Worst Games of the year

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
MW3, dear lord I didn't think I could hate a game as much as MW2 but they proved me wrong. That said that's my opinion for game I hated the most, the worst game of the year in terms of pure dissapointment was DS3. I adore DS2 it's fun. DS3 is not fun. DS3 is bloody short, bad story, naff characters and limited in scope. The only thing that was good about that game was the graphics, that's it.

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
I suppose the title of the thread should really be "Worst game of the year - that you have played".

I havent really played a lot of titles this year that have been exceedingly poor. Maybe I've been lucky, maybe I've just been careful or maybe I just havent tried a whole lot of new games.

But Homefront is a 2011 title, right? If so, I suppose that game wins the category. Not a good game, singleplayer or multiplayer.

And MW3 deserves a mention for "least creative game compared to its predecessors"-of the year. Yes, I know its not unique to bash MW3 but maybe it isnt unique for a genuine reason.

Unlike many however, I really enjoyed Dragon Age 2. I wont even stretch to saying it was a poor game. I'd settle with saying that it had excellent narration and a unique story concept(which really didnt fit well for many, as it deviated far from Origins hyper-hyper-hyper cliche that was oh so popular), but of course it had flaws, especielly for a Bioware game.

Shogun 2 should also be mentioned. I might deviate from many other Total War fans, and it should be added that the game had a lot of nice touches that would be awesome in other Total War games. But there's something about Shogun's starved content that to me makes it by far the worst total war game I've played. Maybe I just dont like the setting, but I can barely bother to finish one playthrough.

Battlefield 3 is also turning out to be a growing dissapointment. I like the game in total(except the singleplayer, but im not gonna go yahtzee and judge a multiplayer game by its singleplayer), but the game is gradually turning out to be a bug-riddled unbalanced mess that can even rival the Skyrim patches. Go go origin and battlelog.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Disappointed you put Deus Ex in one of your criteria. I really loved that game.

Saints Row The Third, while fun, was very disappointing. Practically everything they changed and every direction they went in the game was a bad decision.
Red Faction: Armageddon was pretty bad.
Brink was awful. I only have it because it was in a big pack of other games on Steam.
Homefront was terrible. I got it really cheap somewhere, can't remember why I chose to buy it even after knowing it was going to suck.
Duke Nukem Forever was disgustingly bad. It wasn't even the funny kind of bad, it was just annoying and exasperating.

*EDIT*
I have to mention BattleLog for Battlefield 3, too. It's not a game, but that fucking system almost ruined Battlefield for me. I couldn't stand it in the Alpha, I couldn't stand it in the Beta, and I couldn't stand it in the real game.

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
I was really excited for Rage but it was a let down.
SWTOR is fun a hell, I don't see why people are crapping on it so much, its a solid game with a lot of content, I think it will be great.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
1. Medal of Honor: Now this is the true generic FPS war shooter everyone complains about CoD being. But the kicker is, its actually true. MoH was horribad. Ok ok, I know it wasn't released this year, but I got it this year and I wanted to ***** about it, and I couldn't think of any bad games released this year that I actually bought and played....

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Thyunda said:
My vote is torn between Brink and Duke Nukem Forever. Brink was a nice idea, and I think it would have worked out well if they'd have separated the single and multiplayer experiences. I got bored of the 'story' because it was just a sequence of multiplayer games, and I got bored of the multiplayer because it was just choosing levels of the stories, so I'd seen it all by the time I finished the Security campaign. I know how the Resistance one ended, because my brother always choose
Oh, Brink! Bethesda...

Other than that, I don't really know. I tend to be very spot on with the games I think I'll enjoy. Fact is, I only played Brink because my friend brought it round.

vidirg

Sep 23, 2009
I'm really surprised that only few said duke nukem, while alot of them said Dragon Age 2.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Why the hate for Deus Ex from these guys? It was a damn good game, minus the boss battles.

Also, I've heard almost nothing but praise for The Old Republic so I don't see why they gave it the "Saw off your own dick award"

OT: Duke Nukem Forever, it was just so bleh, nothing really stuck out as great.

joedix88

Apr 28, 2010
Brink,
Naughty Bear (I know it was out last year but I really think it's that bad)
Dragon Age 2
Duke Nukem Forever
(Any 3DS launch title)
Dead Island
Dungeon Siege 3
Thor
TRON: Evolution

Sorry for the mass post, played a lot of games this year. ;)

hallow eyes

Nov 19, 2009
Arina Love said:
homefront. i was promised epic story but they delivered 3 hours of absolute sh*t.
Thank you. there were plenty of games this year that where disappointing(dragon age 2, saints row the third ect...) there where a few games I just hated on principle (Duke Nukem forever). No game was as horrible as homefront, tons of single player hype for something you could knock out before dinner and online play ripped from battlefield and Cod inferior to both.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
For me... It feels like I hate dragons. So I will first say Dragon Age 2 to which the consensus will agree and then I will say Skyrim and the consensus will promptly gather the torches and pitchforks.

