WoW Player Gets Power, Gets Corrupted, Gets Banned

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Wouldukindly said:
I don't really understand WoW politics, but it seems like a simple mistake and a guy just trying to have some fun. Remove the achievements and loot he gained along with the Martin Fury and give him his account back.
Right on.

Undeed

May 22, 2008
Slycne said:
cainx10a said:
Not fair. Blizzard's fault, they should have just removed the item and locked his account for the same amount of time given to his guild mates.
If he had sent something to Blizzard asking about the item I would agree with you, but it doesn't sound like this is the case. It would be like finding a million dollars lying on the street, you don't just start spending it. It's pretty apparent that an accident was made and they did not intend to give him an item that instant kills enemies. I don't buy that he thinks they legitimately gave that to him for a second. He got greedy and wanted to use it, and now he is simply enjoying his 15 minutes of fame. He deserved what he got in my opinion.
No, it'd be like finding a million dollars in your mail box. It seemed like it was intended for him. And I'm fairly sure that most people here would just start spending it, times is hard.

hotacidbath

Mar 2, 2009
The Inconvenient Cookie said:
Lets be honest, if you recieve an item that instantly kills everything, the chances are it's not legitemite. I would of repor- CHRIST I'M BORING.
You have toast as your avatar. I think boring is an understatement. I kid, I kid!

Back on topic, while it was an obvious mistake and he should have reported it to someone, I probably would have done the same thing in his situation. I also think the ban was too far. Suspension and removing the items and achievements he got using the shirt sounds fair though.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Undeed said:
Slycne said:
cainx10a said:
Not fair. Blizzard's fault, they should have just removed the item and locked his account for the same amount of time given to his guild mates.
If he had sent something to Blizzard asking about the item I would agree with you, but it doesn't sound like this is the case. It would be like finding a million dollars lying on the street, you don't just start spending it. It's pretty apparent that an accident was made and they did not intend to give him an item that instant kills enemies. I don't buy that he thinks they legitimately gave that to him for a second. He got greedy and wanted to use it, and now he is simply enjoying his 15 minutes of fame. He deserved what he got in my opinion.
No, it'd be like finding a million dollars in your mail box. It seemed like it was intended for him. And I'm fairly sure that most people here would just start spending it, times is hard.
Well to strain the analogy even further it would be like finding a million dollars in your friends mail box, but your friend gave it to you with little to no explanation.

Karatechop was not the character who received the item, it was given to another character in his guild who gave it to him. That right there makes the "Blizzard gave it to him" argument fly right out the window for me.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
It's like finding a 100$ note, who the hell would say 'did anyone lose this'? I also say Blizzard is over-reacting.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Good way to quit an MMO habit while getting a bit of publicity n making Blizzard look like boobs for managing to give away a GM item. Would say they are over-reacting but MMOs are "serious business"

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
I would do the exact some thing as this guy, he shouldn't be punished for it.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Seeing as I just got banned for Economy Exploitation without logging on any time in the past two or three weeks, my first instinct is to side with Karatechop.

But in all honesty, he should have reported it.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Blizzard overreacted on purpose to set an example. The guy could get his account back if he stomped his feet enough, but I don't think he really cares... which kind of proves his point that he was just having fun.

Blizzard looks like a bunch of idiots right now.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Slycne said:
It would be like finding a million dollars lying on the street, you don't just start spending it.
But this wasn't just lying in the street. It was in his pocket. Brother believe me, if I have a pair of pants in my room and one day I put them on and find one million dollars in the pocket, someone put it there and now it's mine.

Can't underestimate the appeal of a "You Win" button, like the guy said.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
If your given something world-ending you gotta respect it. And use it only for good. Apparently though its so much more fun to pwn with it.