World of Warcraft Visual History

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
World of Warcraft Visual History

Check out our visual history of the major events of World of Warcraft and its impact on MMOGs.

Read Full Article

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Intresting time line. Hopefuly 5 years from now there will still be more WoW goodness to temporaly map out.

The Undoer

Sep 13, 2009
Nice, I hope this WoW enthusiasm continues even after the Beta ends ;D Though I'm guessing a lot of the community are thinking in a different way ;(

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
I never really got into WoW, my friend gave me a free trail and I played that, but just not worth the 15 dollars a month. I think it would be pretty cool to be the first to kill a new boss, though.

Fusionxl

Oct 25, 2009
It's funny how EVE Online is now the second largest MMO out there, yet it's not even mentioned.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Now only if they took all the stuff thats happened in WoW and convert it into a really good RTS and named it "Warcraft 4". Then I'd be happy.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Fusionxl said:
It's funny how EVE Online is now the second largest MMO out there, yet it's not even mentioned.
Eve doesn't have a whole lot to do with WoW.

Yet.

Edit: Although to be fair, neither did MXO. *shrugs*

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
icyneesan said:
Now only if they took all the stuff thats happened in WoW and convert it into a really good RTS and named it "Warcraft 4". Then I'd be happy.
Or they just ignore whole WoW because its kinda messed up but that would be good too.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Fusionxl said:
Where did you hear that? Unless the numbers have drastically changed, EVE is not bigger than Lineage 1 or 2, Final Fantasy XI, Runescape, or Dofus.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
icyneesan said:
I highly doubt there would ever be a warcraft 4, unless they placed it several thousand years into the future where none of the previous heroes/ events still mattered. Otherwise WoW and Warcraft 4 would clash terribly in terms of story.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Fusionxl said:
Likely because the only relation EVE has to WoW is that they're both MMOs. All the other games listed were either direct predecessors to the genre, or were attempted "WoW-killers". Anyone who has ever played both EVE and WoW can easily tell that they compete with each other in the same way Madden competes with Pokemon.

Also, what Steve said. I bet you could add DDO to that list these days too.

Redratson

Jun 23, 2009
Ahhh sooo many memories and..................well thats just it, there just memories. I do miss a bit of vinalla WoW but w/e.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
What a blast from the past, and puts it into perspective how much I've been invested in this, which is ultimatly why I am both irritated about the direction Cataclysm is going in, and yet will probably buy/try it anyway just like a sheep.

I do however notice that in talking about Blizzard's victories over other MMO projects it doesn't mention any of the asian ones like "Ragnarok Online" that have claimed to have user bases far in excess of "World Of Warcraft".

Also it's been a while but didn't "Dark Sun Online" and "Meridian 59" both have 3d technology of a sort, and premiere with persistant worlds before "Ultima Online". I know they were out there (I went to UO from DSO) but I'm not sure how they are qualifying the 3d bit.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
and yet the class imbalances remain (probably, I havent played since the launch of lich king) I was hoping this was actually about how the look of the game changed instead of an mmo timeline staring wow

Nailz

Jul 13, 2010
I liked the old Alterac Valley, it was "too big" which made it an amazing experience with the right opponents and team. Back in the day, AV matches would last a good 8 hrs or so, I've yet to be satisfied from a battleground since.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Fusionxl said:
Its always seems to be WoW, and those games that want to be WoW...

Well, its got one hell of a history behind it