Wreck-It Ralph 2 Official Trailer

Kyman102

Apr 16, 2009
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
Basement Cat said:
I do wonder how much time they'll spend in WoW or KOTOR type multiplayers
Ready Player One gave me enough of that nonsense, thanks.
I wonder how much all the cameos that movie will have will actually have a major part in the movie?

Like is Iron Giant gonna be a full fledged character in the movie following the protaginist?
If it's like the book, probably not. There'll be lots of stuff from pop culture, but it won't mean anything, just be sensory overload at best, and obnoxious easter eggs at worst.
I've been picking at Ready Player One bit by bit, and I have to say that in my opinion the only way to get a good movie out of the idea is to completely throw out the actual book and take the base premise and put it in the hands of a writer who's NOT a jaded arrogant fuck who just wants to show how much of an 80s Mainstream Fanatic he is.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
CaitSeith said:
Canadamus Prime said:
I'm guessing they're just going to gloss over, if not completely ignore, the fact that they're abandoning their games even though that was a major plot point in the first movie.
Now that you mention it, how the heck did Vanellope get out of her game? She was still glitchy at the end of the first movie.
I assume since she was restored to her proper form at the end of the first movie she was then able to leave her game.
cathou said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Possible except for one tiny detail, in the trailer we see them interfering with that little girl's tablet game in the middle of the day.
internet is global. it could be nigth at the arcade, and day where ever the little girl is...
That's certainly possible, but I get the distinct impression that that isn't the case. Given that I'm getting a very "shallow cash in" vibe from this, I highly doubt the writers were clever enough to think of that.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
InflatableHippo said:
The entire point of the Emoji movie was as an advertisement for people to buy animated Emoji's.

This movie will be an advertisement for whatever company's will pay the studio to advertise.

We now live in an era where people pay to be advertised to.
We've been living in that era ever since they started making movies about the Care Bears and Transformers. But nobody cared because it was the '80s and CAPITALISM BITCHES.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
CaitSeith said:
Now that you mention it, how the heck did Vanellope get out of her game? She was still glitchy at the end of the first movie.
From what I recall (I haven't seen the movie recently so I might be wrong), Vanellope's flicker/teleport thing was an actual game mechanic/special power of hers rather than a corruption/error in the game code.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
CaitSeith said:
Canadamus Prime said:
I'm guessing they're just going to gloss over, if not completely ignore, the fact that they're abandoning their games even though that was a major plot point in the first movie.
This illustrates the other thing I don't like about Wreck It Ralph (besides it being a movie ostensibly about arcade games, spending most of its time marketing a candy land at kids); The movie has to constantly set up arbitrary rules to make its plot work, only to screw itself over later on.

So to start with, they do the Toy Story thing of having the characters having to hide the fact they are sentient from the human players. I'm fine with that because the masquerade is intuitive; human children don't see videogame characters or toys moving in real life, so if they can, they must be doing it out of sight.

From there, we are helpfully told if a game character dies inside their game they're fine, but outside of their game, they stay dead... which I guess is necessary to set up a plausible danger for the protagonist, even if that sounds kind of arbitrary.

Then we are told that glitches can't leave their game. Because the story needs a reason for Vanellope to be stuck in to be stuck in one place, and they couldn't think of anything better than this made up rule that exists purely for this purpose.

Then we are told that some of the characters in the game are actually viruses so it is fine to kill them, even though there is no reason for them not to be game characters, and the whole premise of Wreck it Ralph is that the "bad guys aren't bad guys" (unless I guess they're space bugs; fuck those guys).

Then we are shown that Vanellope is actually a proper character in her game, that all the other racers had their brains messed with by a cheatcode, and their memories had been wiped to make them unaware of this fact and to hide the bad guy's identity. This is all a hasty justification for why Penelope (and the audience) are no longer supposed to resent the other characters for bullying Vanellope, and to hide the obvious fact that everyone would notice some asshole appearing in their game. It however creates its own plot hole in that if Vanellope's glitches are a built in character perk, then she isn't a glitch and she should have always been able to leave the game. So I guess the cheat code changed that aspect about her too? Eh.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kyman102 said:
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
Basement Cat said:
I wonder how much all the cameos that movie will have will actually have a major part in the movie?

Like is Iron Giant gonna be a full fledged character in the movie following the protaginist?
If it's like the book, probably not. There'll be lots of stuff from pop culture, but it won't mean anything, just be sensory overload at best, and obnoxious easter eggs at worst.
I've been picking at Ready Player One bit by bit, and I have to say that in my opinion the only way to get a good movie out of the idea is to completely throw out the actual book and take the base premise and put it in the hands of a writer who's NOT a jaded arrogant fuck who just wants to show how much of an 80s Mainstream Fanatic he is.
So Moviebob?

And to be fair some people took basic premise of a book but never adapted the story.

Look at There Will Be Blood and the book its based on, Oil!

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Samtemdo8 said:
Kyman102 said:
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
Basement Cat said:

So Moviebob?

And to be fair some people took basic premise of a book but never adapted the story.

See also Jaws and The Godfather, whose movies thankfully leave out all the lurid, trashy sex stuff from the novels

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
maninahat said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kyman102 said:
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
Basement Cat said:

So Moviebob?

See also Jaws and The Godfather, whose movies thankfully leave out all the lurid, trashy sex stuff from the novels
Don't get me started on that subplot in the novel for Jaws. Holy shit....

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Natemans said:
maninahat said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kyman102 said:
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
Basement Cat said:

So Moviebob?

This I gotta know...what is this subplot in the book?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Samtemdo8 said:
Natemans said:
maninahat said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kyman102 said:
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
Basement Cat said:

So Moviebob?

Hooper is having an affair with Chief Brody's wife, and he eventually dies in the book. Brody's eye has a habit of wandering too.

In The Godfather, the movie leaves out a ton of the book's subplots involving the minor characters. In particular, there's a whole ongoing thing about the sexual exploits of a Frank Sinatra expy, and there is another around a minor character who's vagina was ruptured by Sonny's giant bear cock.

Basically, airport fiction in the 60s and 70s was pretty trashy because and didn't have to abide by movie "morality" standards. TV shows have only just started to catch up.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
InflatableHippo said:
The entire point of the Emoji movie was as an advertisement for people to buy animated Emoji's.

This movie will be an advertisement for whatever company's will pay the studio to advertise.

We now live in an era where people pay to be advertised to.
Hey, that sounds like Cable TV! I remember when Cable was advertisement free; and suddenly it wasn't anymore.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
maninahat said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Natemans said:
maninahat said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kyman102 said:
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
Basement Cat said:

So Moviebob?

Hooper is having an affair with Chief Brody's wife, and he eventually dies in the book. Brody's eye has a habit of wandering too.

In The Godfather, the movie leaves out a ton of the book's subplots involving the minor characters. In particular, there's a whole ongoing thing about the sexual exploits of a Frank Sinatra expy, and there is another around a minor character who's vagina was ruptured by Sonny's giant bear cock.

Basically, airport fiction in the 60s and 70s was pretty trashy because and didn't have to abide by movie "morality" standards. TV shows have only just started to catch up.
I already know about the whole "Sonny had a big dick" part (it was even referenced in the actual movie), it was the Jaws thing I was asking about.