World's best suggested paradox

Soveru

Jul 12, 2010
You're in a car going at the speed of light. It is pitch black outside and then you turn on the headlights. Do you see anything?

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
KEM10 said:
RobCoxxy said:
KEM10 said:
That one I enjoy, and the ham sandwich.
Nothing it better than eternal happiness.
A ham sandwich is better than nothing.
Therefore, by the transitive property, a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness.
QED
Yes there is.
Bacon.
Just realized what happened.
Bacon, in and of itself, is not eternal. It can be a cause of happiness, but its limited time frame in eternity means that it is only a small portion (if one at all).
Well, same with a ham sandwich, but.... bacon is the better version.... so... what is bacon?

YoBadMama

Apr 21, 2010
caspertjuhh said:
The last man on earth sat in a room.

then there came a knock on the door.

----
shortest scary story ever.
That's because it was a zombie.

What happens when Chuck Norris roundhouse kicks Mr.T while Mr.T was punching Chuck Norris?

YoBadMama

Apr 21, 2010
Death God said:
FalloutJack said:
Best paradox? Here you go.

Oh, and on the subject of irresistable force VS an immovable object? The universe moves instead...
I must be missing something but I don't get the picture right now.
Because paradox rhymes with "Pair of Docks".

SmokingMirrors

Oct 3, 2010
Going back in time to stop something, anything from happening. It cannot be done without incurring a paradox.

That is if you consider time to be linear, or even something tangible to begin with.

Toranilor

Feb 22, 2009
A fun thing I picked up in 4-U maths class last year; Supernatural numbers.

Imagine a list of decimal numbers, for example:

Now, imagine if you took the first digit of the first number, added one, the second digit of the second number, added one, and constructed a new number;

-----------

Now imagine that this list is infinite, encompassing all numbers. The number formed by the (number digit +1) method will already exist inside the series , and thus the final number will have at least one digit different.. to itself.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
royohz said:
2xDouble said:
royohz said:
Basically, what do you think is the world's funniest or most mind-boggling suggested paradox?

Mine is:
What happens if you put super glue on a Teflon-covered frying pan?
A better question is, "How did they get the Teflon to stick to the frying pan?"
Nope, sorry. Intense heat and pressure is the answer.
And the answer to your question is a hardend disc of glue that slides off the teflon.
next.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Geekosaurus said:
You can't divide by zero. Yes you fucking can. I have two apples, I don't divide by anything so I still have two apples. The mathematicians just don't want to admit defeat.
Not dividing and dividing by zero are two different things :>

royohz

Official punching bag!
Jul 23, 2009
Fetzenfisch said:
royohz said:
2xDouble said:
royohz said:
Basically, what do you think is the world's funniest or most mind-boggling suggested paradox?

Mine is:
What happens if you put super glue on a Teflon-covered frying pan?
A better question is, "How did they get the Teflon to stick to the frying pan?"
Nope, sorry. Intense heat and pressure is the answer.
And the answer to your question is a hardend disc of glue that slides off the teflon.
next.
But glue, like epoxy glue supposedly sticks to anything!

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
This one is a quote from a friend that has an odd Zen like quality to it and it gets better the more you ponder it: "Wearing a watch is a waste of time."

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
The crocodile sophisme is the best paradox I've ever read,and I got a whole book on mathematical,logical and optical illusions.
It goes something like this:

The Crocodile Dilemma is an unsolvable problem in logic. The premise states that a crocodile who has stolen a child promises the father that his son will be returned if and only if he can correctly predict whether or not the crocodile will return the child.

The transaction is logically smooth (but unpredictable) if the father guesses that the child will be returned, but a dilemma arises for the crocodile if he guesses that the child will not be returned. In the case that the crocodile decides to keep the child, he violates his terms: the father's prediction has been validated, and the child should be returned. However, in the case that the crocodile decides to give back the child, he still violates his terms, even if this decision is based on the previous result: the father's prediction has been falsified, and the child should not be returned. The question of what the crocodile should do is therefore paradoxical, and there is no justifiable solution.

I copied it from wiki,but I prefer the more storified version,where the father is really an Egyptian mother.

multiple_man

Jul 23, 2008
caspertjuhh said:
The last man on earth sat in a room.

then there came a knock on the door.

----
shortest scary story ever.
it was the last woman on earth (or even just ANY woman)

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
eggy32 said:
Geekosaurus said:
You can't divide by zero. Yes you fucking can. I have two apples, I don't divide by anything so I still have two apples. The mathematicians just don't want to admit defeat.
Well done for proving yourself wrong. You tried to prove you can divide something by not dividing something. It's almost a paradox in itself.
No, you cannot divide by zero. Not directly.

The problem with the inner post here is that the there is some confusion between "division" and subtraction. You can easily subtract zero elements of a set. This is indeed such a trivial thing to do that it forms a basic mathematical identity: a - 0 = a (a being a real number). What the post suggest is subtraction.

Division on the other hand is fundamentally different. If you imagine a pie, you can imagine the pie being divided into say four equal segments. Or 8 or whatever number you want. It turns out, the number of segments you get out of this pie is related to how much of the pie is in each segment. If you have 1 pie and you divide it into 10 segments, you have divided the pie by 10.

But when we divide by zero, we suddenly have a problem. We are asked to take that pie and slice segments that take up precisely no pie at all. We can never finish the process of dividing the pie by virtue of the fact that we need to make infinity cuts to get the job done.

Of course, division by zero is a problem largely because of the number set we generally use. Complex mathematics offer ways to explore division by zero as a concept. But in the real number space (i.e. that useful space we use every day) you cannot do it. This is, incidentally, one of the two fundamental problems Calculus seeks to resolve. While we cannot divide by zero using real numbers, we at least have the means to gather sufficient information to understand what happens as we come very close to dividing by zero.

To the larger point, most paradoxes I have seen are the result of self reference. Most supposed mathematical paradoxes are not, in fact, paradoxes but rather are the result of mathematical fallacy.

Xyliss

Mar 21, 2010
hudsonzero said:
Squidden said:
How long will it take you to cross a crosswalk if with each step, you cut the distance you walked with the prior step by half?
well if we knew how big the initial step was, how long the cross-walk is and how long each step takes, you can work that out
Nope you'd theoretically never make it.