Would you wear Project:Glass?

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Hoplon said:
given I have a thing on my face all the time in the form of glasses, it wouldn't be a big change, just more useful glasses.
Well, if they ever adapt this technology to prescription glasses, anyway.

In the meantime, if they didn't make these things fit-overs you can bet some poor Google engineer is going to be slapping his forehead pretty hard when a bunch of their customers complain about a "usability issue".

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
NOEP

Keeping a cell phone on me keeps me connected enough. I don't need to be fed my social network at every second.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
ThePS1Fan said:
HELL YES, monitor me everywhere I go, record every single conversation I have and sell all my personal info to anyone who asks just give me these first.
So i take it you dont have facebook then.
RagTagBand said:
Yes.

Take my motherfucking money.
Damned straight =D

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
The thing I don't understand about these devices is that they seem to always be built on the assumption that everyone on planet Earth is some kind of tech-obsessed douchebag (with no disrespect to the former intended). I mean seriously, you're gonna "check in" to a friggin' coffee van? But that's probably just because they wanted to show off all it can do.

On top of that I could just see a rise in accidents and vision impairment with your sight constantly being barred by flashy updates, not to mention people looking at you funny 'cause you're essentially talking to yourself all the time.

At least with something like a smart phone not only do they not expect you to strap it to your face 24/7, but it's such a diverse device that it can cater to people like me with just calls and the occasional photo to people who love themselves a bit of gadgetry with apps and functions out the wazoo.

Then again, I'm the sort of guy who's heart breaks whenever he sees a group of friends individually glued to their phones instead of interacting with each other, so maybe I'm just seeing this negatively as that friend situation times a billion and without the normality of carrying it around in your pocket until you actually need it. Plus:

One of those rare times when something could actually be improved by more closely resembling Kanye West glasses.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
My one concern is if they'll be able to make that work with prescription lenses. I don't want to be all super connected only to have my lazy eye re-enact the Brodyquest video while I'm trying to look all hip with my ukulele and my fake girlfriend.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
No. HUDs are cool in video games, but I don't think they'd translate well into real life.

I especially am no big fan of voice-command. I don't like the idea of talking to a machine.

And the fact that it's a piece of eyewear really makes the tech kind of implausible. I'm just not seeing a device like this taking off at all.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
ThePS1Fan said:
HELL YES, monitor me everywhere I go, record every single conversation I have and sell all my personal info to anyone who asks just give me these first.
So i take it you dont have facebook then.
Nope, they never offered my glasses that'd make me look like a complete tool or a Star Trek cos player or something. And like everyone else that's how I determine the value of a company. Still want these though.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
If it was reliable and didn't make me look like a douchebag, then definitely. But those are some huge issues.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
no. No. NOOOO.

Seriously, I'm becoming a huge technophobe. The social networks are bad enough, not to mention being forced into constant contact with everyone at once.... Pretty soon they'll be planting microchips in our heads and then? SINGULARITY!!!!

Okay, a little extreme, but yeah... still no. I don't want to constantly be connected to a network.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
If they have apps and stuff sure. I've been waiting for this kind of thing forever.

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Given that I have to wear glasses anyways I say Hell yeah! I imagine it wouldn't be hard to incorporate that technology into a perscription lens.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
No. I don't need ads popping up in my eyes. They'd probably give my body a shock if I tried to install an ad blocker...

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
No. No no no no no.

I don't need something that can track my every move like that, and all my communication. So, no, get it as far away as possible. Hell, I don't even have facebook you know - which is funny, since I'm the most nerdy and digital one from my family...and the only one who doesn't have facebook.

And apart from the "tracking" thing, I really do like to, you know, use my own goddamn brain.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
RatRace123 said:
Plus, it doesn't look like they show my health bar, or show my enemies on the radar.
Can you imagine if it showed 'health bars'? Unless you were a gym junkie cross-bred with a health-nut, it'd probably be pretty dismal considering how often people eat junk food, or drink coffee, or whatever their poison is.

I wouldn't mind HUD glasses, except maybe make them MORE voice activated or something so you aren't getting stuff popping up whenever you see a billboard. Also, if there was some nice layout control on it, so you can have it either provide star ratings, or change hues, or whatever you want it to do for whatever function you want it to do it for.

But I wouldn't get one. I don't want some mega-corporation knowing where I am any more than they already do.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
yeah looks pretty cool to me aesthetics are a little off for me though

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I've seen these all over the internet today and I've been wondering what they were.
They look pretty ugly.

Other than that, they're just an accident waiting to happen and a nuisence to everyone around.

I have 20/20 vision. I'm not going to wear glasses.

They make them into a sweet pair of aviators, and make them more discrete to use then we'll talk.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Da Orky Man said:
Erm, it's a small transparent screen. I see no need for any surgery. And you do know that similar companies have developed a synthetic eye that can allow basic sight to the blind? You may want to look things up before roundly criticising.
So a small transparent screen is how they would achieve the tech in that video?, I doubt it.

And why quote me on something you then turn around and tell me?
How do you think they make a synthetic eye work?! - it involves an implant in your brain and the removal of an eye... now I haven't been in an apple store for a while, so I'm not sure how they're kitted out for major surgery...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaHUpWuqNHY