would you say this is wrong

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Hmmmm I wouldn't do it.
But whatever if the mom wants to deal with a kid like a bouncing ball, have at it.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Yes I think it's very wrong she had a child. The Red Bull could have helped her go out and have a great deal of childless fun.

Ravnican

Jul 19, 2010
Katherine Ciesla said:
Ravnican said:
Katherine Ciesla said:
jusplainrob said:
yesterday i saw a woman opening and giving a can of red bull to a child in a pram, i just thought it was wrong to be giving such a small child that kind of beverage or am i being old hat and prudish ?
Ok, I would agree that it isn't appropriate to give such a small child that kind of beverage.

...On the other hand, was she giving the child a small sip to make him or her stop complaining about being thirsty long enough to get from point A to point B in some pursuit? Or did she just hand the can to the kid and let them go to town? Because there's a big difference. Parents give their kids sips of whatever is handy if they are hot and bothered about it and making a fuss, eventually - and I don't think a sip would be that detrimental to the kid in the long run to bring down the wrath of society.
Bolded that because no matter how much of any given energy drink you ingest it'll not quench your thirst.

OP: Giving energy drinks to a kid, which contain caffeine and a lot of sugar, is not a sign of good parenting. Then again the other day I saw a woman who had her daughter on a leash (tied to a harness, but still WTF?) so I would not be surprised.
Yeah... less about making the kid not thirsty, more about letting them think they got their way and shut up for 5 minutes.

My father gave me sips of beer. I've seen my friends with their kids (I don't have any, except when I babysit for same friends) and most of those decisions are based on getting through the activity at hand without a tantrum (especially in the toddler phase).

But - again, did she give them a sip or a whole can? Because my stance on a whole can is full agreement with the "wrong" position.
According to the OP she did give the kid a whole can, but the wording could be considered a bit ambiguous. And I do not consider the "giving them a sip to shut them up" to be effective since they will probably grow to think that incessant nagging will get them what they want.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
That parent is going to in for a long night. Energy drinks are nothing but sugar and caffeine. No, it should not have been given to said child but I'm sure with that kid bouncing off the walls later that day. Maybe then the parent will have learned the lesson.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Ravnican said:
Katherine Ciesla said:
Ravnican said:
Katherine Ciesla said:
jusplainrob said:
yesterday i saw a woman opening and giving a can of red bull to a child in a pram, i just thought it was wrong to be giving such a small child that kind of beverage or am i being old hat and prudish ?
Ok, I would agree that it isn't appropriate to give such a small child that kind of beverage.

...On the other hand, was she giving the child a small sip to make him or her stop complaining about being thirsty long enough to get from point A to point B in some pursuit? Or did she just hand the can to the kid and let them go to town? Because there's a big difference. Parents give their kids sips of whatever is handy if they are hot and bothered about it and making a fuss, eventually - and I don't think a sip would be that detrimental to the kid in the long run to bring down the wrath of society.
Bolded that because no matter how much of any given energy drink you ingest it'll not quench your thirst.

OP: Giving energy drinks to a kid, which contain caffeine and a lot of sugar, is not a sign of good parenting. Then again the other day I saw a woman who had her daughter on a leash (tied to a harness, but still WTF?) so I would not be surprised.
Yeah... less about making the kid not thirsty, more about letting them think they got their way and shut up for 5 minutes.

My father gave me sips of beer. I've seen my friends with their kids (I don't have any, except when I babysit for same friends) and most of those decisions are based on getting through the activity at hand without a tantrum (especially in the toddler phase).

But - again, did she give them a sip or a whole can? Because my stance on a whole can is full agreement with the "wrong" position.
According to the OP she did give the kid a whole can, but the wording could be considered a bit ambiguous. And I do not consider the "giving them a sip to shut them up" to be effective since they will probably grow to think that incessant nagging will get them what they want.
Effective, no, but excusable, in my opinion. My sister was one of those difficult tantrum prone types, and it doesn't help to give in - but people aren't perfect and I don't expect them to be perfect parents all day every day - most of the time with only minor lapses is above par where I am from.

Ravnican

Jul 19, 2010
Katherine Ciesla said:
Ravnican said:
Katherine Ciesla said:
Ravnican said:
Katherine Ciesla said:
jusplainrob said:

Effective, no, but excusable, in my opinion. My sister was one of those difficult tantrum prone types, and it doesn't help to give in - but people aren't perfect and I don't expect them to be perfect parents all day every day - most of the time with only minor lapses is above par where I am from.
Hadn't thought of it that way. I still wouldn't let them near the stuff, though, but I understand your point.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
foxlovingfreak said:
I think it actually says on the cans of most engery drinks Dont give to small children. I don't rembere which but I know i've seen it before.
You know, I would've said that it's common sense/incredibly obvious to not give an energy drink to a child. But now that you mention it, it's true they actually put a warning on the cans... are people THAT retarded?
And are people retarded to the point they'd NOT follow the incredibly obvious directions on the can?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
jusplainrob said:
VERY much so....caffine isnt even good for young adults..let alone a friggen baby!

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I remember a doctor saying that children under 12 should never be given caffeine, and this source seems to back it up: http://www.diethealthclub.com/caffeine/caffeine-and-children.html

Dehydration and an increased heart rate can't be good. It's definitely wrong, and if it's occurring regularly then it probably borders on neglect.

Chris646

Jan 3, 2011
Ocealot said:
yes its wrong. But i dont understand. why would you give a child caffine I mean the longer they're asleep the better.
But the caffeine makes them stay awake longer

OT:
Yes, it's wrong to give that much condensed caffeine to a small child.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Esotera said:
I remember a doctor saying that children under 12 should never be given caffeine, and this source seems to back it up: http://www.diethealthclub.com/caffeine/caffeine-and-children.html

Dehydration and an increased heart rate can't be good. It's definitely wrong, and if it's occurring regularly then it probably borders on neglect.
Although I completely agree with you, given that it affects the heart-rate of children much more because they simply have less blood, everyone make one mistake.
Energy drinks DON'T DEHYDRATE YOU!
Technically, the ingredients do, but at most of the drink is actually water. It hydrates you.

Part of my war against scientific ignorance.

HotKakes

Aug 2, 2008
A child? Caffeine? Give caffeine to a child?! Children have enough energy as is. Last thing I need is another energetic child causing mayhem.

Oh wait, is this a moralistic topic based on the child's health or about the child's behavior? I'm more worried about how the child will act after the drink since I get irritated by loud and energetic children very easily.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Ravnican said:
Katherine Ciesla said:
Ravnican said:
Katherine Ciesla said:
Ravnican said:
Katherine Ciesla said:
jusplainrob said:

Hadn't thought of it that way. I still wouldn't let them near the stuff, though, but I understand your point.
Cheers to that. I'm fighting my own evil energy drink demons, when I have kids they get fruit and vegetable juice (I hope).

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
"OP: Giving energy drinks to a kid, which contain caffeine and a lot of sugar, is not a sign of good parenting. Then again the other day I saw a woman who had her daughter on a leash (tied to a harness, but still WTF?) so I would not be surprised."

my mum used harnesses on both me and my brother when we were little it stopped us trying to escape which we did alot and if they are very small and learning to walk and you are holding it you can catch them if they trip it's not inhumane or at all terrible as it's not the intention to hurt the child but keep them close and safe

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Da Orky Man said:
Esotera said:

Although I completely agree with you, given that it affects the heart-rate of children much more because they simply have less blood, everyone make one mistake.
Energy drinks DON'T DEHYDRATE YOU!
Technically, the ingredients do, but at most of the drink is actually water. It hydrates you.

Part of my war against scientific ignorance.
Interesting. The amount of water in an energy drink could be considered about the same volume in the can, and the amount of water lost by drinking that could probably be calculated by finding the caffeine intake. I'm not sure what to think. Have you got any sources to back that claim up?