World of Warcraft to Give Away Level 80 Characters

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Well my prediction of wows death seems to be too far into the future
I now foresee it being very close
Anyway I'm not going back to that tip of a game, bring on the next guild wars please.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I lot of people I know who play WoW have always maintained that the game is a lot more enjoyable when you hit the level cap so I think this a pretty good move. Still not likely to play it myself (tried it a few years back, got bored by the time I hit level 10).

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Um... I've never played WoW, but wouldn't that kinda remove the sense of accomplishment one would get from achieving that status on their own. You know, assuming one had that patience and time for that.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Evil Smurf said:
how long does it take to normally get to level 80?
It varies greatly person to person, I've known hardcore people with full bonus exp gear do it in like a week by playing a lot of hours. But then there are people who only play say like 2-3 hours a day and it can take them a month or more.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
Meh, TOR aint a real threat. People are already starting to move back to WoW.
But instant level 80... fuck that. I played on a fun server for a while that had that. Instant max cap and free awesome weapons and without having to work for it it really robbed the fun from it. Now XP multipliers I can get and increased chances of loot drops I can get. But just giving it to you is kinda meh.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
And still...no MMORPG of the Mana series.

*shakes head* When will people ever learn...

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Looks like Blizzard finally decided to cave in to playing like Activision. Instead of trying to innovate and create to stay at the top, they are pulling crap maneuvers like this which won't get them anything when people who benefit by this end their subscriptions after 3 months when WoW becomes super boring to them.
And they may as well pull all those clauses against gold farmers in the TOA, since this makes them all pointless when people can farm gold with no penalty this way, now.
Between this and their maintaining their bullshit on Diablo 3, I am still done with this company.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
So the solution to make players enjoy the game and continue to subscribe is to inject the population full of people who were uber leveled up to max without having to learn how to play their class? Yeeeeah that will work out well im sure. Flashbacks of EQ monster missions are already rumbling thru my head. This can only be worse.

rapidoud said:
SWTOR lied to our faces,
Hrm. What lie do you mean?

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Maybe its time to go more deeply into free-to-play territory, it seems to be working for alot of other MMO's.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
My first thought when I read this article: Huh, so they realized that they have cancer and are using a bucket list?

Humanoid Pandas? Check.
Pokemon style Battles? Check.
Trying to keep as many subscribers as possible? Check.
Finally appeasing the fans? Who, the ones that don't talk and know how to save the game but don't care OR the vocal whining people who complain when things don't go their way and ensure the game gets nerfed.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
I dont think WoW is on its "last legs", but I do believe that they are trying as much as possible to get old players back. Every once in a while, they will have the Scroll of resurrection, so its not like this is a new thing, it was made quite a long time ago. However, this is the first time it has had this much benefit to the player. In other versions, you would get a 2 seated rocket mount, extra exp% for grouping with the person you "resurrected", and both had a portal spell to port to each other.

I dont think people are quitting because the game was "too hard"(in the begining of cata supposively), or "too easy"(now apparently), I think it is because the game is getting too old. People want something new and fresh, and there is only so much you can do with a game this old, especially when a lot of your lore based characters and locations have already been used. Lich king:dead. Illidan:dead. Death wing:dead. kil'jaeden:beaten back(although not dead). Really, the only people who we havent killed are azshara,one or two old gods, and sagaras himself. there isnt a whole lot bliz can do when they already used up a good percentage of all of the collected lore and big bads. This is why they made Mists of Pandaria.

I think as long as people like bliz and wow, it will be there until its age finally catches up to it, which it is doing right now. Personally, I look forward to MoP, and where WoW will go, and I have faith that bliz will do what they can to make the game as fun and interesting as ever.

Apart from that, a good number of people who have stopped playing the game have already leveled several 85's, so im sure that they wont be missing out on much skipping BC and Wrath when they already have seen it a billion times before.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
I have a couple of lvl85s and I stopped simply because I find the cap to be dull.
Having gotten my druid to 85 and geared her out with all the best PVP gear I then sat there and though "Now what?".

For me it was all about the adventure. The journey rather than the end destination.
I'm not someone who can spend hours and endless deaths doing guild runs of Heroic Ragnaros. That just bores me senseless.

It's all about those interesting points along the way which made the game worth playing and most of those interesting points were made with other players. For example, back in Vanilla I remember chasing a Tauren druid across the whole of Wetlands with my Hunter. We battled from one side right out into the sea. I killed him just as he hit his sea form and tried to swim away. We were both in the 30s.

Or when my guild and I (none of us over lvl40, again, this was weeks after WoW was released) defended Astranaar against a Horde attack and then went on to invade Splinter Tree Post.

But now there really isn't any world PvP. There isn't much interaction between players at all except in guilds.

The game has been made too easy, with automatic dungeon queue. automatic raids. automatic pvp. Now automatic lvl80. People never need to leave their capital city and most don't.
Next they'll probably introduce automatic looting in which you get gear without even having to enter a dungeon or BG, you just stand next to an AH.
As awesome as it is to fly around Azeroth I also feel that having flight killed world pvp and pve. No longer do I need to sneak or battle my way through enemies to get to a boss. Now I just fly over, drop on his head and kill him before flying off again.

