Would you wear Project:Glass?

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
No way in hell.

Looks cool until you're in court and they've magically stumbled upon thousands of hours of footage of you doing something illegal like fapping in the streets.

Well you know what I mean.

This is pretty much the ultimate in Orwell.

A CCTV in every pair of eyes.

I feared this day.
So don't break the law then. Or if you really really have to do something illegal, take the glasses off first.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
artanis_neravar said:
Abandon4093 said:
No way in hell.

Looks cool until you're in court and they've magically stumbled upon thousands of hours of footage of you doing something illegal like fapping in the streets.

I feared this day.
So don't break the law then. Or if you really really have to do something illegal, take the glasses off first.

every

EVERY

[HEADING=2]EVERY[/HEADING]

[HEADING=1]EVERY![/HEADING]
Ok, then Don't break the law, there is a reason they have the law.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
I might consider it, it would need to tell me my health and armour though.

OT: Probably not, because it has GPS in it and could be used to track me.

Abandon4093 said:
artanis_neravar said:
Abandon4093 said:
No way in hell.

I feared this day.

every

EVERY

[HEADING=2]EVERY[/HEADING]

[HEADING=1]EVERY![/HEADING]
He makes a good point, I might have to start breaking everyone's glasses just in-case they had this thing and were recording me.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
If they can put Space Invaders on that thing, I'm sold. I'd be a bit worried about focusing on the insides of the glasses though, they'd have to put some crazy perspectives in so you wouldn't strain your eyes.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
No, it has no real use that cannot be done by something much cheaper, less obnoxious and less intruding. Also, it's incredibly gimmicky.

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Why does a guy need a mini map to locate a book in the library?
Depends on the library. I've been in some academic libraries that are really horribly laid out because their buildings were originally constructed to be something else. London's Maughan Library, for instance, was built in the 1850s as the Public Record Office, and something like 90% of its books are stored on short little shelves in tiny rat-warren-like rooms[footnote]That I can only assume used to be offices belonging to Victorian bureaucrats.[/footnote] in any one of a number of maze-ish corridors on about six different floors.

I would give a vital organ to have a pair of these glasses that would let me just give it an item number and then display a glowing line to follow along the floor to get to the right shelf.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Buzz Killington said:
If they can actually make it react that quickly and have decent battery life, yes. I'm thinking the reality will be a bit more clunky than what's in this video, though. I might wait for the second version.
Pretty much this, and I'm thinking its going to be a LOT more clunky than in that video. Seeing Google at the end gives me some hope, but uhh... yeah. I'm doubting that will get pulled off sadly.
Eh, if it works well enough, I'm getting one. I doubt it will though. Also, I hope they allow those things to take prescription lenses, or else I won't be getting it.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Meh. I'd be more accepting if it was widely used. I don't know if I'd want to be an early adopter.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
- Wake up. Remember to meet girlfriend later tonight.

- Look outside, can see clouds, know it's going to be cold. Wear a jacket.

- Friend calls. Tell them I'll meet them somewhere I already know the way to.

- Discover subway is delayed. My friend waits an extra 15 minutes.

- See poster for concert I want to go to. If I want to go that badly I remember when I get home and book tickets. If I forget, I forget.

- Get to book store, risk human interaction and ask staff where music section is. Get book.

- See if my friend is waiting where we agreed to meet. If not I sit and think or browse books.

- We go and eat. If it's good my stomach and brain combine to remind where it is in future. If it still exists, when I want it.

- I see something I like. I take a picture or just enjoy it for what it is.

No glasses required.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
I wear prescription glasses, so if they find some way around that, sure I'd wear it.

It's one step closer to Accel World.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Seems like it can do some useful stuff- yeah, I'd wear it. It seems based around social life, though, so I'd only get so much use out of it- I don't exactly have a circle to share neat artworks with.

I dug the thing in the bookstore, though. Immediate access to maps of any compliant establishments? Yes sir. On my glasses I never take off? Tell me more. (That's assuming I can shove prescription lenses in them somehow. Not really sure how the overlay works)

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
I was wearing glasses before they had video messaging.
/hipster.

I can see several problems with having your phone strapped to your face, though.

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
floppylobster said:
- Wake up. Remember to meet girlfriend later tonight.

- Look outside, can see clouds, know it's going to be cold. Wear a jacket.

- Friend calls. Tell them I'll meet them somewhere I already know the way to.

- Discover subway is delayed. My friend waits an extra 15 minutes.

- See poster for concert I want to go to. If I want to go that badly I remember when I get home and book tickets. If I forget, I forget.

- Get to book store, risk human interaction and ask staff where music section is. Get book.

- See if my friend is waiting where we agreed to meet. If not I sit and think or browse books.

- We go and eat. If it's good my stomach and brain combine to remind where it is in future. If it still exists, when I want it.

- I see something I like. I take a picture or just enjoy it for what it is.

No glasses required.
What's funny is that you can dial all of the analogue in your post back even more. I can do all of the things in the ad on my smartphone without needing a dorky pair of glasses to throw intrusive pop-up notifications in my face. The only thing I can't do in the ad is play a ukulele while holding said phone, but I would never fucking touch a ukulele so we're good.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Dear god No. People are already entirely too vapid and reliant on the internet as it stands.

Seriously. If you have lived in a city long enough to tell someone to meet you in front of X bookstore and buy tickets for some random indie artist playing at a club that you are familiar with its a pretty safe bet you wont need directions to it or detour directions to the bookstore, nor would you need a internal layout map of the bookstore because youve likely been in there before.

Another thing of this.. Is this sets the stage for massive fan letdown, because its a guarantee this will not work in any way shape or form like or as fast as what this video portrays, leading in ME3 ending retalliation when people are unsatisfied with the product and end up making Siri like lawsuits.

This is truly TRULY a bad idea.

EDIT: Also, let us not forget. That this video only shows you the hypothetically functional portions of this. It does not show you what you absolutely KNOW will be there as in forced advertisements and popups trying to sell you even more inane crap you dont need.

Other thought: How fast would laws be put into place restricting where this could be used, specifically while driving, operating heavy machinery, etc