XBL Indie Dev Clones Minecraft With FortressCraft

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
manythings said:
BrokenBoySoldier said:
Can anyone say breach of copyright?
Can you copyright things people do in the real world? It's not like he invented blocks or block based gaming and, like the article said, Infiniminer inspired minecraft.
Meh when brief itself includes the words "Clones minecraft" there's definately theft of intellectual property, but whether its a matter of copyright I have no idea

Meatman

Oct 28, 2009
The only thing stopping me playing minecraft is that my comp sucks. So this is a good way to get more people playing it.

There seem to be 2 types of responses so far. Half of you are saying "OMG EVIL MICROSOFT SUE THEM!"
Or saying this is a good idea.

Meh.

B-lockdown080

Nov 5, 2008
Blah controller. I think a mouse and keyboard are the only things suited for this kinda game play without fustration

SonicKaos

Jan 21, 2011
This disappoints me. I don't think I'll be supporting it since anything they do will be modded into MC on the PC anyway... plus I actually like the poor graphics more then these ones. I also hate rip-offs cashing in on other people's success.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
RSGstyle said:
Armored Prayer said:
Well they say imitation is a form a flattery, but I'd rather have the original rather than a clone.

Also Minecraft for the iPhone? Interesting but I'm still not ever touching the game.
Is that because you don't own an iPhone or you sense an actual fault with a port/remake created for the iPhone?
Neither it just because I have no interest with the game and I'm kind of sick of hearing everyone praising and recommending me it.

I have nothing against the game, but everyone needs to take a down a notch or at least stop bothering me about it.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
I feel urgh! It's far TOO similar to be able to be judged independently. They even had the same bookcases for some reason!

Comando96 said:
Microsoft are such bastards and are of course immune to all law suits.
This isn't Microsoft, this is an indie gamemaker. Indie games on XBLA arn't even reviewed by Microsoft but by players. Hopefully if people complain/Mojang complains it will be taken down - as games can be removed.

But yeah, keep blaming Microsoft if it makes you feel big "sticking it to the man".

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
In the state that video portrays it ... its an outright rip off. It will probably become a big lawsuit.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Wow, the creators of this game must have no shame. It's a clone indeed.

Also...I hate it when videos have intense music when what is being shown very much not intense.

Scrumpys

Feb 4, 2010
This makes me mad, people shouldnt get away with things like this.
Minecraft is for the PC and xbox live people can get a damn computer and play it on that

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
To people saying this is a good way for Xbox people to get their hands on minecraft, ask yourselves why games like WoW and StarCraft FAIL in consoles...and you find your answer. Minecraft is all about the mouse n keyboard, and the personalization.

To others saying one should be praised a work of art is being copied....read that sentence. Carefully.

And to those raging, well, its not the first game to spawn cheap imitations. In fact this isnt even the first game to clone minecraft. Google Cubelands. So dun worry bout it.

Jul 22, 2009
Jack Macaque said:
Typical Micrsoft XBL.
Xbox Live Indie Games = Not a lot to do with Microsoft

OT: I think this is pretty good, I know Xbox owners with PCs made of toilet paper and blu tac who would love to play Minecraft but can't.

If it does overstep the line then it can easily be shut down with a cease and desist.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Kayar13 said:
Oh, come on Goldman. Minecraft fans should look FORWARD to someone ripping off the game we already love? They're just jumping on the Minecraft bandwagon for the money. I suppose you'd support Microsoft making a game titled "Legend of Belda" in which a pointy-eared kid in a green tunic slew a pig and saved a princess and found four golden glowing squares of power too, right? This greed in the industry is exactly what we should be ignoring and not buying into. Indie developers should focus on making new, creative, innovative game experiences like Notch already did with Minecraft, not blatantly copying each other for profit.
Erm... Microsoft have nothing to do with this... Its being released on the indy market and I imagine it will be for about 240-400mp at the most, hardly there for profit.

Anyway, given that my computer cannot run Minecraft, I'm sort of happy that someone has made a version for the xbox.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Nooooo!! Now the console tards will be able to enjoy something that only the PC Gaming Elite should enjoy.
-_-

Personally, I think this is a good thing. I still maintain that Mojang should have ported Minecraft to consoles, but they didn't. They dropped the ball on this, and someone picked it up.
I look forward to being able to play with a controller and a decent framerate and draw-distance.

Edit: The graphics look great as well. Pickaxe design is terrible, though.

I really wish Mojang had done this. I'd hate to see them losing such a huge market.

Nero Haven

Jan 14, 2011
There are already rip-offs of minecraft - actually, from the looks of it, more of a rip than this, and they're for the PC. I'm going to reserve judgement on this, since it's never a good idea to assume so much from such a short trailer. Notch won't be suing them, though, since he's already expressed his annoyance at one of the PC rip-offs, but hasn't shown any interest in putting a stop to it.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Well it looks good, especially the water. But it also looks like they didn't just take the idea or essence of Minecraft but literally stole most of the elements directly. I feel like this is IP infringement. Although of course I can't tell from that trailer, maybe they added a whole lot of stuff to make it a different game altogether...?

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Pugiron said:
Hey, wanna buy a bridge? Microsoft is behind this Indie developer like Iran is behind Hamas.
Really, do you have proof or are you just speculating?

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
similar.squirrel said:
Nooooo!! Now the console tards will be able to enjoy something that only the PC Gaming Elite should enjoy.
-_-

Personally, I think this is a good thing. I still maintain that Mojang should have ported Minecraft to consoles, but they didn't. They dropped the ball on this, and someone picked it up.
I look forward to being able to play with a controller and a decent framerate and draw-distance.

Edit: The graphics look great as well. Pickaxe design is terrible, though.

I really wish Mojang had done this. I'd hate to see them losing such a huge market.
But Minecraft is coming to iPhones (and maybe Android phones I don't know). I think the problem with porting to consoles is that it's all written in Java. I may be wrong and it doesn't actually matter, but yeah. Plus, MC is still in beta. Perhaps when it hits release it'll be multiplatform, or sometime thereafter.