World's best suggested paradox

Sinker

Jan 19, 2009
What if you put toast butter side up on the back of a cat then pick up the cat and drop it.

matt_newgrove

Aug 1, 2009
Squidden said:
How long will it take you to cross a crosswalk if with each step, you cut the distance you walked with the prior step by half?
Sounds like something a calculus teacher would use to introduce the concept of limits (or whatever it's called in english, lim when x nears zero and whatnot)

zega frega omega

Dec 5, 2010
eggy32 said:
zega frega omega said:
If I take something that is six pounds, and turn it over, would it become nine pounds?
This doesn't make any sense. Explain it.
Because 9 is an upside-down 6. So if I take something that is 6 pounds and turn it over, it gets heavier. Science!

The_Evermind

Jul 7, 2009
samuraiash1991 said:
One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight, back to back they faced eachover, drew the swords and shot eachover.

best paradox story i know :D
If you wanted to take it logically, 2 vampires at the north pole, at noon, in winter, back to back, shot each other with gun blades.

Geekosaurus said:
someonehairy-ish said:
You're mixed up between just not doing anything to the apples and dividing them by zero

I can't see the difference between those. No matter now many times it's explained to me.
How about this is multiplying by zero the same thing as not doing anything? No, because if you got 2 apples 0 times you wouldn't have any apples.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
gummibear76 said:
what happens if you glue some toast butter side up to the back of a cat, and then drop the cat?

Toast has been proven to fall unbuttered side down. Your paradox has been beaten!

OT:Okay I got one.

IF this sentence is true then it is false.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
Uh...huh. The thing about the immovable object and the unstoppable force is that it is meant to describe two equal but opposing forces clashing, in which there are only three possible outcomes.

1: They clash for all eternity.
2: They destroy each other completely and simultaneously.
3: A third force intervenes, thereby changing the course of things, regardless of whether or not the third force survives.

Now, here are things to think about. I'm not sure if they're paradoxes, but I'll leave that to all of you.

Has anyone ever spoken Japanese with a British accent?
Why have they not made a orange-flavored Coca-Cola?
Would a rainy day constitute as a form of twilight?

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Oh, and on the subject of irresistable force VS an immovable object? The universe moves instead...
OMFG THEY JUST PASS THROUGH EACH OTHER IT'S NOT HARD

TWRule

Dec 3, 2010
Dragonpit said:
Has anyone ever spoken Japanese with a British accent?
Why have they not made a orange-flavored Coca-Cola?
Would a rainy day constitute as a form of twilight?
1) Absolutely, there's nothing about a language that forces a particular accent.
2) Because "Cola" is actually a flavor of soda. Cherry cola is a mix of a cherry flavor with a cola flavor. Orange added to cola would probably be unpopular.
3) No, because twilight is defined by the time of day, not merely by light being refracted.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Squidden said:
How long will it take you to cross a crosswalk if with each step, you cut the distance you walked with the prior step by half?
You'll take the limit as x approaches the distance of the crosswalk.

matt_newgrove said:
Sounds like something a calculus teacher would use to introduce the concept of limits (or whatever it's called in english, lim when x nears zero and whatnot)
...ninja'd, shoot.

Qufang said:
A man walks up to you and says "I'm a compulsive liar", can you trust him?
No.

He just told you he lies a lot.

Megawizard said:
What happens when the unstoppable force hits the immovable object?
The unstoppable force technically wins. The result is a black hole.

The mistake is in assuming that the unstoppable force is linear.

blalien said:
If you assume God must follow the laws of physics, then he cannot create an object so big he cannot lift it. It costs far, far more energy to create something (mc^2) than to move it (mgh). Unless he consumes every bit of usable energy in the universe creating it. And if God does not follow physics, then all logic goes out the window, and it's not even worth discussing.
Or, as C.S. Lewis put it, the question itself is pure nonsense. If God is omnipotent, by definition that means there is no rock He can't lift. The question is a semantic absurdity, like asking if God can draw a "square circle."

Lavi

Sep 20, 2008
Squidden said:
That's not a paradox. You will never cross the crosswalk. Time approaches infinity.

Corkydog

Aug 16, 2009
SilverUchiha said:
N1ceDreamz said:
SilverUchiha said:
If purple is the combination of Red and Blue... what is Red or Blue the combination of?
Red and Blue aren't combinations of anything, they are two of the three primary colours which combine to give every other colour.
So does that mean that Red and Blue get away with the same excuse that God does in that they create everything but they just existed from the beginning and nothing actually made them? I don't buy that.
The primary colors don't just exist, they are still frequencies of light, caused by energy emmission. You just can't make a primary color from other colors.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
InnerRebellion said:
Not a paradox, but...

1+1=1.

You have one pile of dirt here, and one pile of dirt there. You push them together, and you still have one, bigger pile.
you actually have 2 piles of dirt mixed in with each other.

IMakeIce

Dec 21, 2010
Nibbles said:
Squidden said:
That's not a paradox. You will never cross the crosswalk. Time approaches infinity.
That's a hairy thing to say...because you _will_ (mathematically proven) cross the sidewalk at infinite time.

It's a question of semantics, perception of time, and other things that could (have, usually are, probably will be) be debated ad nausaeum; but according to the geometric series describing the crosswalk problem, you definitely will reach the other end of the sidewalk (assuming natural death of old age is not a factor).

Series is: 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + .... = 1

V1C3M4N

Nov 28, 2008
Squidden said:
How big is the first step, not really a paradox

sycoesis

May 31, 2010
Geekosaurus said:
You can't divide by zero. Yes you fucking can. I have two apples, I don't divide by anything so I still have two apples. The mathematicians just don't want to admit defeat.
but if you have them then you divided by 1

if you have 2 apples and divide then by 0 then you have 0 groups of 2 apples and there fore nothing youve now deleted matter and broken the laws of physics

edit ot time traveler goes back in time and invents time travel before the original person