Worst. Ending. Ever.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
Game: The Darkness.

Now, I know, obviously, that they couldn't have had Jackie fight the Darkness and be free of it, it would have ruined the opportunity to make a franchise, but did they have to spend so much of the plot pretending that they were going to let him fight it in the first place? It just felt like a big climactic moment on the horizon, and then . . . oh, we're done.

Movie: Source Code. Now, this wasn't just a case of a movie with a bad ending. No, this went beyond that, to a movie with a perfectly good ending . . . and then they keep going.

So, the hero, who is essentially dead, but with his mind inside a program that lets him relive the last 8 minutes of another man's life, manages to discover the identity of a bomber (the objective of his mission), but begs to be sent back into the program so he can stop the bomber and save the girl he has fallen in love with, despite the warnings that none of it is real, and it's futile anyway. Nevertheless, he stops the bomber, saves the girl, and there are some touching romantic scenes with them together, while the audience waits for the hero to die, finally at peace. The woman he convinced to send him back into the program terminates his life, against the will of her superiors. This was, I thought, the ending, and it certainly did the job. I was quite touched by his determination to save this girl, even though it was futile. But no. Instead, it turns out that he actually changed history and creates a parallel universe, where the bomb never went off, and somehow the hero's consciousness is still inside the man he was inhabiting as well as in his own body, and his sacrifice was no longer a sacrifice at all . . . and meh. I guess some people might prefer the real ending, but I still think a good chunk of that film could have been sliced off at the end.

Book: Stephen King's Thinner. That sort of ending would have worked way better in a short story, but

you just don't have the protagonist fail drastically at his mission and stay cursed anyway after you've sent me through an entire bloody novel. A short story, that's fine, we don't mind if the main characters fail or die, but don't ask me to put emotional investment in this guy only to have him fail anyway.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Gizmo1990 said:
Movie: The Matrix Revolutions. Neo is Jesus. They should have just ended the movie with Keanu Reeves giving the screen the middle finger and him shouting Fuck you at the viewers.
What's wrong with the ending of Matrix Revolutions? Neo was obviously supposed to be a Jesus-like character from the very start of the trilogy. I really don't get the amount of hate the Matrix sequels get. I think they were good. Not as good as the first, but still good.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Liquidacid23 said:
Vault101 said:
Red Dead Redemption

no, seriously fuck that game

fuck that game for ripping out my heart and stomping on while sadistically yelling at me and telling my all my hopes and dreams are doomed to fail while punhing me in the face and making me cry

fuck that game
ya but that is not the actual ending... there is that whole ending section after that where you play as the son and get to murder everyone in cold blood for revenge that is the real ending... and I found it very satisfying
ahh but thats the even MORE depressing part of it

SPOILERS

Jack marston became just like his father...a lost soul riding aorund gunslinging..its exactally what Jhon and Abagail DIDN'T want

essentially his fathers past..that asshole FBI guy defined who Jack became, John faild in every way possible, and Im pretty sure Jack isnt happy or living up to what could have been

Grey Walker

Jul 9, 2010
Vault101 said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Vault101 said:
Red Dead Redemption

fuck that game for ripping out my heart and stomping on while sadistically yelling at me and telling my all my hopes and dreams are doomed to fail while punhing me in the face and making me cry

fuck that game
ya but that is not the actual ending... there is that whole ending section after that where you play as the son and get to murder everyone in cold blood for revenge that is the real ending... and I found it very satisfying
ahh but thats the even MORE depressing part of it

SPOILERS

Jack marston became just like his father...a lost soul riding aorund gunslinging..its exactally what Jhon and Abagail DIDN'T want

essentially his fathers past..that asshole FBI guy defined who Jack became, John faild in every way possible, and Im pretty sure Jack isnt happy or living up to what could have been
Interestingly enough, that's exactly the reason I liked it. Unlike some other people, I really liked the ranching segment, and the ending was a very bitter pill to swallow, but in the context of the game it felt right.

Just looking at the game's stories as a whole, how many of the people John meets have happy endings? Most undergo severe trauma at the lightest, and most end up dead. It's a harsh, depressing message, and a powerful one.

Now if you didn't like it, I understand. I originally hated GTA IV's story because of how depressing it was (I'm one of the few people who keeps a low kill count in Rockstar games), and the feeling that no matter what you do, you'll continually be dragged deeper into violence and suffering until it crushes was pretty jarring.

Different tastes, I suppose.

requisitename

Dec 29, 2011
The worst ending I've ever seen on a movie was Mulholland Drive. Because, what? No, I mean it. What the fuck WAS that? I know that all of David Lynch's stuff is strange and/or surreal, but still. I saw that shortly after it came out and I can honestly say that I have absolutely no idea what happened at the end. None.

