Would you date a former cheater?

Oct 2, 2012
Yes I would. People do stupid shit and make mistakes. Shunning them forever won't help them.
But if they cheat on me they get no consideration for an extra chance and they're gone from my life for good.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
If our chemistry were good enough, yeah. I don't consider any mistakes she's made in the past to be my business. If she's the one who told me that she'd done so, I'd also probably be impressed at her honesty rather than disgusted.

Of course, if I already knew that this girl repeatedly cheated, I'd be kind of amazed if I had good enough chemistry to be interested in her in the first place.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Eh... I've been cheated on in almost every major relationship that I've been a part of, so my track record speaks for itself already.

If it weren't a 'serious' relationship, then yeah, I don't see why not. But if I'm getting into something with a person that I know has a penchant for sleeping around, then I'm probably not going to expect anything long-term to come out of it. If it's something they only did once and they regret it, there's no issue. If it's something they've done to every guy they've been with... that's a different can of worms.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Rose and Thorn said:
disgruntledgamer said:
Rose and Thorn said:
Only to cheat on them! Harhahahaharhaha....uhhhhh.

Payback.
Just so you know I'm totally there to help you do that.
Odds are I am probably not your type, but I'll add ya to the list! ;)
Hurray I finally made a joke that didn't fly over everyone's head!

Oh and you'd be surprised pretty lady. ;)

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
Moonlight Butterfly said:
No, but then people don't exactly tell everyone that sort of thing.

I wouldn't knowingly go out with a cheater mostly because my dad gave my mum anorexia by cheating on her and she nearly died.
You can't give someone anorexia, it isn't like a cold. On a related note, absolutely not, those people are scum.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
astrav1 said:

I wouldn't knowingly go out with a cheater mostly because my dad gave my mum anorexia by cheating on her and she nearly died.
You can't give someone anorexia, it isn't like a cold. On a related note, absolutely not, those people are scum.
Yeah real sensitive dude... I didn't mean it like that. She was so depressed and down on herself she developed anorexia... jeez.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Well, I did, and it did not work out well for me. And I almost unknowingly started dating another one recently, but thankfully I managed to see through her words, and noticed who she really was before it got serious. They rarely truly change, so...

theriddlen top tip - AVOID

EDIT:
On a unrelated note, 1000 posts hurray! :D

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
I dated someone who had a history of cheating, because I believe anyone can change habits like that if they want to. That was not my experience though.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Probably not. I would not be able to trust them enough I think. If it was a fling or just something for fun, then okay. And maybe they'd be able to build enough trust during that time that I'd be able to do it, but as it stands I don't think I could. Every time I couldn't get a hold of her, or every time she'd change plans or whatever, even if they are perfectly honest reasons, that little voice in the back of my head would go, "What if she's...?" and it would end up driving a wedge between us.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
astrav1 said:

You can create an environment which promotes it or drives someone to it which is what I think she meant.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Yeah, I would. But I'm not really the jealous sort. I wouldn't really be that bothered if someone I was dating cheated on me. I'd honestly rather be with someone who considers themselves to be their own person, than someone who obsesses over being in a relationship. I like people who are really independent, and my assumption would be that if someone I was dating cheated on me, it's because there's something I couldn't give them. That's fine, and if I liked them enough I'd rather they get what they need to be happy than devote themselves solely to me.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
No, I wouldn't date a cheater. To me one of the most important aspects of a relationship is trust, if you can't trust someone then to me it isn't a real relationship. I guess my distaste primarily stems from the fact that my first relationship ended by me finding out that she had cheated on me.
I've honestly never understood the mentality of cheaters. One of my roommate's girlfriend came back from her spring break and our other roommate heard through a mutual friend that she had hooked up with another guy during her trip. She hadn't planned on telling her boyfriend and when confronted she was like omg I was having a fun time and I was horny don't you guys understand? And I was like....no, if you're horny just go to your motel room and flick your bean, clean up when you're done and move on.
I even had one of my best friends nonchalantly tell me that she was seeing multiple (3+) guys at one time. And I was like wtf why? She said that until she decided to settle down with one she was going to keep on seeing all of them.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Yes. If you can't forgive people for their mistakes and allow them to change, you aren't a very nice person. Besides which, I'm not one of those people who puts cheating up there with murder. If someone cheated on me, I might be a bit hurt, but I'd get over it.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
No, probably not.
I think trust is pretty important and once you know they'd be willing to cross that line then it's not really gonna happen.

Not that I wish bad things on former cheaters, if they can turn it around then they'll make someone very happy.
It just wont be me.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
game-lover said:
Or a former Other woman/man? Or someone who formerly betrayed their BFF by stealing their significant other or whatever? (More accurately, would you be willing to be their friend or best friend even?)
Sure.

I've dated former cheaters.

I've been the person someone cheated on their sig other with.

And (long ago) I cheated on someone myself.

**shrug**

Cheating typically isn't a habit, it's a symptom of a bad relationship. Not that there aren't habitual cheaters - there are - but that isn't most of them.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
If someone was honest about what they'd done in the past then I'd give them a chance.

This:
Bara_no_Hime said:
Cheating typically isn't a habit, it's a symptom of a bad relationship. Not that there aren't habitual cheaters - there are - but that isn't most of them.