World's best suggested paradox

Liquid Ocelot

Nov 6, 2010
Father Time said:
SilverUchiha said:
If purple is the combination of Red and Blue... what is Red or Blue the combination of?
Red is the combination of Purple and anti-blue
Blue is the combination of Purple and anti-red

The grandfather paradox is an instant classic.

Also I forget the name but what's the smallest number not nameable in under 10 words?

I say it again what's

1. The
2. Smallest
3. Number
4. Not
5. Nameable
6. In
7. Under
8. Ten
9. Words?
1. 10,
2. The
3. Smallest
4. Number
5. Nameable
6. In
7. 10
8. Words
9. Or
10. Less

Alien Mole

The Quite Obscure
Oct 6, 2009
'The smallest number not nameable in under ten words or less' doesn't exist because 'the smallest number not nameable in under ten words or less' names it and is less than ten words. Therefore it will always be possible to refer to it using less than ten words.

BAM!

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
We all know that a Blendtec Blender is great and superb and all....

But will it Blend?
That is the question.

Mind=Blown

Piflik

Feb 25, 2010
Stephanos132 said:
Piflik said:
Sorry, but purple is not a wavelength of light. In fact it is the only color that doesn't exist as a wavelength. Visible light goes from red (long) to blue (short); purple would be shorter than blue and at the same time longer than red...
Surely that'd be the other way round, unless purple is ultraviolet and infrared at the same time...
No...that's exactly what I am talking about...purple doesn't exist as a singe wavelength, since it would have to be infrared and ultraviolet at the same time. I only exists as the combination of two wavelengths (one red, one blue). If you'd map all colors to a circle, you would have purple between blue and red, but in real life the spectrum is linear, with red on one end and blue on the other. The combination of them is not on that.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
I have a few:

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound?
What is the sound of one hand clapping?
If everything is one big circle of life, where do humans fit after they are dead and cremated?
"X" divided by 0 equals what?

Addicted Muffin

Nov 6, 2010
these arent paradoxes...most are just creative thoughts...

a paradox is a statment that contradicts itself...like

If pinocio said "My nose will grow", what will happen? if its the truth, his nose wont grow, but then its a lie, so it will...but wouldnt that make it true, thus you get into an endless cycle of it will and wont...

or a crocadile has a baby in it's mouth. The mother asks for it back, and the crocadile says, "I'll give it back if you can guess what i plan on doing with it." she says eat it, thats correct, but if the mother gets it back, her guess was wrong, and the crocadile cant give it back...

or the most famous... the two brothers, one lies, and one is truthful....

these are paradoxes

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Best paradox? Here you go.

Oh, and on the subject of irresistable force VS an immovable object? The universe moves instead...
I must be missing something but I don't get the picture right now.

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
Dragonpit said:
Uh...huh. The thing about the immovable object and the unstoppable force is that it is meant to describe two equal but opposing forces clashing, in which there are only three possible outcomes.

1: They clash for all eternity.
2: They destroy each other completely and simultaneously.
3: A third force intervenes, thereby changing the course of things, regardless of whether or not the third force survives.

Now, here are things to think about. I'm not sure if they're paradoxes, but I'll leave that to all of you.

Has anyone ever spoken Japanese with a British accent?
Why have they not made a orange-flavored Coca-Cola?
Would a rainy day constitute as a form of twilight?
Did you say orange flavored cola?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_Orange

Someonetookmyname

Jul 13, 2010
a missionary is caught by some headhunters, they tell him "if you lie to us, we'll cut your head off. If you tell the truth, we'll burn you"

the missionary answered "you'll cut my head off"

That_Swedish_Guy

Aug 9, 2010
reyttm4 said:
The paradox of motion named 'Achilles And The Tortoise"

In the paradox of Achilles and the Tortoise, Achilles is in a footrace with the tortoise. Achilles allows the tortoise a head start of 100 metres. If we suppose that each racer starts running at some constant speed (one very fast and one very slow), then after some finite time, Achilles will have run 100 metres, bringing him to the tortoise's starting point. During this time, the tortoise has run a much shorter distance, say, 10 metres. It will then take Achilles some further time to run that distance, by which time the tortoise will have advanced farther; and then more time still to reach this third point, while the tortoise moves ahead. Thus, whenever Achilles reaches somewhere the tortoise has been, he still has farther to go. Therefore, because there are an infinite number of points Achilles must reach where the tortoise has already been, he can never overtake the tortoise
That is, assuming that Achillies takes the same amount of time to cover each of the distances.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
thewiseoldguy said:
i like the one Homer (simpsons) made: Could Jesus make a burrito so hot, that even he couldnt eat it?
A bunch of 1st century barbarians effectively inflicted serious pain on him so yes.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
If you got the portals from Portal and put them both on a flat surface, then pressed both surfaces together so the portals met - would there be infinite space between the portals (I.E. if you were in the portals when they were pressed face-to-face, would you occupy any space?) or would it be an infinite non-space where a lack of space is repeated endlessly?

eggy32

Nov 19, 2009
zega frega omega said:
eggy32 said:
zega frega omega said:
If I take something that is six pounds, and turn it over, would it become nine pounds?
This doesn't make any sense. Explain it.
Because 9 is an upside-down 6. So if I take something that is 6 pounds and turn it over, it gets heavier. Science!
Of course, how could i have missed that?