As for books.. boy, I'm about to get crucified. I've read the Twilight series and, for what they were, I enjoyed them.In my defense, I read them in a psychiatric hospital, while heavily sedated and otherwise medicated. At that point in time, they were about my speed. When I got to the end, even in my drug addled state, I was.. flabbergasted. I barely made it through Breaking Dawn anyway because it was excruciatingly stupid all the way through to me. At the end of it, though, I really wanted to send hate mail to Stephanie Meyer for wasting my time.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Matthew94 said:
No country for old men

Was a decent action/thriller movie until the very end when it wraps up the plot in about 3 minutes then puts in some philosophical bullshit in order to justify it.
I think you missed the point. I suppose I should put this in spoiler tags.

The ending was supposed to be blunt and unhappy. The supposed "good protagonist" died for greed and stubbornness, and it ended in the possible death of his wife and family.

Tommy Lee Jone's character expresses that whoever the bad guy was had destroyed his view of a good and clean world. So he retired. Because he was afraid of death.

It was a very human and realistic ending.

twohundredpercent

Dec 20, 2011
JoesshittyOs said:
The ending was supposed to be blunt and unhappy. The supposed "good protagonist" died for greed and stubbornness, and it ended in the possible death of his wife and family.

Tommy Lee Jone's character expresses that whoever the bad guy was had destroyed his view of a good and clean world. So he retired. Because he was afraid of death.

It was a very human and realistic ending.
So instead of giving a satisfying ending to a good movie, they gave a shit ending to a good movie. Wow! That completely shattered my expectations! Genius!

217not237

Nov 9, 2011
Movie: Hmm... Metal Gear Solid 4! (bu-dum-tish)No, but seriously, MGS4's ending was all I liked about that game. Can't think of any bad movie endings off the top of my head.

Game: Metal Gear Solid 2, Heavy Rain, and 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. MGS2 decided not to resolve anything, and started up the massively "deep" (see: confusing) story of MGS4, that, after figuring out, I realised was rubbish, deus ex machina, and soliloques. Heavy Rain, since it was focused so much on making a shocking twist that it would just say "This happened while you controlled the character, but he/she did it while the camera froze and didn't pick that part up." 999 had a "true" ending that was so full of twists that weren't really senseless, but plain weird. For example, one twist was "It was written in first-person THIS WHOLE TIME!?" Also, the final puzzle was sudoku, of all things.

Book: I can't help but feel that the final chapter of A Clockwork Orange went so against the tone of the rest of the book that I understand why America cut it out until there was enough demand for it.

Other: Every anime known to man. One had Tokyo destroyed because a girl accidentally let her dog get run over, one ended with a teenage girl turning into a giant butterfly goddess that created yellow tornadoes to destroy a wall, after which the main characters kissed, one ended with a flashback scene, and the last of nuisances of anime endings goes on.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Grey Walker said:
Vault101 said:
Liquidacid23 said:
Vault101 said:
Red Dead Redemption

snip
snip
snip
snip.
well actually...

I didnt dislike it as in I thourght the ending was bad or "what the fuck was that? that sucked" like I did the orginal to fallout 3 (which was also horribly depressing)

it was probably really "good" because it affected me, and overall was pretty powerful, I didn't walk away feeling good or anything but that wasnt the point

I would have been fine with it..say had Jack gone on to be a good man..perhaps written a book about his fathers story, that would have made it a little less brutal and "rounded" things off

but as I said, thats not the point, I cant dispute weather or not the ending "worked" because thats mainly subjective, all it really means is I would find it diffucult to replay and am remined of sadness everytiem I think of it

unlike other "sad" endings which I find easyer to swallow, SPOILERS (Requiem for a dream, Inglorious basterds Pnas labrynth) [spoiler/] Requiem for a dream I can accept because I knew it was going to turn out shit, Inglorious basterds I can accept because I get the feeling the charachters knew they werent getting out of that alive and had accepted it (more or less) Pans labrynth..ok that was fucking depressing but at least she got her paradise in the end which was more than any life in the "real" world could have given her [/spoiler]

Fallout 3 I wouldnt accpet, not only because it was depressing but because it was a cop-out

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Revenge of the Sith.

xSKULLY said:
the lord of the rings movie
I'm going to assume you're referring to the Fellowship and not the other two.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
The Blair Witch 2. Yes the entire movie was awful but the ending was just a rotten cherry on the sh*t sundae. Same with Exorcist 2.

Also the ending to Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM). Cliffhanger ending to a good series and it gets cancelled.

If we're talking about games though... WET.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
When She Woke was this novel with a futuristic Scarlet Letter thing going on, and it kept building up to an interesting finale, then it took a lame and safe and happy ending, all the way to the point where it made everything that happened to the main character worthless. If it had just been a happy ending, fine, whatever. lame, safe endings happen sometimes.
But to just make your entire book a waste of time, wasting the premise, the world, and all the hardships we've read all that time pointless...

Just fuck you, book.

Lightning Delight

Apr 21, 2011
Bioshock. Yes, you kill the roided-up Fontiane, and yes, you save all the Little Sisters, but come on. A short cutscene with Tenenbaum monologue-ing over it? That's all you get? And the monologue wasn't very good either. Of all the possible motivations she could have decided you were fighting for, she chose family? Not, you know, surviving or revenge or something?