Would you purposely name your child with something exotic or from a video game etc?

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Mortai Gravesend said:
Jedoro said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Jedoro said:
I do plan on naming my son "Jayne," if that counts.
And he'll grow up to be the man they call Jayne =D
Exactly.

"Honey, why the hell did you name our son 'Jayne?'"

"Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of his awesome!"
That was definitely one of my favorite episodes of Firefly XD
Hell yes. I'm not sure if you can tell, but Jayne might be my favorite character from that show.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Mortai Gravesend said:
Jedoro said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Jedoro said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Jedoro said:
I do plan on naming my son "Jayne," if that counts.
And he'll grow up to be the man they call Jayne =D
Exactly.

"Honey, why the hell did you name our son 'Jayne?'"

"Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of his awesome!"
That was definitely one of my favorite episodes of Firefly XD
Hell yes. I'm not sure if you can tell, but Jayne might be my favorite character from that show.
Well, no, there wasn't enough for me to have a reasonable certainty he's your favorite, but I can understand the feeling XD
Of course, I have considered naming my son "Malcolm Jayne," but I think that might make the world explode.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
No. I couldn't even bring myself to name my pets after something from a video game, movie, etc. That's just a little too outwardly nerdy for me v:

NightmareWarden

Jul 2, 2011
I can't think of any video game characters off the top of my head which I'd consider naming a child, but I'm sure that there are several names used in a few different anime series which I'd definitely consider.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
I'm not sure I would name my kid something from a video game, but there are plenty of socially acceptable video-game names.

Though, given the chance I would name my kid something like Trajan, Hadrian, or Vulcan.

Heaven's Guardian

Oct 22, 2011
No. I've had my last name misspelled often enough that I know exactly how annoying it is for someone to have a confusing name (at least for written purposes). There are a few names I'd really like (Serah from FFXIII has a great name, IMO), but I would never name a kid something that would make someone ask how to spell it.

Final First

Feb 13, 2012
I wouldn't name my child(ren) the name of any video game character unless it happened to be a coincidence. If I had a son I would either be a complete bastard and name them after myself or name them after someone great in the past, such as a general or philosopher; so long as the name wasn't weird enough to cause mockery.

Off Topic: I once heard of a girl named La-sha. It is suppose to be pronounced Ladasha. The mother who named her apparently gets upset when teachers and others fail to spell her name as intended, which is La-sha. I'll be laughing when I hear the story of a foreigner pronouncing the dash as it is called in their language. La-halbgeviertstrich-a?. Correct me if I'm wrong with that name, I just Googled the German name real quick.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'm unsure...if I were to name my son something like Gordon (as an example) it would probably be after Gordon Freeman, but I don't see me naming my possible future child something like "Cloud" or "Pyramid Head".

So, normal names in video games, yes, but weird or exotic names, probably not.

DrgoFx

Aug 30, 2011
My first daughter's middle name will be Octavia. My mother always wanted to name her own daughter Octavia, but she got me instead. Tavi is nice nickname too. Hell, my middle name is quite Exotic, Rand. Not Randolf, not Randy, Rand.

The Task Master

Apr 10, 2012
My first born son shall be named Kenshi Dracula VonFrankenstein. Least two of those would come from games haha. That or Maxi because I like fighting games.

Elidibus

Apr 15, 2011
My wife and I actually talked about naming our daughter Claes after one of the girls from the anime Gunslinger Girl. Does that count? I even researched the name. I think it means strength in Greek or something. We later decided to do something more traditional after a 100% blank stare ratio when talking about it.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Something always made me want to name a possible daughter Rosalia... (From Trauma Team) It just sounds so pretty~

The Mighty Stove

Apr 16, 2012
If one day I do have a kid, and he's a boy. Issac... From Dead Space......it is a fairly common name I know. But-ttttt If I hadn't play'd the series though, I wouldn't have even considered it.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
If I had a daughter, I'd name her after characters out of Greek mythology, like Calliope or Cassandra. I know Cassandra is a semi-common name, but I would name my kid with the Iliad in mind on this one. I dig Persephone too, but I can't think of a good way to shorten that. I run into the same issue with boy's names- I'm not about to name my future son Agamemnon

Psychoninja7

Nov 11, 2010
For Persephone, you could shorten it to Percy. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if the child hated you for that.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Yus... I already have it planned... if I have a daughter she will be called Lain or Alice... which ever one I don't pick will be the middle name... for obvious reasons... and if anyone asks I'll just tell them that she's named after Layne Staley from Alice in Chains...<.<

And if I get a son... he will be called either Jake or Finn...<.<

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Maybe not a child
A pet? Sure.
Could call my dog Dovakhin, would be pretty cool yelling to him from across the park