X-Men Destiny Review

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
doisn't load for like 2 minutes, WTF are you doing E-pst.
Static conversations are the worst thing next to games that don't work at all or are shit(likely to contain such)

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Youch... that game has been ripped a new hole.

But well what to expect really sometimes games are made just to be what they are boring repetitive and not even offering some nice reason behind it. This problem exists in many games .. so just another line on the chalk board here.

Now the question how to make it better, that would lead to interesting discussions. I would say begin with making every character actually interesting. Giving them actual reasons, personalities..and not thin card board personalities. Give them a target to go for..

In fallout for instance you are given a big reason. You are not just set free without a reason oh no! You are out and proud..and in need for answers. It matters to you!

Would that help this game...eh probably pushing two buttons all the time is a big drain though.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
Terra-bad. I was over at a friend's and he had rented it for the PS3. He got through maybe an hour before I heard him throw the controller down from the other room. I picked it up and started playing. It couldn't even hold my interest for 10 minutes.

AgentCooper

Dec 16, 2010
I thought the game was good but lacking severe polish. I noticed the audio would cut out during cut scenes and texture crashes.

The idea of the X-genes and the power tree had potential for depth and it seems like they gave up on that half way through.

Besides the shortcomings of X-men: Destiny, I really enjoy the combat and storyline enough to warrant a second play through from me.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
X-Men Destiny Review

Being a superhero has never been this boring.

Read Full Article
Hey Susan, I'll explain Ayumi's scarf (or turtleneck as you called it during the latest podcast :D) thing.

You see, since she's Japanese and all Japanese people are Ninjas as everybody knows, she wears this scarf as a failed attempt to look more ninja-like since yes, a long scarf being blown backwards by the wind as though it's a mantle or a cape is indeed a ninja thing in a lot of anime or other games.

Here's a few images to show you what I mean:

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
No_Remainders said:
theultimateend said:
No_Remainders said:
The game sounds like a good concept done badly.

Also, why can't we pronounce "Xavier" properly?

It's pronounced "zavier", people; not "ex-avier"
Probably because they call him "Ex-Avier" in every film and cartoon ever made.
You don't seem to realise that it's still a stupid American bastardisation of an actual name regardless.
Not realizing and not caring about a childish elitism are totally different.

Your escapades fall into the latter.

Turns out when you are trying to make a play on "X-Men" you call the guy "X-Avier". Oh lord, that was some complicated wordplay.

JoelChenFA said:
No_Remainders said:

Its X-men because he's Ex-zavier.
If it was Zavier, it would be ZavMen.
Also character created by American, Americans pronounce nothing right.

They Could Care less that is why.
Mostly because language is largely arbitrary and constantly evolving.

Reminds me of the "Pluto is still a Planet" mentality, just in this case its people bantering about linguistics.

Zach of Fables

Oct 5, 2011
I can't imagine any X-men game will ever top "X-men Legends." And yes, that includes the sequel. Why would you ever play any other X-men game when you can play as four of them at once?

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
JoelChenFA said:
No_Remainders said:

Its X-men because he's Ex-zavier.
If it was Zavier, it would be ZavMen.
Also character created by American, Americans pronounce nothing right.

They Could Care less that is why.
There was at least one version where they were called "X-Men" because of the X factor in their genes. Xavier was talking to Moira MacTaggert and she assumed he named the team after himself, and he said he hadn't even thought of that. Professor X wasn't so narcissistic. That was a '90's interpretation, though.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Poor Susan, that's the first I've ever heard you sound so utterly disappointed with a game, and you've been able to find at least a sliver of optimism in games I wouldn't touch with a lit torch.

And when that happens, when you almost break one of The Escapist's most cheerful reviewers (at least she is from my perspective), you know you've done something either really wrong and stupid, or really wrong and malicious. And you need to be stopped.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Aisaku said:
The studios behind Saints Row or Infamous could've done a much better job. Feels like Marvel-Disney values quantity over quality on their licensed videogame .
The only thing Sucker Punch could have done a much better job at is making the game suck harder. Hell, most of the things mentioned in this review also sound a lot like inFamous, with the only main difference being no genes and only one character. Beyond that, inFamous also makes playing as a dude with some form of super powers extremely boring and repetitious with completely pointless platforming elements and all the while shoving a completely stupid plot down your throat. inFamous sadly lasts more than 4 hours though. So there you go: Sucker Punch would indeed do a much better job at making a terrible super hero game, because they've already proven so. Twice, actually.

...Hang on. inFamous does actually ask you to play the game again as well. It's just a different karmic path instead of a different character. So yeah, the only real difference between the two games is that Cole doesn't go around picking up genes from other, better characters to power up his attacks. Other than that, the only thing Sucker Punch would do that Silicon Knights didn't would be to make the player's suffering last longer.

Now Volition would obviously do a great job, but why should they waste time making a licensed game when they can clearly come up with far more interesting material on their own? Just play Saints Row 2 (or wait 2 more weeks for Saints Row The Third), dress up in a superhero costume, do a bunch of side missions to unlock a lot of sweet perks, and go nuts. Tons of awesome guns with infinite ammo, the ability to fall from any height and take no damage, infinite sprint, reduced damage from everything, and more? Who needs licensed super heroes in the game to have all kinds of crazy power tripping entertainment when you have Saints Row?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
SnakeoilSage said:
Poor Susan, that's the first I've ever heard you sound so utterly disappointed with a game, and you've been able to find at least a sliver of optimism in games I wouldn't touch with a lit torch.

And when that happens, when you almost break one of The Escapist's most cheerful reviewers (at least she is from my perspective), you know you've done something either really wrong and stupid, or really wrong and malicious. And you need to be stopped.
What a lovely thing to say. <3 :)

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
What a lovely thing to say. <3 :)
The planets must have aligned, because I am in fact personally unpleasant.

I like your reviews; they're optimistic, rational, and a refreshing lack of cynicism. it wouldn't be The Escapist without you.