Xbone Week #3

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Geo Da Sponge said:
I'm sorry, but it's a pretty weak joke when the game already beat you to it.

"I thought I'd shoot my way out. Mix things up a little."
-Master Chief
Yeah, but... TV show...

I'm kind of afraid that Critical Miss is dead on.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Well, I don't play Halo so I might as well be wrong, so I am ready to take constructive criticism to my opinion...

But to me it's like, every week there's someone on the Escapist (usually Yahtzee, but results may vary) taking a piss on Mario for not being innovative (even though Galaxy, NSMB and 3D Land were very different games, and all of them fun to some extent)... On the other hand, when someone says "well, Halo has been about shooting aliens since forever", Microsoft had been milking it, and that it's premise is questionable to a TV series, it hits too close to home for some fans.

Metal Gear Solid is my favorite series but it has too many cutscenes, Kojima isn't a good writer (even though he had his moments), and the plot gets batshit insane more often than not.
I can acknowledge that, have fun joking about it, and still like it a lot. This things aren't mutually exclusive.
I love the original Star Wars, but I have to admit that the aliens in Mos Eisleis are visibly made of cheap rubber, the lightsaber duel is horrible (Obi-Wan and Vader just clash the sabers over and over without any atempt to attack or defend) and the plot has holes bigger than the tiny exhaust port of the Death Star.

Things work for different reasons and its flaws makes them special.

So, yeah, I thought the strip was funny (I personally would have swapped the third and first panels, since I thought it would be funny if the number of aliens were getting smaller), and I don't think it was just a cheap shot.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
You know, an entire show devoted to Master Chief shooting a bunch of aliens would't be all that bad, as long as he did some cool parcour jumps. And maybe set up elaborate Rube Goldbergs. And played Jenga. Man, I miss Halo 3.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Kind of hard to get the joke when all the other non-game Halo media is pretty good.

Besides, a show solely based on Chief shooting Grunts in the face wouldn't be that bad...

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
Is this thread really just nothing but snarky comments about a Halo TV series? C'mon, try to have an actual discussion atleast.

OT: I'm going to give it a chance, the thing is produced by Steven Spielberg (the same guy who produced Freakazoid, Pinky &the Brain, and The Animainiacs). Spielberg doesn't do stuff unless he finds something good about it. I think it might be fun to watch, I'm going to give it a chance.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
Big_Boss_Mantis said:
On the other hand, when someone says "well, Halo has been about shooting aliens since forever", Microsoft had been milking it, and that it's premise is questionable to a TV series, it hits too close to home for some fans.
The Halo franchise actually has a remarkably rich backstory and universe. Say what you will about how bland and/or freaking awesome the games are (personally, I love them, but that's me) but devoid of lore and potential for a TV show exploration it is not.

I get the joke here, it's funny, but my problem stems from the fact that a lot of people here are taking this at face value. Obviously, Halo fans and the strip writers get that Halo is actually perfectly suited for a TV show, but there are people who don't understand that and they'll swoop in here to rag on the idea with absolutely no clue what they're talking about.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Eh, it could be good. The joke made me laugh though.

thaluikhain said:
Hmmm...soft target there. Not that you shouldn't make fun of Halo, but not really a masterful joke this time.

Please tell me that this was intentional.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
UrinalDook said:
Sometimes, Grey, I have to wonder if you actually know your audience at all. I know that the Escapist likes to pride itself as something of a hangout for more 'high brow' gamers, but I'm sure there's still a lot of posters and visitors here who, like me, are big fans of Halo, for it's setting and universe as much as its solid gameplay.

I was fully expecting the Forward Unto Dawn web mini series to be crap, but found myself enjoying it quite a bit. Because of that, and the Neil Blomkamp directed shorts advertising Halo 3, the Halo TV series was pretty much the only thing in the Xbone reveal that caught my attention. I know I'm not alone. Done right, there's a lot of potential in it. And with no Star Trek, BSG, SG-1, Firefly or Farscape anymore and none of these rumoured Star Wars shows materialising any time soon, aren't we kind of crying out for a new action-y sci-fi show on TV?

Don't get me wrong, I love Critcal Miss and this still got a laugh out of me. Kind of felt like a bit of a cheap laugh, though. Taking the mick out of Halo feels a little harsh when there's so much juicer material in the Xbone's reveal.
Gotta agree here. There is a METRIC TON of stuff to put into a TV series for Halo, but I don't see them putting it in the direction that I'd like. You are absolutely correct that it has potential, that is more than I can say for a lot of stuff out there right now. Personally, my favorite character in the entire Halo franchise/mythology is first introduced in Halo 3. But only in the terminals, and he is hidden in them as well, only if you read closely and finish the game on legendary does he actually speak directly to you. He's in some books as well, the new Forerunner Saga. I'm talking about 05-032 Mendicant Bias, the Judas Forerunner AI. But I seriously, seriously doubt he'll be in the TV show. We're probably going to get ODST's and spartans fighting the covenant again, or spartans fighting insurrectionists.

Yeah, yeah... faceless super soldier with no personality, I agree to an extent. But we've had the opposite haven't we? (Commander Shephard???)

