X-Men Destiny Review

Ponch

New member
Mar 31, 2010
289
0
0
I had really high hopes for this game, but reminds me too much of Ultimate Alliance 2.
Which I did not enjoy.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Shoggoth2588 said:
Right! This one is bad. I didn't think it would be that bad but it is what it is...It's too bad there hasn't been a third Ultimate Alliance.

Say, when it's time to review Spider-Man: Edge of Time, could there be a secondary review or, second look for that one of the 3DS version? It's been next to impossible to find images or, gameplay footage of the 3DS version of that one other than shaky-cam footage on youtube of random people playing it...2 random people as of yesterday.
You can only capture footage from a DS (or 3DS) using Nintendo's own tech, which they lend out in extremely limited numbers and actually bolt to the table in your office, I kid you not. We've been "on the list" to get one for some time, but don't hold your breath.
 

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
24,760
0
0
Susan Arendt said:
You can only capture footage from a DS (or 3DS) using Nintendo's own tech, which they lend out in extremely limited numbers and actually bolt to the table in your office, I kid you not. We've been "on the list" to get one for some time, but don't hold your breath.
Do you have to put up your firstborn as collateral, too? Perhaps sign a contract in an ancient tongue--with blood?
 

Lrbearclaw

New member
May 19, 2009
133
0
0
I rented "X-Men Destiny" last night.... exchanged it 2 hours later for "Spider-Man: Edge of Time" and was VERY happy. Kinda off...X-Men have acrap game out and Spider-Man has a great one out.

Who woulda thunk?
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Zachary Amaranth said:
Susan Arendt said:
You can only capture footage from a DS (or 3DS) using Nintendo's own tech, which they lend out in extremely limited numbers and actually bolt to the table in your office, I kid you not. We've been "on the list" to get one for some time, but don't hold your breath.
Do you have to put up your firstborn as collateral, too? Perhaps sign a contract in an ancient tongue--with blood?
I've yet to figure out the magic mojo necessary. Sacrificing goats, chickens, and interns seems to have had no effect.
 

Skeleon

New member
Nov 2, 2007
5,410
0
0
Susan Arendt said:
I've yet to figure out the magic mojo necessary. Sacrificing goats, chickens, and interns seems to have had no effect.
Well, that's your problem right there. Chickens won't work, you need black-feathered roosters.
 

Xenominim

New member
Jan 11, 2011
90
0
0
You've missed the point of the game. The X-Men have been battling tyranny for 40-50 years without earning acceptance, all while dealing with messy, confusing storylines and character arcs. Here you have a game that perfectly captures that same degree of hopelessness in its gameplay augmented by confusing design decisions meant to mimic those very same plotlines. It's a perfect thematic capsule!
 

Aura Guardian

New member
Apr 23, 2008
5,114
0
0
No_Remainders said:
The game sounds like a good concept done badly.

Also, why can't we pronounce "Xavier" properly?

It's pronounced "zavier", people; not "ex-avier"
That is how you pronounce his name.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
One of the things that got me most about this review is the incredibly weak writing that obviously drives the game. How can I know that? because the main cahracters are getting bossed around by a newbie, simply because whoever was writing this shit could think of no other way of putting the player character in a position of palpable importance. Seeing the new character written in to a story in a way that makes them more powerful than the veterans of the universe is the kind of irredeemable pothole that even fanfic writers are held to account for, simply because it's an ass-backwards way of writing a story that has the unfortunate side-effect of making dramatic tension nigh-impossible.

If you're going to pretend that you have writing ability, write the new characters into the story in a way that not only makes sense (i.e. give their lack of experience when compared to the others some kind of consequence within the plot and their interactions) but is also compelling (i.e. make sure that their interactions are not just token lines that exist for the sole purpose of advancing the plot - the lines should not feel like they're there simply because they have to be).

If you're developing a game that involves making the player character the most powerful thing around both canonically and within the actual gameplay mechanics simply because you can't figure out any other way to make the player character the driving force of a game, then you need to look for someone who can write a bloody story.

It also has the unfortunate side-effect of making the player feel as though they themselves are a Deus Ex Machina, something that doens't really occupy the traditional role of the protagonist, but something that would seem as though it had been pulled out of the writer's ass when the narrative is viewed from the perspective of another character, a mere device that exists to fullfill the need for a quick plot fix.

That's the sad, inherent contradiction in this type of weak storytelling - the only way the witers/developers can make the player feel like a driving force within the game is to make the plot revolve around them in a way that completely ruins all sense of dramatic tension, and thus makes the plot completely unworthy of attention. The only way you can redeem this in a game is with excellent atmosphere or gameplay, but thanks to Susan's review, well know how well that worked out...

