WoW Player Claims Kicked from Guild for Being Deaf

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Sounds like he was in a Hardcore/Pro guild, overall he's better off being seperated from them and finding some actual decent ppl.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Oh, well sure the could be nicer but would any kind of other group acted any different?
If I join a soccer team for average players, but don't have any legs, they probably won't let me play or join in the first place.

There are teams for handicapped people out there, because they have any right to do what they want without any restrictions. But the same thing goes for people without disabilites. So that's why special needs teams exist.

There are guilds out there that don't use vent. He should have researched one of those instead of joining an average guild and counting on the empathy and flexibility of an internet-group. Sad but true, I think.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
It's their guild and they have their rules. If he wasn't helping the guild then he is gone. If you have a job where you have to listen to something and you can't do that anymore then you shouldn't have that job. He was in a guild that used voice chat in the groups, if he can't hear then when needed he is just wasting time.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Out of all the people that play WOW there has to be a guild or somewhere that allows deaf people to raid with them.

If not, what a load of horse-shit. Somebody make one.

Wes1180

Wes1180
Jul 25, 2009
It is the rules but come on, make an exception, its not as if its him just going I don't want to use it...

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
...Does text chat not exist? It might bog down efficiency, but come on man, it's a fucking game. It's not like a job.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
FinalHeart95 said:
...Does text chat not exist? It might bog down efficiency, but come on man, it's a fucking game. It's not like a job.
We're talking about very serious WoW players here. WoW IS their lives.

These people have serious problems.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
Exterminas said:
Oh, well sure the could be nicer but would any kind of other group acted any different?
If I join a soccer team for average players, but don't have any legs, they probably won't let me play or join in the first place.
But they'd let you play if you were deaf.

Seriously being deaf isn't like having no legs. Having legs is completely vital to play Soccer. Being Deaf is just a minor inconvenience like being deaf and playing soccer. Its not crippling.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Chibz said:
FinalHeart95 said:

I realize that, it just seemed like too many people in this thread were even the slightest bit sympathetic toward the guild.
Which scared me.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...Wow. That's a pretty douchey thing to do. There's no excuse for kicking someone out of the group just because they happen to be deaf!

Assholes. I sincerly hope the guy finds a better group than that lot.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
FinalHeart95 said:
Chibz said:
FinalHeart95 said:

I realize that, it just seemed like too many people in this thread were even the slightest bit sympathetic toward the guild.
Which scared me.
Didn't he mention that the guild was fairly casual? Doesn't seem like the serious second job types. But maybe I'm mistaken.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Did anyone who read this notice this part?

Its become that most people i thought were my friends just didn't want to deal with me anymore as i had become inconvenient. I felt more alone than ever.

Isn't it more sad that people he thought was his friend in real life don't want to be his friend because of his hearing problems. More so then a group of people he seem to never have met before.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
FinalHeart95 said:
It does, and he has shitty friends for doing that to him. See here's the problem, text chat is very slow, I've run instances with groups before with players that don't use a mic. It's really hard to move fast when you have to communicate by typing (while trying to punch other keys too). You'll die at higher level areas if you're too slow.

I'm not saying he can't play though, what I think would work is some kind of mod that allows use of symbols or a voice to text app of some kind. That would speed things up enough that it wouldn't be an issue. I think his guild sucks for doing that and not even trying to work with him (especially considering he's a skilled player already). (I lost my voice once when I got sick years ago and I kind of know how debilitating that is when you can't communicate normally. It sucks).

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
He can find a better guild than that. Dickhead leader, and they've only ever managed to clear 10man Naxxramas?

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
poiumty said:
Wow, lots of people here who do not understand at all how some wow guilds operate.

In a statement that will probably attract incredible ire from everyone here, i can vouch for the guildmaster if the guild was trying to compete in the raiding scene. Being in a guild isn't a right, it's a privilege, and if you're useless to the raid and the guild only does raiding, then you're useless to the guild. There is no reason for you to stay.

Hardcore raiding guilds in wow operate on a simple principle: finish raids faster than EVERYONE ELSE. Everything that hinders that progress will have no place in the guild. There's 25 people in the guild, they form one homogenous well-oiled machine or they die over and over. Being deaf in this case is a severe detriment to that part. I used to be in a guild that would have made the same choice: we weren't there to be nice to eachother and make like we were friends. We were there to raid, cooperate and reap the rewards; the bonding came from that last part. There's plenty of friendly guilds out there who are glorified chat channels, and none of them would kick him out on account that he's deaf.

As for text chat in raids: that's ignorant of how wow raids work. You have to be seriously crazy to use text chat in raids and expect to get anywhere. Ventrilo or some other VOIP channel is entirely mandatory due to the strict split-second decisions and the infernally fast pace once a fight starts. There is no time for standing around like an idiot and writing stuff down. Text chat means you die, it's too slow to save anyone, and it means people have one other area of the screen to pay attention to, which is BAD.

So if you were in that guildmaster's position, i DARE you to make the choice that would screw over 24 other people just for the sake of being nice to one of them, because, you know, it's a game. Even though you don't owe him a guild spot and he's made it quite clear that he will be a giant liability for the rest of his days. This kind of shit breaks guilds apart, guys. The guildmaster did the right choice, and doesn't deserve your scorn.
I agree with this, besides it's not like he said "Your deaf and we HATE deaf people" it was we can't work well enough using text chat cause we need fast picks.