Worst game sequel

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
This isn't a sequel but I think Robodemons for the NES deserves special mention. In regards to a sequel that I strongly dislike, it would have to be Starcraft 2. Its by no means a bad game but as a massive fan of Brood War, it was a terrible experience for me.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Brawl is mine but that's because I loved Melee. Still though, it's pretty shit. Dumbed down to the point where everyone just looks clumsy.

Starcraft 2 with all it's mediocrity and banality after all that fucking hype. Killed both the story and the atmosphere, game play is alright but meh.

Metroid Fusion. It's a good game, sure, but adding in a crappy story is what led the Metroid series to it's down fall. Lets face it, Miyamoto isn't a very good story writer.

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
Nazulu said:
Metroid Fusion. It's a good game, sure, but adding in a crappy story is what led the Metroid series to it's down fall. Lets face it, Miyamoto isn't a very good story writer.
Please elaborate for me.
I haven't played the game in a year or two, but I liked that Fusion told some of Samus' past.

Golem_the_Golem

Mar 20, 2011
Force Unleashed 2 mad me sad. I thought it would be longer then the first and why did it need that scene with yoda but it wasnt a terribly bad game because I still love the fry and toss to enemies but things seemed very repetitive and again saddening short.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Deus Ex 2? It was... trying so hard to be "awesome" and "with it".
I think Mercenaries 2 was more subtle and that game was about dropping, attaching and rolling explosives.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
I've never played any of the other Elder Scrolls games, but I really didn't enjoy Oblivion. My experience with it was dreary and monotonous, and the characters had such an uncanny valley vibe that I couldn't even begin to care about the story.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
I'm glad that only one person mention Dragon Age 2, because Dragon Age 2 was a fantastic sequel and game. Maybe this means that the unreasonable hate for DA2 is dying down.

As for worst game sequel, it has been said, but still, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2, oh and the DLC makes it worse, just to let people know. The only good thing to come from it is the ability to punt Ewoks like footballs.

Axelhander

Feb 3, 2011
Almost forgot: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, a game that doesn't deserve even a small fraction of its praise.

Oilerfan92

Mar 5, 2010
This thread gets my Far Cry 2 stamp.

Seriously. I'm still in shock over how poor that game was. Great graphics. But NO fun. Gamplay wasn't even vanilla, its like if there was a water flavored ice cream.

Also. Fable 3. I didn't play the first two. But DAMN. It was so far from a great game.

Somebody please tell me the first two were better.

ZahariasX

Jun 25, 2008
Perfect Dark Zero. Simple as that. Not the worst game ever made but it doesn't compare to it's predecessor in the extreme. Perfect Dark (N64) was an amazing game, hopefully no one really wants to disagree with me there. When I got my 360 and got Perfect Dark Zero I was actually near ashamed to have it among my game collection. The change of mechanics ruined the game for me. It played nothing like the original and therefore became a terrible sequel among it's older better kin.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I honestly thought that Halo: Reach was a complete disappointment, and absolutely horrendous as a sequel.

ToAsTy McBuTTeR

May 27, 2009
any sequel to a final fantasy game specifically. by that i mean advent children, dirge of cerberus, crisis core, and X-2 (although i liked how hilarious was for Tidus to come back at the end of the GOOD ending and notice his little summoner GF was now more bad ass than he was).

i also hate the Tactics remake. sure the gameplay is as solid as ever but did anyone actually enjoy the cameos they so shamefully inserted? i for one did not.

Devil May Cry 4. i guess i am the only person who thought this was the most righteous piece of shit ever... in fairness i didn't play 2 as i was warned away from it. but seriously? nero is a raging ****. he is boring, has enough angst to drown a starship, and is just plain fucking STUPID.

Fable 2. the story is SHIT... if you think otherwise, ask yourself how many times you have a fair chance, during the plot, to outright KILL the asshole who is going to kill hundreds of thousands of people, and you DON'T kill him just because your annoying blind aunt (sorry spoilers and not truly "FACTUAL" but hell i don't care) wants to control the spire for what exactly? the ability to see the future? doesn't she do that already? and hell i am so glad that she told my sister to waste what could have been a week's worth of food so that she could get shot in the face... which theresa KNEW was going to happen! what a *****.

TL;DR version
FF sequels
DMC4
Fable 2

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Louzerman102 said:
Nazulu said:
Please elaborate for me.
I haven't played the game in a year or two, but I liked that Fusion told some of Samus' past.
I never liked the sad story about Samus, I always found it so lame.

I get some people like the story and want Samus to have her own personality and stuff, but I never did. I reckon Miyamoto should have just focused on explaining bits n' pieces through game play and triggered actions. That's what made Super Metroid and Metroid Prime so great.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
The only sequel for me that could fall into this category is Mega Man X7. Some franchises just can't survive the transition into 3D.

Liberaliter said:
Dragon Age II springs to mind, I haven't played either but apparently people won't stop going on about it.

In all seriousness Alundra 2 was awful compared to the first.
Dragon Age 2 is a bit of a disappointment, but some of the people foaming at the mouth about the game are just ridiculous.

The only complaints I really have about Dragon Age 2 is the lack of imagination with level design, and some pretty screwed up glitches. It isn't horrible, but it could have been a lot better had it not been rushed.