Worst reason you ever heard for not liking a band.

Panken

May 23, 2009
Ok, I love the Gorillaz. They are amazing. This is how a certian conversation went.

Girl: What is your favorite band?
Me: Gorillaz.
Girl: That is the cartoon band right?
Me: Well, their music videos are animated.
Girl: Ya they suck.
Me: Have you ever listened to them?
Girl: No, any band that is a cartoon cant be good.
Me: That does not make since. Damon Albourne (The guy behind Gorillaz) is the frontman and an excellent compalation musician.
Girl: Dont care, they are cartoons so they are bad.

Resistance205

Jun 3, 2008
I think the worst excuse I have heard is becasue they belong to a certain genre, a lot of people I know refuse to listen to some of the music I like, just because they are from a diffrent genre then rap, or hip-hop.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Hrm... I know I've heard people not like a band because of the logo... Oh it was TooL. She said it looked like a penis. I replied "ah yes, glad you pointed that out."

I have freinds who refuse to watch any TV show on the basis that they are cartoons (Missing the glory of Venture Bros is a crime against comedy)

Panken

May 23, 2009
ace_of_something said:
(Missing the glory of Venture Bros is a crime against comedy)
Punishable by death! That show is amazing. Season 3 is awesome and I cant wait for season 4.

On Topic: "That band is from Europe, so they suck."

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
What do you want me to say here? People have opinions, if she doesn't like them for that reason, she an idiot, let her live her idiot life. Can't say anyone ever said anything as dumb as that, as I said people have their opinions.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
An ex of mine used to like a band but then that band did a cover of a band she didn't like, so now she dislikes them also.

Worst excuse I can think of though is people disliking bands that sound like thier favorite band. As if the other bands are stealing thier favorite band's originality. Fact of the matter, almost nothing is ever completely original. Everyone's influenced by someone else.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Mr.Tea said:
ace_of_something said:
Hrm... I know I've heard people not like a band because of the logo... Oh it was Tool. She said it looked like a penis. I replied "ah yes, glad you pointed that out."
This one?

Yup that logo would be why she refused to listen to tool. Don't worry I broke up with her like a week later.

Mykonos

May 19, 2009
"Radiohead Sucks."

"What? Why do you say that?"

"Because they're nothing like Coldplay."

"Get out."

Symp4thy

Jan 7, 2009
I'm a big country fan, and the one I hear all the time is, "country is just guys singing about their truck and their dog dying." Of course I used to say I hated country too, until I actually listened to it.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
"because the yobs listen to it"

basically you know there are certain 'people' that play their music really loud on buses using their mobiles? she wont listen to any song she hears played in that way... i have yet to know exactly whyyy

Mykonos

May 19, 2009
Symp4thy said:
I'm a big country fan, and the one I hear all the time is, "country is just guys singing about their truck and their dog dying." Of course I used to say I hated country too, until I actually listened to it.
I listened to it. I still hate it. Just not my cup of tea.

Though, given that there are a few artists who are a side-step away from country that I find entertaining. I can't say Bob Dylan because he danced all over several genre's.

Eskay

Sep 2, 2007
I refuse to listen to U2, not because of their music, I quite like some of the songs (well 2), but goddamn Bono makes me want go on a killing spree. I heard he can't take his glasses off because the smuggness would spill out everywhere and ruin his private jet. And how can you save the worlds poor with a dirty private jet?

While I won't arbitrarily refuse to listen to something based on genre, I tend to avoid certain ones (deth metal, rap, and other miscreants). Its understandable to avoid, but if you're to opinionated to give it a chance, and so arrogant to out of hand reject someone else's opinion without at least trying.... well you're and idiot.

Symp4thy said:
I thought you were talking about the band 'Big Country', then I realised you weren't, and was a little sad.

egwidalin

May 8, 2009
I have always been a big fan of the metal genre, and im very much growing tired of people saying its just a bunch of yelling and screaming. They are angry people, duh, theyre supposed to yell and scream! Besides, it isnt even that bad, most of it is quite understandable if u actually take the time to listen to it :( I really need to find some new freinds that appreciate metal and not listen to the sissy crap that my current friends like like :p

SmartIdiot

Feb 10, 2009
Mykonos said:
"Radiohead Sucks."

"What? Why do you say that?"

"Because they're nothing like Coldplay."

"Get out."
Whoever said that should be burned as Radiohead are awesome and Coldplay < shit.

Worst reason.... "All your music is crazy!" from my supposed friends. Everyday.

dnnydllr

Apr 5, 2009
I heard someone say they don't like Steve Vai because he moves " up and down the neck to much." Those extra frets are there for a reason.................

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
No offense,
Panken said:
Ok, I love the Gorillaz. They are amazing. This is how a certian conversation went.

Girl: What is your favorite band?
Me: Gorillaz.
Girl: That is the cartoon band right?
Me: Well, their music videos are animated.
Girl: Ya they suck.
Me: Have you ever listened to them?
Girl: No, any band that is a cartoon cant be good.
Me: That does not make since. Damon Albourne (The guy behind Gorillaz) is the frontman and an excellent compalation musician.
Girl: Dont care, they are cartoons so they are bad.
No offense, but that conversation sounds a liiiiiiiiiiiittle stretched, but I'll let it go because it sounds fairly likely with how much people discriminate against cartoons.(*Goes to room and cries about lack of friends*)

I discriminate based on genre a LOT, I HATE rap and country music with a passion. But on occasion I hear a decent rap or country song, it's just super rare.

To finish, I agree, people have stupid reasons for the things they think and do. Once you lower your standards of an average human to around the nazi level you will be impressed with how nice and thoughtful they are.