World of Warcraft to Give Away Level 80 Characters

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I got this email last night. It's been around 7 months since I stopped playing. No desire to go back. After playing for so many years, I finally got bored with it. I really don't think there's anything they can do that would get me to re-up.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Evil Smurf said:
how long does it take to normally get to level 80?
It took me about eh.. 100 hours play time with some boosting items? (About +20% XP and oodles of in-game experience) last time I did it. They've shortened Northrend (70-80) by 33% since then.

Honestly, the game and players trick you into believing PvE starts at max level. I had more fun levelling with a friend + skype and going through all the cool places offered to low levels than I ever did doing heroic raiding which is utter trash (Because having a strict schedule for "FUN" is my idea of fun... also it's not freaking hard, PvE raiding is all about orchestrating yourself and refining your movements until everyone does the correct things to kill the boss) . Okay, PvP was a little different, that really does only start at max level after stupid amounts of grind but getting people to skip over half the levelling process seems insane and last-ditch. That said, I don't think it's an offer I'd be able to refuse. If I wanted I could always use that 80 to get the experience booster items and level a new character 1-85 anyway.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Hmm speaking of which, anyone want to buy an account with an epic lvl 80 warrior and an epic lvl 80 death knight, with over 20k gold and both have mechano hogs and the warrior also has a traveler's tundra mammoth... any takers? Includes plenty of other chars like a Blood Guard ranked rogue at lvl 80, and some lower lvl paladin, mage, hunter... etc.

No?

Damnit.

Haven't played in years and don't intend to.

illas

RAWR!!!
Apr 4, 2010
Wait, so they spent an entire expansion re-invigorating the 1-80 content, and now they're encouraging people to skip all of it?

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I guess when I come back for Pandaria I can get my friends to send me one of these to level one of my last toons to 80, probably my Worgen warlock, who I didn't really play very much.

For a game as old as it is, it's about time they started doing things like this, past time really. If they're handing out level 80 toons, they should really expand their free trial into more of a f2p offering.

I really do wonder how many returning players don't already have level 80 toons, though they must be aiming for the people who sat out Cataclysm, or alt addicts like myself.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Sirron Kcuch said:
Blizzard is desperate, and there's no more to this
This is not a sign of desperation. Don't forget that they are still raking in several million in profits each month. They easily make the GDP of Norway without breaking a sweat.

This is simply their attempt at delaying the inevitable decay of gamers.
I forget where I read this, but supposedly the average MMORPG needs to get 200,000 subscribers for it to become financially viable (they make enough profit to keep their accounts in the green).

I think it will be quite a long time before WoW drops to that level (another 2 or 3 years I would assume).

But indeed, this whole marketing scheme does seem odd and smells strangely like desperation.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I can understand why some people might be annoyed about this, but you have to look at it this way.

The scroll of resurrection isn't a "give a random person the game" button. These things can only be given to someone who has paid for, bought and played the game before. Essentially, what this does is allow older subscribers who have already slogged through content to play with their friends and catch up. Keep in mind that if they want to actually play the game through, they still can. A lot of time, if you stop playing, you'll find that your friends have gone to a different server, faction-swapped, etc., and as someone for whom this was the case (and someone who had to level all the way back up on another server) I can fully appreciate that this would be a great way to get older subscribers back into the game pre-Mists.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
mattaui said:
I guess when I come back for Pandaria I can get my friends to send me one of these to level one of my last toons to 80, probably my Worgen warlock, who I didn't really play very much.
As per the article, the special offer only lasts for the next 90 days, so if you do want the benefits, you'd best ask for a friend to do it now and then cancel your account again until Pandaria

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Amnestic said:
mattaui said:
As per the article, the special offer only lasts for the next 90 days, so if you do want the benefits, you'd best ask for a friend to do it now and then cancel your account again until Pandaria
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not planning on coming back until then, so I guess I'll pass on this one. I suppose this gives another reason for the promotion, trying to get people back into the game for this expansion, much like the D3 promo.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Lol at EVERYONE saying WoW is dying. You all need a reality check. WoW is still the biggest kid on the block and will be for the forseeable future. Call me when another MMO gets 5+ million subscribers.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Sylveria said:
Trishbot said:
I'm surprised WoW lasted as long as it has... and it's certainly not dead yet.

Is it as good as its glory days? No. But remember it's been nearly a decade. How many games can boast that they have millions of people playing them 10 years later?

But it WILL go down eventually... and Blizzard will just have to do what they USED to do... make more, newer games instead of relying on just ONE game to keep them afloat for a decade.
How many games has Blizzard made in the past 25 years? 10? Less? Their whole business model has been to stay afloat on one or two titles for years at a time... it seems to work pretty well. I can't fathom why, but I can't deny the reality of things.
You don't want a new "The Lost Vikings" game?

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
And still...no MMORPG of the Mana series.

*shakes head* When will people ever learn...
Mana series as in Secret of Mana?

I'd love to see that.

However, it's Square Enix... and afaik, the producer for the Mana series has moved on and founded his own company years ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grezzo

The programmer of SoM retired to travel the world and live off the royalties and the composer... has recently worked on Soul Calibur V as well as a Touhou game... That's odd.

OT: It's craaaazy! Craaazy I tell you! The only way this makes sense it's that they plan to focus even more on the levelcapped raiding/gear grinding aspect of the game.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Oh, there's probably a shitstorm a brewing on the forums, full of angry people earned every one of those 80 levels and payed for vanilla through cataclysm.

Oh, and lets not forget how pitifully undergeared those 80s will be!

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
As a huge Blizzard fanboi, this really disappoints me. I always thought the leveling was the best part of the game. And how are you supposed to learn a class if you start at level 80 with a bazillion different spells in your spellbook?

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
mew4ever23 said:
Oh, and lets not forget how pitifully undergeared those 80s will be!
The resurrected players will probably have a set of Heirloom gear that will last them through their first quests in Cata.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I never quite understood why some vet players feel so annoyed when we wipe and have to spend just 3 mins ressing and re-preping to have another go at the boss encounter but I think im starting to get it now...

Don't get me wrong, I can never be one of those elitest dicks who go hating on newbs for making one or two little mistakes (hell, ive been playing the game on and off for a decade now and im still learning stuff), but even ive noticed a sharpe increase in peeps who have no idea what their doing in dungeons and raids. Some people are progressing faster then their learning the bloody game mechanics!

Ive been tanking for 10 years, ive only been tanking well for a year!