Oh, good review by the way. I seldom hear this kind of entertaining criticism from other, more mainstream sources.
 

Aisaku

New member
Jul 9, 2010
445
0
0
Xenominim said:
You've missed the point of the game. The X-Men have been battling tyranny for 40-50 years without earning acceptance, all while dealing with messy, confusing storylines and character arcs. Here you have a game that perfectly captures that same degree of hopelessness in its gameplay augmented by confusing design decisions meant to mimic those very same plotlines. It's a perfect thematic capsule!
LOL


Still, sad to hear this... It could've been a great game. Maybe the publisher and or Marvel set an unrealistic timeline and even if the developers hadn't reached their goals, it was decided it was 'good enough' and shipped it?


The studios behind Saints Row or Infamous could've done a much better job. Feels like Marvel-Disney values quantity over quality on their licensed videogame .
 

ExtraDebit

New member
Jul 16, 2011
533
0
0
And to think Silicon Knights actually made legacy of kain, a game that will always have a place in my heart.

I wish they would just let us make a new character with complete customization like the sims, and let us choose the core powers and level up with a talent tree or something.

At the moment the game is just plain bad, too cartoonish, too shallow. It really made me wonder what was their target audience. There are mature guys that grew up with comic books too. Can't they make something for us? something darker, more poetic and more mature?

Movie Bob would be piss at this game.
 

bluepotatosack

New member
Mar 17, 2011
499
0
0
This is disappointing. I was actually hoping for a somewhat deep game with a branching storyline and strong RPG elements. Ah, well.
 

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
16,755
0
0
I gotta say that I love the video supplements. Often times I just watch those. If the game doesn't look even a little interesting, I won't bother actually reading the review. This is one of those times. I think we had games on the last console generation, and even the one before, that looked more engaging and polished.

Susan Arendt said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Susan Arendt said:
You can only capture footage from a DS (or 3DS) using Nintendo's own tech, which they lend out in extremely limited numbers and actually bolt to the table in your office, I kid you not. We've been "on the list" to get one for some time, but don't hold your breath.
Do you have to put up your firstborn as collateral, too? Perhaps sign a contract in an ancient tongue--with blood?
I've yet to figure out the magic mojo necessary. Sacrificing goats, chickens, and interns seems to have had no effect.
First, wow, I can't believe that Nintendo is so controlling. You have to bolt the device down? That's psycho girlfriend levels of crazy.

I do believe that you need the help of Billy Witchdoctor. Just don't let him summon Mega Ultra Chicken. That would be a heck of a mess.
 

Unhappy Crow

New member
Mar 14, 2010
659
0
0
My first guess was a star and a half, and I was right. After all that anticipation many months ago, I was hoping this game would fun. That is until every reviewer I've seen so far stated that this game is a big fat lie.

What the hell, Activision and Silicon Knights? Why must you make this game so bad? Especially for $59.99, I would feel ripped off and would want to play X-Men Origins: Wolverine again. At least I had fun slicing enemies as Wolverine.
 

Adam Goetz

New member
Oct 8, 2011
20
0
0
Aisaku said:
Xenominim said:
You've missed the point of the game. The X-Men have been battling tyranny for 40-50 years without earning acceptance, all while dealing with messy, confusing storylines and character arcs. Here you have a game that perfectly captures that same degree of hopelessness in its gameplay augmented by confusing design decisions meant to mimic those very same plotlines. It's a perfect thematic capsule!
LOL


Still, sad to hear this... It could've been a great game. Maybe the publisher and or Marvel set an unrealistic timeline and even if the developers hadn't reached their goals, it was decided it was 'good enough' and shipped it?


The studios behind Saints Row or Infamous could've done a much better job. Feels like Marvel-Disney values quantity over quality on their licensed videogame .
I think it is more about the time than anything, but not the dev team. I think the thought was "Hey X-men are getting another movie next summer so here is your timeline it must be out by then."
The team has done good work, it is just that when you put things on a timeline they kinda die bit by bit.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Yeah I think I figured out what the reviewer's problem is with the idiotic plot here. It's a freaking Mary Sue fan fiction made into a freaking video game. Only without the author self insert sexing up their favorite established character.
 

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
3,560
0
0
Oh... my... God... seriously?, this... thing is developed by Silicon Knights?, the Silicon Kgnights that made one of my favorite games of last gen, being Eternal Darkness and also the amazing remake of Metal Gear: The Twin Snakes?. That Silicon Knights?.

I think I just died a little inside...
 

theultimateend

New member
Nov 1, 2007
3,621
0
0
No_Remainders said:
The game sounds like a good concept done badly.

Also, why can't we pronounce "Xavier" properly?

It's pronounced "zavier", people; not "ex-avier"
Probably because they call him "Ex-Avier" in every film and cartoon ever made.