Worst Gaming-related Decision you've ever made?

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
I worked at a Gamestop, back in the Xbox v PS2 v Gamecube days.

Our manager one day comes back from one of their monthly meetings and he is just full of news about this game called Black. He's got a video, he wants to show us, he is way way excited about this and just needs us to see this.

What he shows us looks like this fucking amazing game. It's a little rough but that's cool, it's not quite through development yet, but holy shit look at that.

We are watching a short demo of what appears to be a legitimate blockbuster console FPS. Not only does this game look beautiful - and I mean beautiful, the best looking graphics i had seen for the Xbox - and the demo itself is heavily showcasing this incredible idea: ricochet physics in a highly destructible game world.

The demo even slowed down to make sure we'd catch it - this was a major selling point, you open fire and all hell breaks loose. Missed shots would strike cars or bits of scenery which would break apart and set off massive chain reactions - so you could solve problems by either shooting people or just blowing up the entire world around them and let them fall away. So, yeah, a choice of violence or flashier violence, but the violence looked incredibly fun.

It really just looked like a really amazingly fun game to play.

We were told to sell as many pre-orders of Black as we could manage and I threw myself into this. This game looked incredible and I felt my employers were correct - this game is going to sell like schoolyard heroin, you want to get in on the ground floor.

And I even bought a pre-order copy myself.

Then the game came out and it was terrible.

Like really tremendously terrible. It had nothing but the graphics and the explosions in common with the demo I watched. The richochet physics had been completely ditched, any semblance of open-endedness was gone, leaving behind a literal straight line, A to B with invisible walls or impassible foot-high obstacles keeping you firmly bolted on the 'correct' and only path. The smart enemies that ran for cover I saw in the demos were gone, instead they just stood there and shot at me, rarely moving unless to run directly at me.

Even the graphics, while still fantastic, looked stained.

Every single point that had sold the game for me was just flat-out gone, and those were the exact points I'd used to sell that game, pre-order, to fifty-seven people.

Fifty. Seven. People. Purchased that game because of me.

They paid money up front for a game they knew nothing about, save that the guy who was right about 'Oddword: Stranger's Wrath' and 'Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem' was telling them to buy it.

The shame will never go away.

moose_man

Nov 9, 2009
Killing Serdic's sister in Rondo of Swords. I couldn't see another out, but it earned me the bad campaign.

MetricFurlong

Apr 8, 2010
captainaweshum said:
MetricFurlong said:
Pre-ordering Too Human. But just buying it, mark you, pre-ordering it. Don't think I'll ever live that one down.
liljabba said:
buying too human... that game was practically an insult to anyone with brain functions above that of a blade of grass. i played that "game" for about 15 minutes, and then cried myself to sleep
Did anyone other than me watch the previews for this game? They LOOKED like shit!
Apparrently not. Watching the previews has since become a mandatory habit for me now.

Sorbs

Mar 16, 2010
Too Human, Brutal Legend, That stupid Diablo ripoff that was on XBOX 360 that was absolutely terrible, starting my pokemon game again when i first had it with all 150 pokemon with my starter on 100 with no rare candy cheat, i started it again to give my friend charmander, bulbasaur and squirtle, forgetting that trading overwrote you're game :(

captainaweshum

May 1, 2010
MetricFurlong said:
captainaweshum said:
MetricFurlong said:
Pre-ordering Too Human. But just buying it, mark you, pre-ordering it. Don't think I'll ever live that one down.
liljabba said:
buying too human... that game was practically an insult to anyone with brain functions above that of a blade of grass. i played that "game" for about 15 minutes, and then cried myself to sleep
Did anyone other than me watch the previews for this game? They LOOKED like shit!
Apparrently not. Watching the previews has since become a mandatory habit for me now.
On that note...Red Dead Redemption's look suspiciously amazing...I'm afraid to buy it on release day due to the fact that I haven't heard one bad thing about the game so far...lol...it's TOO good to be true.

Pokenator

May 5, 2010
Fenra said:
Treating WoW for 2 years like a single player rpg, wasnt untill burning crusade came out that I did anything socialy in that game outside of random pvp
I did this for a long time when I first got the game, and then when I hit 70 and everyone wanted to be friends all of a sudden, I got way too sucked in and started blowing off rl friends for guild raids.

Pokenator

May 5, 2010
Erniesrubberduk said:
Pokemon Snap for the N64
I actually really enjoyed this game as a pokemon-crazed pre-teen, but most of the appeal comes from figuring out and capturing all those rare special shots like the pikachu riding the articuno etc... I actually found it and played it again a few weeks back just for lols and found it a surprisingly entertaining waste of time until I accidentally kicked the 64 and it froze on me unsaved.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
RootBrewski said:
I preordered Two Worlds. I don't think I've played more than 3 hours of it.
My brother bought that game, and after him playing it for about 2 hours he quit it was so bad, I never went near the game.

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
Buying into the hype of the Wii was bad enough, but the worst was when I bought Medal Of Honor: Vanguard for it. What a huuuuuuuuuge pile of shit, I expected that kind of game quality 10 years ago. Wait, I'm sorry, that's an insult to any game made 10 years ago.

infested

Sep 18, 2009
buying any spinoff racing game besides mario kart ie: krash bandicoot racers

starwars racer was fun but idk,

oh and paper mario 2
oh gotta throw getting spore's nearly 100$ collectors edition game, the game itself wasnt worth regular price imo

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Neotericity said:
jcb1337 said:
Playing ME2 insanity as an Adapt. They don't do that great on mechs. Especially mechs with cloaking and shotguns.
Really? What difficulty were you on? It seemed fine to me, I liked the Adept.
I said I was doing insanity. I found it to be ok till I got to Haestrom. Legion's mission was also impossible. I tried it with other classes, too. Sentinels, infilitrators and engineers couldn't even get past the first few missions. On my soldier I beat it, dying only about 3 times.