But really truly, the most regretted purchase I made this year was From Dust. Not only did I not know it was from Ubisoft (which had I known I would have never given it a second look) it also was the most tedious copy pastad game I have had the displeasure to play.

Iblan

Dec 11, 2011
Hi guys, I'm the friend that helped make the list, and I'm glad this is generating all kinds of buzz. I wanted to make some clarifications, because it seems a little confusion has come up. First, to all those wondering why The Old Republic made the list, it's not because there's a beta or because it is due out this year, it is because the award it was given (if you read the description) is for next year's biggest predicted fail. This includes the end of this year because, as is the case with The Old Republic, some games we were unable to put on our list due to release dates.

Secondly, many are mentioning that this list is only games that we've played. While this is mostly true (we tried to stay away from games that we had no experience playing), there are a few games on the list that were added because of anecdotal evidence, or because we just know better. Keep in mind I am exclusively a PC gamer and my friend almost exclusively plays the 360, so while we cover the bases pretty well, there are certainly a number of games that we were unable to play (obviously Nintendo games are largely missing from our list) and therefore did not want to try and rate.

I have to give a special shoutout to the following comment, because I actually tried to get Battlelog on the award list for "Shit", but my friend vetoed me. It takes me 15 minutes to get in game, and whoever thought up the browser based launch system needs to be executed. I kid you not, I've had the singleplayer game launch when I was trying to get in a game with friends. Coincidentally that happens to be the only time that the single player has ever been launched...
ultimateownage said:
I have to mention BattleLog for Battlefield 3, too. It's not a game, but that fucking system almost ruined Battlefield for me. I couldn't stand it in the Alpha, I couldn't stand it in the Beta, and I couldn't stand it in the real game.
Props to you for putting up with it for so long. I dealt with it for 17 days, at which point Skyrim launched and all other games ceased to matter.

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
Bastion.
Generic soundtrack, annoying narration, and an unimpressive storyline.
I kid.
I hope Bastion wins game of the year, actually.
Probably the worst game I've played this year...
Uh, hell. I don't really know.
I guess Modern Warfare 3, but those aren't necessarily bad games.

Rolling Zeppelin

May 5, 2011
Honestly, if Deus Ex made anyone's list, it's because they didn't play for more than an hour or two. That game starts so-so and becomes OHMYGODORGASMINMYBRAIN once you've gotten some augments.

I'm just glad there hasn't been any hate for skyward sword, that game really is better than its console would suggest.

Iblan

Dec 11, 2011
Rolling Zeppelin said:
Honestly, if Deus Ex made anyone's list, it's because they didn't play for more than an hour or two. That game starts so-so and becomes OHMYGODORGASMINMYBRAIN once you've gotten some augments.
I'm actually one of those haters. According to Steam, I have 12 hours of play time, and I didn't really enjoy any of it. I feel it suffers from Bioware's perennial problem: the environments are stiff and claustrophobic. It is "Open World" without actually being open world. I hate that kind of feel. I am also not a big fan of the third person action game, unless it begins with "Assassins Creed" and ends with "I just stabbed you and blew your head off with a gun on my wrist that's how fucking badass I am." You might ask yourself if it's fair for me to add a game from a genre that I don't really care for, but life isn't fair, and there's a reason I don't like the genre!

Iblan

Dec 11, 2011
Quick thought on Bastion: The guy who does the narration must get laid on the merits of his voice alone.

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
Well the only games I have personally played have all been games that loved and wanted. I only buy games I really want and know are going to be good. For every other game, I see how well it is received and if it's not well received then I won't buy it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I never buy games that I'm not absolutely sure I'll love. Thus, the worst game I played was Terraria. It's pretty good, it's a bit confusing at first and I have precision issues, but it's still a pretty good game. Worst game of the year.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Aprilgold said:
JoesshittyOs said:
I'm honestly scrolling down waiting to find someone claim one of those games are terrible, but no one has really claimed any of those yet.
I did.
Good to know.

And yeah, you're right. You can't have a wrong opinion.

But nowhere does it say you can't have an extremely stupid one. If you legitimately thought those were the worst games made in 2011 you either a) Played a total of about 3 games this year, or b) Doing it because you think it sounds like a shocking internet hipster answer.

I'm assuming it's B. You aren't special for saying the games are terrible. And we know you're full of it if you legitimately thought the games were the worst made in 2011.