WTT: Dignity 4 Fez

Skobvs

Nov 26, 2009
So true.. Hopefully in a week or 2 once people get everything they want and the novelty of trading wears off (and dedicated trade servers pick up) then we can all go back to capping points and taking mysteriously identical briefcases from each other...

Netrosis

Jul 12, 2009
Those darn crates are like crack to me. I cannot leave them unopened, as then Obsessive Compulsive behaviours kick in. I thought then, ok I'll buy a bunch of keys so I don't have to keep buying them whenever a crate drops, and then I found I would be trading for crates all the time just to open then, a week later I have spent much more than I am ashamed to admit. Much much more than I would have paid for any game outright.

It comes only second to the amount I've spent on World of Warcraft expansions and monthly fees. Though by the amount I am spending per week on keys, the WoW addiction is cheaper, so I'm back playing WoW, go figure. I actually wish WoW would introduce more personal cosmetic changes for money.

As for trading itself, I have mostly been using TF2items to trade, but also trading a lot of stuff in-game as per requests.
I also have an unusual vintage tyrolean with flames, which looks pretty awesome.

As with TF2, whenever they introduce anything new, it gets hoarded over for a week or two until everyone has the new stuff, and then it dies down. I'd rather they keep adding fresh stuff to the game and keep it alive, rather than just let it stagnate and die.
However the game is getting to a point where adding new content is just going to over-saturate the existing content. It's nearly at that point now with the huge selection of weapons available, and hats adding to that mix.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
uppitycracker said:
This comic might actually be amusing, if it weren't so damn true...
QFT

The whole paint system's kind of fucking with the visuals too...hats were tolerable, neon-green ten gallon hats are a bloody eyesore.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
ObsessiveSketch said:
uppitycracker said:
QFT

The whole paint system's kind of fucking with the visuals too...hats were tolerable, neon-green ten gallon hats are a bloody eyesore.
While I like most of the new weapons (new spy knife is my anti-drug), though some have been nerfed into oblivion already, the hats I'm not so fond of. A quick look at the developer commentary shows how much effort valve put into ensuring the silhouettes and how each and every class is supposed to be recognisable at a glance from any distance. The hats break up those silhouettes and make the game more visually confusing. Throw in extra colours to boot and you've got a recipe for eye strain.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
Grey Carter said:
ObsessiveSketch said:
uppitycracker said:
QFT

While I like most of the new weapons (new spy knife is my anti-drug), though some have been nerfed into oblivion already, the hats I'm not so fond of. A quick look at the developer commentary shows how much effort valve put into ensuring the silhouettes and how each and every class is supposed to be recognisable at a glance from any distance. The hats break up those silhouettes and make the game more visually confusing. Throw in extra colours to boot and you've got a recipe for eye strain.
I KNOW D:
3d Digital Arts major here, and listening to the developer commentary was like watching leonardo paint. :( Some of the hats I really didn't mind, since the color palette and visual style at least tried to match each class' personality, but it seems like paintable hats just undermines the palette limitations the original community designers were given! The very best thing that can happen right now is a client-based filter, for paint-on/paint-off. But y'know what's worse? Forums are hinting at a weapon-painting system. I didn't think they could ruin all that wonderful design work in only a month, but it sure looks like it's about to come crashing down T_T

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Wang Wei said:
I don't really see the point on trading in a fps when you can just as easily kill your enemies for the stuff they have. Funny stuff, keep it going.
Because if that was possible, everyone would have every item not making them rare and cool anymore..

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Sir John the Net Knight said:
Eleima said:
Oooooh, I like this one!!! It is so true!!! I've been playing since trading was implemented because of work, and ever time I get on a server now, I feel like the chat's flooded with trade offers. Thankfully, the Escapist server is not as bad as others.
Of course it isn't. They're too busy playing grab-ass to do anything remotely productive.

One thing that should be kept in mind about Team Fortress 2. In the wake of any major update, you're going to have a majority of the populace focused on the new content. Don't worry about trading, it will die down eventually when people run out of shit to trade. And dedicated trading servers are already emerging.

Side Note: Clutch being a horrible gamer is shown here again. Sniper does not push cart.
If you look at the panel you'll see Clutch making a statement indicating he rarely pushes the cart. The idea is since every other player is busy a sniper and medic have to push the cart.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Wang Wei said:
I don't really see the point on trading in a fps when you can just as easily kill your enemies for the stuff they have. Funny stuff, keep it going.
you clearly don't have tf2. Valve cosidered people getting the items the other person has by killing them, but then whenever someone has a new, interesting weapon, they become public enemy no 1, and everyone will ignore the point of the game even more, just to chase down the lone sod

ManiacEskimo

Mar 31, 2009
Don't have this problem on the CnB servers :)

But yeah last thing I want is to deal with people like that in a game, though at least I can burn and shoot people in a game. Can't do that to Egyptian touts around the monuments. I hate those guys.

Shayral

Apr 6, 2010
Sorry for the necro, but my heart skipped a beat when I read the "may not know any girls" part. No idea anyone had even still heard of Flashlight Brown!

Song in question is ready to roll, for who's interested.