Would you become veggie to help save the planet?

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
PureChaos said:
search bar approved!

It is believed that due to the harm livestock has on the environment due to methane that if we all turned veggie, there would be less demand for meat, therefore less livestock which would reduce methane and would help save the planet from 'climate change'. so, would you become a veggie in order to help save the planet? of course, on the flip side, this would put a lot of butchers out of business, delivery drivers would be out of a job and cattle farms would shut down. all of these would increase unemployment, but then less lorries would mean less petrol and less fumes.
so what do you think about this? are you now going to become veggie or is it all a load of crap?

(source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/food_matters/meatethics.shtml)
How about this? Instead of cutting off demand, hike up demand so that supply is completely annihilated?

We make livestock extinct, by eating all of them...

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
I hate how people always equate making Earth more hospitable towards us human beings and saving the entire planet. Even if we die, the planet will still be here. Even if all life on it dies, the planet will still be here. We don't have the power to save the planet, mainly because it isn't threatened, but also because if there was something that did threaten it, we wouldn't have the means to stop it, like another planet colliding with this one.

On the topic of saving humans, on the other hand, I would not turn vegetarian. I like meat. A lot. And as I wrote in another thread exactly like this one. I sometimes eat entire meals consisting of nothing but meat.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
I only eat meat/fish 3 to 4 meals per week, so I'm pretty sure I could go full veggie if needed, but I really don't want to! Specially since I can't live without shrimps, surimi and eggs, at the very least :D!

Autumnflame

Sep 18, 2008
im more of the opinion of. if we kill all the plants to eat them whats going to be left to act as a carbon sink?

as well as if the icecaps melt the oceans will grow the oceans are a giant carbon sink. they will adsorb it. the temps will go down and the caps will reform. it has happened meore and will again. cant fight nature

Over_Krill

Nov 16, 2009
arc101 said:
Fbuh said:
In fact, the earth has been cooling over the past number of years, so I wouldn't worry about it.
No it hasn't, we have had an average, worldwide change of about 1.3degrees Celsius...increase. However, you are right.Climate change is inevitable through out our history. Also, Britain is one of 3 countries that shall get colder due to global warming, so I hope it's bollocks
First it has not been warming since 2001 second were are you geting your information from there has only been average worldwide change of about 00.7 degrees Celsius increase in the last 100 years and only 00.4 that would have come from humans.

To answer the question would i go veggie to help save the planet save the planet form a substance that has a net lifetime of 8.4 years in the atmosphere (methane) or the other the other that only makes up 0.038% of the atmosphere(the plant food that we call CO2) no i would not i like my meat.

TransMando

Jul 15, 2009
Only if it was absolutely necessary.

I do eat vegetarian for portions of the year, but it is for detox purposes.

accountant

Apr 15, 2009
It would also boost the vegetable production industry and it would allow local animals (like kangaroos!) to thrive in their habitat without introduced livestock.
I already am a veggie

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I used to be a vegitarian... but then I realized that I was going about things all wrong. I never thought it was bad to eat animals... thats natural selection and what happens to all species... I only took issue with the fact that animals fed that way and killed in slaughterhouses and part of a food industry is not good for you.

And I think that the vegetarian thing is just a boycott of meat. But that won't solve the problem of those who dont want to give up meat but also want to change things. We all know from the recent boycotts of games that it doesn't really change anything about what you want to. Vegetarianism and Veganism is just a way for people to go indie in another part of their life. But when I was veg, I thought... this is uncreative.

We're humans- we got where we are by our ingenuity and ability to adapt to things and change them how we want them. Giving up and boycotting is not the way around.

PETA says that if slaughterhouses were made of glass, we'd all be veg- and thats bullshit. We would all change the way that we handled, killed, raised and treated the food that we eat. Simply giving up and being picky is what a child does.
Eating dead animals is a part of our culture and our diet- its how we made ourselves as a species- get over it.

The problem is no the food- it is how the food is grown/raised and how it is treated. Thats what causes things like Mad Cow and other diseases.
Too many vegetarians I knew didnt want to actually change things in the industry, and instead wanted to make themselves feel better and indie by stopping to eat meat.

When we say save the planet, we mean our species. The planet will always be here and will always come back no matter how long it takes. Its just a matter of us wanting to be around for it to be pretty.
We should focus on things that we can change- like the food industrial complex that WE build... we can change it around too.
Veg won't solve anything. and most of all... it won't be nearly as tasty.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm eating a pulled pork sandwich as I type this..well okay it's off to my right waiting for me to finish. Meat is delicious, if someone wants to stop eating meat they can go right ahead, more for me.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
I'm reducing methane emissions by eating the fucking cows.

So to answer your question: [HEADING=1]NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[/HEADING]

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
arc101 said:
FolkLikePanda said:
then again I don't beleive in global warming.
I am so very tempted to send you about 90 page of scientific papers to you that pretty much prove it

OT: I am veggie and I think its just fine
Wouldn't much help with the news released showing that certain groups of scientists fudged their data and prevented other scientists from researching their work.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Corjha said:
Sure. I wouldn't mind quitting meat
What the hell are you?

In short: No.
In long: NooooooooooooooOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOOoooooOOOoOoOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOooooooooo.
In even longer *inhales dramatically*: Okay, you get the point.

Spirit_Of_Fire

Feb 28, 2009
I consider myself to be pretty enviro friendly i do everything i can to reduce my "carbon footprint", but i couldnt see myself in a position where i would give up meat for the plane. I love meat and cant think what i would ever do without it.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
how bout we just do what they did in condemned so people start killing each other so I don't have to give up my favorite part of life...

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
You still need trucks to transport vegetables. And how do you think veggies are grown? They aren't some magical source of food that's 100% emission free. The change, if any, is not worth it to me. Here's a better idea for most of you climate conscious people out there: don't use a car unless it's necessary. And no, driving the 10 minute haul to work every day does not qualify as necessary. Is that ever going to happen? Nope.

And don't give me bullshit about how cow crap pollutes more then all the billions of cars out there. Pun intended.