The xbone reveal was TV, TV, TV, SPORTS, SPORTS, COD, SPORTS, TV I don't give a crap about any of that, but the TV show is based on a videogame franchise I love. So that's something, right? eh don't answer that -_-

Triality

May 9, 2011
Thanks for adding fuel to the flame wars CritMiss dudes. We need to keep this anger boiling if Microsoft is ever going to breach birth its petrified head out of its own ass (Please don't try to read too deeply into my last sentence, because I'm not).

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Actually, your vision would at least be DIFFERENT and, well... Halo related.
I'm afraid it's gonna be a typical SyFy crappy soft science show that's indistinguishable from their other shows.

With lots of "character development" soap series moments and hardly any action.
Because that action would be expensive, so it's gonna be the first thing they will budget cut when it's not a huge initial hit with viewers (hint; it won't live up to the current INSANE level of expectations AAA-devs seem to have for their IPs!).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Man, I can't wait until the season finale of Halo, where some guy shoots some guys in the face.

It's going to be awesome.
And there will be much teabagging that night.

All captured on millions of Kinect 2.0s.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Xbox One
You like dags?

Also TV, tv, tv, tv ,tv ,tv ,tv, watercooler, tv ,tv ,tv sports, spawts, tv, tv, call of dooty, tv, tv, xbox go home

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Drago-Morph said:
I get the joke here, it's funny, but my problem stems from the fact that a lot of people here are taking this at face value. Obviously, Halo fans and the strip writers get that Halo is actually perfectly suited for a TV show, but there are people who don't understand that and they'll swoop in here to rag on the idea with absolutely no clue what they're talking about.
Okay! Sounds legit, space ranger!

I basically never play first-person shooters at all (no COD, no Killzone, no Metroid Prime, no Battlefield, I had a blast with Battlefront but I prefer it in 3rd person), so Halo didn't catch my interest, personally.
I played a little of Halo Reach on a friends house once. I really like prequels and I enjoyed the freedom it gave in choosing the routes and ways to complete the missions. (what he explained that is an staple for the series)
Still, I hate Microsoft with a passion (not just Xbox... I hate windows, I hate the damn Internet Explorer that I am forced to use at work, I hate windows Media Player, and I wept tears of joy when MSN Messenger died) and don't enjoy FPS's particularly, so I gave it a miss...

Indeed, seems you are right about the lore, judging by what I heard about it. I don't think I would like it (I personally like my lores with some silliness in it, like superpowers or space magic). Still, the comic exaggeration of the strip may be a little misleading.
But hopefully, most of this site's public knows that it is, in fact, comic exaggeration!

Captcha: falling pianos. That was a pretty good example of comic exaggeration, captcha! Ten points to Griffindor!

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
UrinalDook said:
And with no Star Trek, BSG, SG-1, Firefly or Farscape anymore and none of these rumoured Star Wars shows materialising any time soon, aren't we kind of crying out for a new action-y sci-fi show on TV?
This is the main thing, minus calling Star Trek action-y sci-fi. I mean it occasionally /has/ action, but not in the way the other shows do.

Anyway, I've practically been praying to the Great Bird of the Galaxy[footnote]That's Gene Roddenberry, Star Trek joke[/footnote] for the last few years for /some/ sort of new TV sci-fi show that wasn't based on modern day Earth and/or produced by the BBC. I mean, I'd take something with the quality of Andromeda at this point, so a Halo show probably would scratch that itch, and I'm not even into the series. Defiance is a step in the right direction, but it's not all the way there.

By the way, it hasn't been officially stated, but if you look at the premise of the cartoon that's replacing The Clone Wars, It looks like that live action Star Wars show got turned into a kids cartoon, unfortunately.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Bindal said:
So far we had Halo books, a anime-shortmovies-collection (Halo Legends), a short Halo live-action internet-series for Halo 4 and "Red VS Blue" just announced their 11th Season (granted, RvB is not canon for Halo, but still worth mentioning in this case)
Is a full Live-Action TV-Show really that far of a stretch? Don't think so.
Don't forget the HALO Graphic Novels from Marvel, that tie in to HALO 3. This HALO TV show could be interesting if they can make Master Chief more interesting, or get main characters more compelling than him, and do more than just shoot things and really open up the universe.

Lattyware

Jun 15, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Wait... they're doing a Halo TV show? Ooooookaaay.
Did you see Forward Unto Dawn? If not, check it out, really well done.

The Halo universe is almost as good as the Mass Effect one - most people don't realise that because the games are not designed to showcase it as much as in ME.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
I heard that there's one Spartan in the books that is so injured, he'd die without his suit. That sounds interesting, I hope they include him.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Lattyware said:
canadamus_prime said:
Wait... they're doing a Halo TV show? Ooooookaaay.
Did you see Forward Unto Dawn? If not, check it out, really well done.

The Halo universe is almost as good as the Mass Effect one - most people don't realise that because the games are not designed to showcase it as much as in ME.
No I didn't seen Forward Unto Dawn. However I'm still not sold on the concept because I don't even think Mass Effect lends itself well to a TV show format.