The game has also lost its social aspect to some degree. Outside of guilds I found that very few people would interact with one another. I'd do LFD several times in a day and never have my party speak a word. I would say Hi and try to make a conversation but would usually be met with, "Shut up, lets just do this fast".
Getting a party to complete some lower level questing can also be much trickier than before with there actually being little need to do so. The entire game is now easily soloable, so you never need to speak to anyone at all.

Blizz has been undone in a very strange way. They have listened to the players TOO MUCH!
They have given us what we want and it's broken the game.
Lets be serious, we don't always know what makes a good game. We all think we do and certainly rant on forums that we do, but we don't.

I first cancelled my account back in February 2010 and then picked it back up in September 2011 to try out Cataclysm. I cancelled it again in February of this year after capping a few characters and realizing that sitting in AH for hours just wasn't worth the sub.
I'll probably pick it back up with MoP comes out but if Blizz makes the game even more easy then I can't really see myself playing once I cap a character.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
VoidWanderer said:
Humanoid Pandas? Check.
...were originally planned for The Burning Crusade but got shelved for a future expansion. I still have yet to see anyone point out to me how humanoid pandas are any weirder than humanoid cows or humanoid wolves. Or completely energy based life forms maintained by mummy wrappings. Or blue spacegoats.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
WoW is in trouble,
Just to be clear, this would be the WoW that even with the subscriber hit still has around 10 million active subscribers, right? The largest market share (by far) of any MMO?

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Kargathia said:
WoW is in trouble, Blizz is taking a hit requiring 600 people to be fired to maintain current straits, and now they must be in real trouble.
WoW is indeed entering the final stages of its cycle, but for that to imply Blizzard is actually in trouble... not so much. One might do well to remember that WoW irrevocably will go down as a massive success - even if its popularity slowly starts declining, years after it was expected to kick the bucket.
Blizzard will be in trouble. As shown by the major drop of subscribers and the following firing of 600 employees. They lacked the ability to keep as many workers because of a drop in subscribers while maintaining the current setups. Yeah they have DIII and SCII but warcraft is the big earner. A big CONSTANT earner. Starcraft and Diablo will only make so many sales and expansions take time. WoW was a constant income source. Blizzard as it is now and as it wants to be is in trouble.
"In trouble" as in "adjusting to a slowly declining cash flow": sure. "In trouble" as in "having a big hole in financing": no, not really.
Sure, they'll fire some of the army of support staff they took on to keep WoW running smoothly - as they're no longer neccessary - but that hardly constitutes them going into the red anytime soon.

This is equivalent to calling the billionaire "in trouble" because he slightly postpones buying his fifteenth yaught.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Amnestic said:
VoidWanderer said:
Humanoid Pandas? Check.
...were originally planned for The Burning Crusade but got shelved for a future expansion. I still have yet to see anyone point out to me how humanoid pandas are any weirder than humanoid cows or humanoid wolves. Or completely energy based life forms maintained by mummy wrappings. Or blue spacegoats.
Draenei were already established in the Lore of the game, and the Worgen while a new addition did make sense from their background as it fitted in quite nicely. Also the Tauren were also established in Warcraft 3. And those things, (can't remember name, and have long since stopped caring) were weird. Like the Ferengi clothes got damaged in the wash and somehow gained sentience.

Pandarens... were slotted into Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne for... what reason?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
VoidWanderer said:
Draenei were already established in the Lore of the game,
No, the Broken [http://www.wowpedia.org/Broken]/Lost Ones [http://www.wowpedia.org/Lost_Ones] were established in the lore. The Blue Spacegoats we saw in TBC were entirely new, and if you'd been around when they first announced it you'd have known that; you'd have seen the fan backlash. Especially since it included a retcon to their lore origins.

VoidWanderer said:
and the Worgen while a new addition did make sense from their background as it fitted in quite nicely.
I'm gonna hang on to this quote for a minute.

VoidWanderer said:
Pandarens... were slotted into Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne for... what reason?
So what you're saying is that Pandaren which had been established as a legitimate race since Frozen Throne and were mentioned in Vanilla WoW [http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:Chen%27s_Empty_Keg] are less acceptable than Worgen which hadn't been established as a real sapient race until WotLK at the very earliest?

That's a pretty silly viewpoint to take. You think Humanoid Pandas fit worse than Humanoid Cows or Humanoid Wolves? Why, exactly? What about the Pandaren is inherently less fitting to the Warcraft Universe than Tauren/Worgen?

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Suddenly making a character lvl 80 doesn't diminish that experience? Uh yes, yes it DOES. Because it bypasses the need to go through the challenges and things you face to get to that level and just tosses it to you in exchange for money.

But then again, I also think that not all WoW players have been enjoying that content and those systems the developers have come up with. I think a huge chunk of them have just been grinding as fast as possible, ignoring the content to get to endgame as fast as possible like they're trying to set a world record. Enough of them have been doing this, in fact, that it seems Blizzard's entire marketing scheme for WoW is not based around satisfying these fanatical, 20-hour-a-day grinding lunatics.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This is quite desperate. I doubt their efforts will make a difference.