Wranglers: Hobbit Production Responsible for 27 Animal Deaths

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
I have to picture a group of fans dressed as Gandalf counter protesting PETA by showing up to the theaters first and shouting "You shall not pass!" when the protesters try to herd in front of the theater...
Then the cavalry comes in to take them out when they refuse to go away
...ok so maybe that last bit doesn't happen... but there will surely be a brawl if PETA tries to stop admittance.

Dularaki

Jan 5, 2011
I love animals and hate to see them needlessly harmed, but a few points.
1. Animals are food.
2. NOTHING is going to stop me from seeing another LOTR film
3. PETA models make me horny....and hungry.

Elvaril

Dec 31, 2010
SpiderJerusalem said:
It's poor journalism on the Escapist's part to just run with the story without fact checking, something they've done before. This news could have easily been debunked with just a quick google search to find everything that Jackson mentions in his response.

Elvaril said:
To be fair to the Escapist, I posted the note from PJ here almost immediately after it went up, which was hours after the initial article was posted here. The Escapist was just posting the story as it stood at the moment.

kuolonen said:
I came here expecting to read many many preaching posts about treatment of animals and yet find myself thoroughly underwhelmed by the amount of post in support of these animals. Is this really the same website where I found myself reading about people defending the the ethical treatment of cockroaches?

[link]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.387582-Researchers-Remotely-Control-Cockroaches-With-Electronic-Backpack?page=1[/link]

OT: The mandatory joke about how many of the animals were killed for Peter Jackson to munch down.
If it were any other organisation doing the protesting, then there might be more supporters. As it stands, this site just really, REALLY hates PETA.
Also, have you seen a picture of post-diet Peter Jackson? He looks fantastic. That joke really does not work anymore.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Angel Molina said:
As soon as I finished reading the paragraph were PETA decides to go ahead and protest (even if Jackson adopted three pigs after the incidents), I couldn't help but remember this web comic:

(Also, I know this img. is too big, but i don't know how to make it smaller, does anyone know how to shrink images? Thanks in advance)
Just add spoiler tags around the image, like so:

Quote me to see the tags required.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Wait isn't PETA the organisation that wants to just set animals free regardless of whether or not they're able to survive in the wild? Seems a bit rich that they'd get upset at something like this.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
dragongit said:
The problem about picketing ouside of a Lord of the Rings film, unlike most films say Harry Potter or even Star Wars, many of them will probably be in costume, weilding wooden to dull bladed weapons. You'll likely have a whole army chasing you down the street if you try to prevent them from seeing the movie.
We've asked the cast of Lord of the Rings to pre-enact that for us. Here's the result:

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Sean951 said:
I would recommend you look up what the American Humane Society actually does before dissing it and incompetent.

Here [http://www.americanhumane.org/] is their home page.
Please direct me to the part of the page that explains how they missed 27 dead animals while making sure No Animals Were Harmed, I'm not clever enough to find it.

They complain that the farm was beyond their jurisdiction and they need more power (of course), yet they didn't see fit to complain or threaten even though they saw the place? Apparently a national organization doesn't even have the power to make a media stink.

And meanwhile the Humane Society of the United States is actively making the lives of animals worse [http://humanewatch.org/index.php/site/post/the_humane_society_of_the_united_states_hurts_pets/] and keeping local shelters from getting money.

In my experience, if you want to actually help animals, you go local.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Raggedstar said:
The problem with New Zealand is this: The terrain isn't the easiest to keep animals on.
Don't be silly. New Zealand isn't one massive mass of steep, hilly terrain that is no good for keeping horses. That is like me saying Canada is terrible for farming because of all the mountains. Pretty ignorant right? In fact dairy products make up over 20% of New Zealand's exports. Trust me this place is perfect for keeping animals.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Magichead said:
Casual Shinji said:
This movie just can't get rid of its bad buzz, can it?

Still, one doubts this is the only time this has happened on a movie set. What about all those movies that have horses fall over? Sure, they're trained for that kind of thing, but you can't tell me a good deal of them didn't meet their fate by breaking their leg during these particular moments.

Still, when 27 animals die because of negligence, that's nothing to sneeze at.
When the group bringing attention to those deaths is PETA, an organisation not only responsible for many, many, MANY more animal deaths than 27, but also for funding a group which threatens, terrorises, and assaults sentient human beings, destroys their property, and has allegedly been involved in several human deaths, then you're right, it's nothing to sneeze at; it's something to snort derisively at.

Seriously, how are these shitbags still not in prison? The USA has tried to extradite British IT technicians in order to try them as terrorists just because they maintained a server which had the fucking email account of a suspected terrorist on it, yet these PETA cunts regularly funnel money into a group who sent threats to a good friend of mine threatening to fucking rape her because she works in medical research(which is "raping" animals, according to these ALF whackjobs).

Anyone who supports PETA is scum, anyone who donates money to PETA is scum, and anyone who lends even the slightest shred of credibility to PETA is scum.
Just because PETA are dickfaces doesn't mean that having 27 animals die for no apparent reason isn't bad thing though. And from what I read, it was the wranglers who rung the bell. PETA simply got wind of it and is now going to picket at the premiere.

But like I said, I doubt this is the first time this has ever happened on a movie set.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
Casual Shinji said:
Just because PETA are dickfaces doesn't mean that having 27 animals die for no apparent reason isn't bad thing though. And from what I read, it was the wranglers who rung the bell. PETA simply got wind of it and is now going to picket at the premiere.

But like I said, I doubt this is the first time this has ever happened on a movie set.
Except that the allegations are untrue and have already been debunked numerous times over.

Like most things that PETA claims to be true.
I didn't catch the rest of the thread, but like I said, even if it was true I doubt things like this haven't happened before on movies. Afterall plenty of stuntmen kick the bucket while on the job all the time. I don't reckon stunt animals are much luckier. Not that these supposedly dead animals in the article were stunt animals, but you get the idea.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So why couldn't they use the same method of whatever it is to look after the animal in the first film (or did they had alot more animals in The Hobbit)? I assume the animals used were for the scene in Hobbiton since as far as I know the animal were fine in the first film.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
There must have been a source for the PETA funding of terror groups other than the website of one such terror group. I'm not overly paranoid about it but some folks might not like clicking a link that takes them to a website run by the ALF, a US based group identified as terrorists by the FBI.

Other than that, PETA sucks. They are attention sniffing whores who love money far more than animals. Can't trust someone who claims that it's evil to use animal derived insulin but says it's OK for her to use it so she can "fight the good fight."

If it's OK for her, it's OK for other folks but god help you if you want to use around these pricks.

Yeah PETA sucks. Carry on,

midij19

Apr 20, 2010
i love it how PETA's reputation is so bad that even when they make a good point everyone just ignores and laughs at it.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Xan Krieger said:
PETA is in the right on this one, these deaths were avoidable and the fact that they didn't prevent the deaths in the first place is reason enough to protest it. If a movie costs innocent lives the movie should never even be released.
PETA kills animals on a regular basis, far more than accidentally died during the filming (Or died of natural causes during the filming) of this one film.

How about this: An animal charity that costs the lives of animals on a regular basis should not be allowed to exist.

For comparison why not compare PETA with, say, the RSPCA? Compare strategies and aims and tell me which is the more ethical group.

No matter how decent the cause is the moment PETA touches it it becomes toxic.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Animals getting killed by natural death traps...i thought it was natural selection <.<