerds calling nerds nerds because they play one video game for ungodly amount of hours instead of another. Seriously folks, you could have played one video game for 10 minutes ever in your whole life and you still wasted your time in the end. Get the fuck over yourselves

OT: Congrats to the dude, that takes some serious dedication. I liked the idea of a Hearthstone card instead of a FoS, I doubt they would ever make one for something only 1 player has ever accomplished (and probably the only one ever)

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
prpshrt said:
I thought this happened a while ago? Also, why do such a thing if there's no benefit ._.
In Guild Wars you can do something but it's the equivalent of a feat of strength so there's some achievement
yeah, that was for level 60

now he's hit level 90

anybody who knows how leveling curves work can appreciate this

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
The way of the peaceful warrior. We could all learn from this. Except for those who disdain this, but they are only revealing that they are descendant from anal pustules.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
DugMachine said:
ITT: Nerds calling nerds nerds because they play one video game for ungodly amount of hours instead of another. Seriously folks, you could have played one video game for 10 minutes ever in your whole life and you still wasted your time in the end. Get the fuck over yourselves

OT: Congrats to the dude, that takes some serious dedication. I liked the idea of a Hearthstone card instead of a FoS, I doubt they would ever make one for something only 1 player has ever accomplished (and probably the only one ever)
Yeah, it's getting weirdly judgmental for a website where people talk all day about video games and ponies.

And I'd totally bet that this gets a mention in one of their games, even if it's just an achievement.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Nimcha said:
I would be impressed if this took actual skill. In theory anyone could do this given enough time, but nobody bothers.

I wonder why.
I'd say patience and diligence are very much skills being shown off here. Just anyone couldn't do this given enough time. The vast majority of people would give up and quit. Regardless of the validity of their reasons for quitting most people in fact can't do this even if they wanted to.

And many do bother, you can bet there's hundreds, if not thousands, of Pandaren over level 10 in that zone who set themselves the goal of achieving what this guy has. Yet only this guy has achieved this.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Congrats, Doubleagent! You have become the WoW equivlent of the Maple Story Islander!

*gets looks* I will explain.

In ye olden days of Maple Story, your character started out on a humble beginning island called Maple Island as a beginning class called...er...Beginner. After some initial training on game mechanics, you were told to leave said island to head to the mainland, where you could choose your class and continue on.

HOWEVER...

There were a select few players who, just for kicks and giggles, remained on that island and just kept hanging around killing minor mobs. They were known as Islanders by the masses, and many were both intrigued and confused as to why they would do such a thing. Still, many Islanders were actually respected for taking up the challenge to max out their levels by not leaving the island. Which would be quite the feat today, seeing as how Maple Story's new max level in now 250 compared to WoW's pitiful 100. *insert "shots fired" tag here*

Today, however, Islanders are few and far between. Especially seeing as how there's now a skill that allows you to return to Maple Island. (You couldn't before.) So...being an Islander isn't seen as such an amazing feat as people could easily fake it by remaining a Beginner, travelling elsewhere for higher EXP, and then coming back.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Surprised at the negativity in this thread. Then again, I was a former WoW player, so maybe I'm just biased.

Either way, congrats to you, Doubleagent. Shine on, you crazy bastard.