Would you become veggie to help save the planet?

Micklet

May 21, 2009
Nope, due to the food mountain created by the EU and other such organisations where by the producers are paid to over produce animals and food stocks beyond the market demand just to keep them in a job it would in fact be a waste of food. The fact is the same amount of animals would be bred and killed and if we didnt eat them they would just go to waste. Now we have to ask ourselves is it worse to just kill the animal, or waste it as well.

Maybe if all the veggies ate meat then so much wouldnt go to waste???? Just a thought. I for one am doing my bit for the wasted animals cause.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
No. I do like my veg, but I wouldn't give up eating meat.

Also I'm being a bit picky here, but what kind of vegetarian do you mean? Because there are the veggies that don't eat meat at all, and there are veggies that eat no meat apart from fish and chicken, which always struck me as a bit odd.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
How is it better if we all went vegetarian? You know what happens then? Every animal that we eat starts to overpopulate, and the crops that we use to eat will be eaten by the now overpopulated masses of herbivores that we used to eat, thus diminishing our new supply of food.

And eventually we'll all be fucked.

I guess it goes without saying that, no, I wouldn't "go veggie" to "save" the planet. The planet doesn't need to be saved. Sure, we're being retarded with pollution and should stop, but it's not about to bring on the apocalypse.

Threesan

Mar 4, 2009
I tend to avoid beef after having seen this graph [http://www.rockislandmarket.com/images/eating_and_driving.jpg] (and of course having heard similar things before). It's not corrected for calories, but the meats are (as far as I can figure) roughly similar in calorie content, making beef fourteen times more expensive than chicken, and 3.5 times more expensive than pork. I haven't found substituting chicken to be all that much of a sacrifice.

There's also the argument from land use [http://media.photobucket.com/image/meat%20area%20land%20use/biopact3/ny_ag_impact.jpg].

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Screw it. If the world dies in a hundred years, and I still get to eat my steak, so be it.

Seriously, though, it they managed to convert all food to bar form I might consider it. Don't really have time to cook at home as it stands, and there are no alternatives around here that don't involve meat. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go microwave my dinner...

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
No, wrong. The Methane produced by a cow is more than a typical 4x4. That doesn't mean stop eating them, it means EAT MORE! It's either eat them or slaughter them and i'm pretty sure the same people who don't want us to eat them won't want us to slaughter the entire species because seriously, if you want to save the planet we have to wipe out a couple species.

My question is this, are these the same nutjobs who want to turn off road lighting, which would lead to more deaths/crashes etc but would save on our carbon footprint. This was a serious suggestion, i'll pull up a link when i find one.

Though i just understood what their trying to do, ecomentalists want us all dead. That way we can't be around polluting the atomsphere and there to boo boo their sexual intercourse with animals. This means war, we must buy bigger less ecological cars, have lights on during the day and of course continue not allowing them to sleep with animals...

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Fbuh said:
"The Earth's been here for over 4 billion years, and we think a little plastic is going to destroy it?"--George Carlin
If you're suggesting that plastic pollution is not a problem, then you're wrong. Plastic poisoning is proven to pose a threat to wildlife, and plastic pollution has become so extreme that in some areas there is a higher concentration of plastic than plankton. That means that fish are more likely to swallow a big gulp of plastic than food, which doesn't exactly bode well for the species that prey upon them. If more people were aware of the dangers of plastic pollution, we could easily lessen it's impact upon the environment.

On-Topic: I'm not going to stop eating meat because of the potential threat of global warming. Humans are supposed to eat meat, and at this point in my life I'm simply not willing to give that up. Though I am looking at alternative methods to reduce carbon emissions/conserve energy.
Oh certainly, it's harmful to the organisms living now, but how many of those species will be living in another thousand years? What about humans? Are we even going to make it another hundred at this point? The point is, plastic is harmful now, but the earth overcomes everything. Even now I can see it: a field of green, overgrowing with weeds and vines as small newer shoots poke through the twisted and weathered cracks of an old soda bottle. The earth doesn't care, and eventually all things are righted. Of course, this philosophy doesn not stop me form not littering and so forth. I like how clean the environment looks when there aren't plastic bags all over it. I'm just saying that while plastic may be a problem now, how much of a problem is it in a few hundred years? Watch this, you may enjoy it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScDfYzMEEw

It's the bit I quoted from George Carlin

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Fbuh said:
Internet Kraken said:
Fbuh said:
"The Earth's been here for over 4 billion years, and we think a little plastic is going to destroy it?"--George Carlin
If you're suggesting that plastic pollution is not a problem, then you're wrong. Plastic poisoning is proven to pose a threat to wildlife, and plastic pollution has become so extreme that in some areas there is a higher concentration of plastic than plankton. That means that fish are more likely to swallow a big gulp of plastic than food, which doesn't exactly bode well for the species that prey upon them. If more people were aware of the dangers of plastic pollution, we could easily lessen it's impact upon the environment.

On-Topic: I'm not going to stop eating meat because of the potential threat of global warming. Humans are supposed to eat meat, and at this point in my life I'm simply not willing to give that up. Though I am looking at alternative methods to reduce carbon emissions/conserve energy.
Oh certainly, it's harmful to the organisms living now, but how many of those species will be living in another thousand years? What about humans? Are we even going to make it another hundred at this point? The point is, plastic is harmful now, but the earth overcomes everything. Even now I can see it: a field of green, overgrowing with weeds and vines as small newer shoots poke through the twisted and weathered cracks of an old soda bottle. The earth doesn't care, and eventually all things are righted. Of course, this philosophy doesn not stop me form not littering and so forth. I like how clean the environment looks when there aren't plastic bags all over it. I'm just saying that while plastic may be a problem now, how much of a problem is it in a few hundred years? Watch this, you may enjoy it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScDfYzMEEw

It's the bit I quoted from George Carlin
Just because something isn't going to destroy the planet doesn't mean we shouldn't care about it. Even a full scale nuclear war wouldn't kill all life on Earth. We should care about it because it poses a direct threat to us.

Sparkimus Prime

Oct 7, 2009
Nutrients that occur only in animal foods:
* Vitamin B12
* Bio-active Vitamin A
* Vitamin D
* Vitamin K2 MK4
* Bio-active Omega-3

Minerals can be difficult to get from plant foods due to anti-nutrient factors. Despite the BS health authorities try to shove down our throats, saturated animal fats are superior to unsaturated plant fats. Saturated fat is less prone to oxidation and helps fight infections (oxidation and infection are two of the real causes of heart disease). The body doesn't retain Omega-3 fat without saturated fat, etc etc etc. I could go on for hours about this, but I'll stop at scratching the surface.

Does anyone out there have any data on whether grass-fed cows make as much methane and cows fed an unnatural diet of grain?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I think if everyone *else* wants to become vegan, that would be a fantastic idea. As soon as we cave to the vegan loonies, the plants rights activism movements would start gaining traction.

PureChaos said:
search bar approved!
No more disclaimers! please!

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
well veggies are pretty ta... wait what am i talking they're horrible give me meat.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Just because something isn't going to destroy the planet doesn't mean we shouldn't care about it. Even a full scale nuclear war wouldn't kill all life on Earth. We should care about it because it poses a direct threat to us.
And what are we? For what reason do we need to care. Like I said, it isn't likely that we will still be around in a few thousand years, so why should we care? What are we to something as vast and powerful as the universe? On a side note, I have my own views about this, most of which you will never accurately see in this discussion. I am more curious as to what you feel.

Mentalist

Sep 15, 2009
Methane is a problem, but you forgot to mention the absolutely titanic amount of water and soil expended to grow crops to raise the cows. And eating the vegetables would be a much more efficient way to feed the planet than feeding it to cows and eating the meat. There is also the problem of pollution from the waste and runoff that comes from farms. Desertification and drought are big problems in Australia (and we farm heaps of cows). Then you have to factor in the carbon being released from transport of said cows to the cities.

RedFox042

May 25, 2009
obvious solution: attach spark emitters to cow butts triggered when they fartso the methane is harmlessly burned off.

Problem Solved!