Wranglers: Hobbit Production Responsible for 27 Animal Deaths

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Wranglers: Hobbit Production Responsible for 27 Animal Deaths

PETA reportedly plans to stage protests at the New Zealand, US and UK premieres of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

Animal wranglers involved in the making of the upcoming Hobbit trilogy claim that the production has caused up to 27 avoidable animal deaths. According to the wranglers, the animals died because the farm they were kept on when they weren't working was filled with bluffs, sinkholes and other "death traps." The wranglers claim they repeatedly raised concerns about the farm, which housed some 150 animals during the production, with their superiors, but that no changes were made. Wrangler, Johnny Smythe, claims he was fired after arguing with his boss about the treatment of the animals.

The American Humane Association confirms that no animals were harmed during the actual filming, but admits that it only monitors film sets, not the facilities where animals are housed and trained. The association did investigate the farm at the production company's request and recommended a number of changes, including upgraded fences and farm housing.

Matt Dravitzki, a spokesperson for director, Peter Jackson, confirmed that numerous horses, goats, chickens and one sheep died at the farm, and that at least two of the deaths were "avoidable." He also claimed that some of the 27 deaths were down to natural causes and that the company spent hundreds of thousands of dollars upgrading the housing and stable facilities in early 2011.

"We do know those deaths were avoidable and we took steps to make sure it didn't happen again," he said.

Dravitzki added that the company no longer leases the farm and none of its animals have been left on the property. He also pointed out that Peter Jackson had adopted three of the pigs used in the filming.

Everyone's favorite terrorist-funding [http://www.animalliberationfront.com/ALFront/AgainstALF/PETA%20rejects%20claim%20it%20funds%20terror%20groups.htm], animal rights organization, PETA, has caught wind of the controversy, and reportedly intends to stage protests at the New Zealand, US and UK premieres of the film.

Source: Ottawa Citizen [http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entertainment/movie-guide/Wranglers+horses+other+animals+used+Hobbit+movies+died+unsafe+Zealand+farm/7569639/story.html]

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
All I got from that article was the Hobbit is probably getting free advertisement from naked crazy chicks. Good for you, Peter Jackson!

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I can't say I really care one way or the other, animals die on a daily basis to feed me, I can't see a problem with a few dying in the service of making a good film, even if what Wrangler claims is true.

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
Picket the Movie because one person working on it was irresponsible. Completely rational.

Farm accidents happen all the time.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Quaxar said:
All I read was the Hobbit is getting free advertisement from naked crazy chicks. Good for you, Peter Jackson!
Yes, I needed a good reminder about The Hobbit.
What was that about crazy naked chicks?

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
Eating a turkey and pigmeat sandwich as I write this. PETA ranks up there with Westboro Baptist. Any movie that uses as many animals as a Middle Earth production is going to have accidents and deaths. Stuff happens, move on. Back to eating my turkey and pigmeat sandwich, yum.

Elvaril

Dec 31, 2010
The Hobbit production was responsible for the deaths of 27 animals. That is less than a drop in the barrel when compared to the amount of animal deaths that PETA is responsible for.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Doom972 said:
Quaxar said:
All I read was the Hobbit is getting free advertisement from naked crazy chicks. Good for you, Peter Jackson!
Yes, I needed a good reminder about The Hobbit.
What was that about crazy naked chicks?
Edited that post for easier understanding. I'm assuming PETA is going to protest the only way they can... maybe they'll go with fake blood but my hope is on the naked models dressed as hobbits bludgeoning rabbits with battleaxes.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This movie just can't get rid of its bad buzz, can it?

Still, one doubts this is the only time this has happened on a movie set. What about all those movies that have horses fall over? Sure, they're trained for that kind of thing, but you can't tell me a good deal of them didn't meet their fate by breaking their leg during these particular moments.

Still, when 27 animals die because of negligence, that's nothing to sneeze at.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
The problem with New Zealand is this: The terrain isn't the easiest to keep animals on. Horses especially are sensitive to the rocks and bluffs on land. It's not unheard of for horses falling like that in New Zealand. Sheep can handle it (being a species that likes rocks and mountains), but horses can't. You also have problems with stray dogs getting into hutches, barns, and paddocks. No lock is completely immune to be evaded by a hungry animal.

From what I've heard, soon after some of these complaints were made, a lot of fixes were done to help keep the animals safer. Just...PETA is making a big deal out of this NOW.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Pity none of them were giant Spiders.
Giant spiders would have to exist then and that's far worse.

And to be OT:

Yeah PETA won't make much of a diffrence here, I feel that charges should be brought for the dead animals but against those who were actually responsible and not the whole movie in general.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
If you're an animal, I'm pretty sure dying during the production of The Hobbit is the most honorable death you're gonna get, unless you're one of those animals that saves lives or something. If I was that one sheep, I would be proud to be turned into the mutton the giants were complaining about.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
The problem about picketing ouside of a Lord of the Rings film, unlike most films say Harry Potter or even Star Wars, many of them will probably be in costume, weilding wooden to dull bladed weapons. You'll likely have a whole army chasing you down the street if you try to prevent them from seeing the movie.

They WILL release the trolls on those PETA assholes.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I can almost hear the hypocrisy. If the cast and crew were going around kicking them into pits then they might rank as bad as PETA but, as it stands, accidents have been known to happen from time to time and if they get in the way of me going to see the film then I will beat them to death with one of those cinema cardboard cutouts. A slow, humiliating and tedious death.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
PETA murders THOUSANDS of animals each year...

They have NO RIGHT to ***** about 27.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Grey Carter said:
The American Humane Association confirms that no animals were harmed during the actual filming, but admits that it only monitors film sets, not the facilities where animals are housed and trained.
Why am I not surprised? I've yet to see a group with "humane" in the title that wasn't a bunch of incompetents or an outright racket.