Would you purposely name your child with something exotic or from a video game etc?

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
No, I wouldn't.

Call me old fashioned, but I like to keep my hobbies seperate from naming my offspring.
Little cultural fact: The name July originated in Peter Pan.

OT: I've considered what I might go for. If I wanted to give my unborn child a really unique name, I might go for Eddard (after Eddard Stark) because it does sound like a fairly decent name.

Equally, I've considered Miles, or Dean, though.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Terminate421 said:
mysecondlife said:
Terminate421 said:
I'll give the next 15 posts to guess where my first son will be named from, winner gets a cookie.

His name will be Grif.

On an unrelated note: I'm also thinking of naming other sons Isaac, Carmine, or Doug.
KOTOR. Mission's loser brother's name.

Its the only Grif (or Griff) I know.
Grif from red vs. blue

It's a hilarious web show, of you have not heard of it, watch it, though you may want to start from episode 1. It's hard for new comers to jump in at this point.
I don't know, Grif really comes off as a last name. That said, I have a friend called Dale Terry, which really sounds like it should be the other way around.

If you wanted to be a dick, while sticking to Red vs Blue, you could call him Lavernius.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
No, I will not give my child the burden for having an unsual name (one could look at this as I'm denine giving my child an interesting/ cool name). He or she will have an ordianary name.
The only possibly different name I would use is if I have a girl I could name her Faye but that name is sort of more of an anime thing than an game. I had only know one girl with that name.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I don't know if it's "exotic" but I think Damien is a pretty pimpin' name.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Specifically or deliberately, no.

I am not likely to pick an ordinary name (although nothing incredibly weird will be on the list either), but if I name a kid after something specific, it is far more likely to be from classic literature or a historical figure than a video game.

To put it another way, Dante or Virgil might be name choices, but if the kid asks about where it came from, I'll be telling him about "The Divine Comedy", or "The Aeneid", and not a video game that has nothing to do with the former story aside from the names involved. (I wouldn't name my child after a narcissistic bigot like Dante Alighieri in any case, whether it be the actual man, the character the man made up for his book, or the character in the game.)

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
If I had a son, I?d consider naming him ?Cid?, after the characters sharing that name in Final Fantasy. If I had a daughter, like Robin Williams, I?d consider naming her ?Zelda?, after the aforementioned princess in The Legend of Zelda.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
If I have a son I will name him Vincent Valentine Shepherd, obviously the Shepherd is my last name not some other reference.

Vincent Valentine is my favourite character of all time, from anything and its unlikely to change anytime soon as it hasnt in 15 years.

Doneeee

Dec 27, 2011
I would never do such a thing. I get that names usually have a story behind them, but if that story is that your dad was on a skyrim binge and named you Dovakhin then that's just sad.

LadyTiamat

Aug 13, 2011
Anoni Mus said:
Zelda, sounds like a name and it's uncommon, so it would be cool for a girl.
Robin Williams beat you to the punch, he named his daughter after the princess of hyrule.

LadyTiamat

Aug 13, 2011
daughter shall be named Jenova Eve (blank)- Parasite Eve and FF 7

and my son Mithos Angelous (blank)- from tales of symphonia, though he wasnt called angelous, he is an angel

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
I really don't want to give my kids names that are way out there, my four adopted Russian cousins got named Sky, River, Jade, and Ember. Awesome names to be sure but I don't envy them.

I want something that is not common but isn't bully worthy.
If I ever have a girl I will name her Luka, I will not take no for an answer. Offering of a cookie for someone who guess where the name came from.

If I have a boy I shall name him Tristan, I like the sound of the name. No cookies for guessing. This one is one of the Knights of the Round Table.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
If I had a male kid (unlikely) I'd name him Arakasi.

Arakasi is the Spy Master from Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts's Emipre Trilogy

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
Hafnium said:
I won't have kids, but if I did it would certainly be considered. Wouldn't go with Dogmeat or something lame or obvious, it would be unnoticable for most people, like Andrew (Ryan) or Garrus.
I... don't think Garrus would be too subtle, personally. (Despite how awesome it would make the theoretical kid.)

OT: Probably not. I'm perfectly willing to name a pet something from a video game... but I wouldn't do that to a kid. Not that I'm really planning on having kids anyways.