Xbone Week #3

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
I'm sorry, but it's a pretty weak joke when the game already beat you to it.

"I thought I'd shoot my way out. Mix things up a little."
-Master Chief
Yeah, but... TV show...

I'm kind of afraid that Critical Miss is dead on.
Provided they get the right team then no, he wont be.

Ignoring the fact that the comic is a joke Halo has a lot more too it than "shoot teh aliens" especially in the extended universe (Which, unlike Lucas, Bungie/343 actually pay attention to).

OT: Meh, low hanging fruit.

I'm honestly excited for the show, Forward Unto Dawn showed that you don't need Chief around 24/7 for something Halo to work out well.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Daaaah Whoosh said:
You know, an entire show devoted to Master Chief shooting a bunch of aliens would't be all that bad, as long as he did some cool parcour jumps. And maybe set up elaborate Rube Goldbergs. And played Jenga. Man, I miss Halo 3.
You and me both. That game was terrific, and it was more than some people give it credit for. these new ones, they're changing for the worse by trying to chase a market that is bored of the changes they make to try and win them back. It is depressing.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Andy Shandy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Man, I can't wait until the season finale of Halo, where some guy shoots some guys in the face.

It's going to be awesome.
Until...

[HEADING=1]SHOCKING PLOT TWIST[/HEADING]

They're not shooting. They're stabbing them with the sword instead!
But it isn't all

[HEADING=2]YET ANOTHER PLOT TWIST[/HEADING]

It turns out the sword is actually a key...

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
This is the best use of a bad Dragonball Z joke/meme I've seen in years.

blackrave said:
Andy Shandy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Man, I can't wait until the season finale of Halo, where some guy shoots some guys in the face.

Until...

But it isn't all

No, Memory is the key. *spoilers* Cortana doesn't have enough and needs a RAM upgrade to survive. *spoilers*

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
To be fair the Halo books and Forward Unto Dawn movie were (overall) pretty good and not just constant shooting.

That said it was just sad and embarrassing that MS's Halo announcement for their big console reveal was...for a Halo TV series. On top of that they didn't even show anything from it, just that they paid Spielberg enough cash to get him to attach his name to it. Whooopdee-shit.

Oh and Mr. Spielberg, you are not a gamer! You're not fooling anyone or going to look cool with the kids because you played Pong once.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
2xDouble said:

blackrave said:
Andy Shandy said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Until...

But it isn't all

No, Memory is the key. *spoilers* Cortana doesn't have enough and needs a RAM upgrade to survive. *spoilers*
Stop spoiling things dammit
In the process of upgrading Cortana's RAM from 512Mb to 8Gb, MC&friends find out that Cortana is based on MC's memories of his mom, and that makes things a biiiiiiiit uncomfortable for everyone involved (including enemies)

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
blackrave said:
2xDouble said:
*spoilers* Cortana doesn't have enough and needs a RAM upgrade to survive. *spoilers*
In the process of upgrading Cortana's RAM from 512Mb to 8Gb, MC&friends find out that Cortana is based on MC's memories of his mom, and that makes things a biiiiiiiit uncomfortable for everyone involved (including enemies)
Well, that's only really spoilers for the Season 2 opener... what with the cliffhanger at the end of the first season.

Captcha: See You Tomorrow. Indeed, Captcha, let the third season begin!

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Until...

*GASP!* *audible shock!*

OP: Next week, on Halo... The Flood returns, and Chief shoots at them!

"Chief, get outta there before you get consumed like you didn't every other time I thought you would but might this time because TENSION!"

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Obviously haven't read the books.
It's not just the books, there's so much extended cannon to work with. Having said that a show about master chief would be dull and ill-advised.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
Oskuro said:
Hmmm, that last panel reminds me of something....

Is gaming coming full circle?

(That's all the relevance I could muster out of an Xbone related topic....)
indeed i'm having a bit of deja vu here
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a3/Halo_The_Flood_by_William_C_Dietz_novel_cover.jpg/200px-Halo_The_Flood_by_William_C_Dietz_novel_cover.jpg

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
blackrave said:
2xDouble said:

blackrave said:
Andy Shandy said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Until...

But it isn't all

Ummm, you know whats sad? We actually know who Cortana is based on. In one of the books (Its actually a great book) we see that she is based on....
Dr. Catherine Elizabeth Halsey, who was a scientist on the original SPARTAN program, who got really close to John. (FYI, she is an adult when they pick John up as a child, so its not sexual).

So yeah, just thought I would put that out there to be a killjoy.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Lattyware said:
canadamus_prime said:
Wait... they're doing a Halo TV show? Ooooookaaay.
Did you see Forward Unto Dawn? If not, check it out, really well done.

The Halo universe is almost as good as the Mass Effect one - most people don't realise that because the games are not designed to showcase it as much as in ME.
No I didn't seen Forward Unto Dawn. However I'm still not sold on the concept because I don't even think Mass Effect lends itself well to a TV show format.
If you haven't seen FUD, or read the books then you really can't say your not sold on the concept if you haven't even looked at what could be...

Holythirteen

Mar 1, 2013
Grey Carter said:
I would laugh at the concept of a Halo TV show, but that trailer was pretty much the closest thing to an actual videogame in Microsoft's whole presentation.
For those of us who have already cancelled their Xbox live accounts that just makes it funnier!

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:

Oooh watcha saaaay? Oh, that you only meant weeeell, well of course you did. Oooh watcha saaaay? That it's all for the best? Well of course it is-

Seriously though, it depresses me when satire and the news become indistinguishable. It's like The Onion, but in comic form.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
UrinalDook said:
Sometimes, Grey, I have to wonder if you actually know your audience at all. I know that the Escapist likes to pride itself as something of a hangout for more 'high brow' gamers, but I'm sure there's still a lot of posters and visitors here who, like me, are big fans of Halo, for it's setting and universe as much as its solid gameplay.

I was fully expecting the Forward Unto Dawn web mini series to be crap, but found myself enjoying it quite a bit. Because of that, and the Neil Blomkamp directed shorts advertising Halo 3, the Halo TV series was pretty much the only thing in the Xbone reveal that caught my attention. I know I'm not alone. Done right, there's a lot of potential in it. And with no Star Trek, BSG, SG-1, Firefly or Farscape anymore and none of these rumoured Star Wars shows materialising any time soon, aren't we kind of crying out for a new action-y sci-fi show on TV?

Don't get me wrong, I love Critcal Miss and this still got a laugh out of me. Kind of felt like a bit of a cheap laugh, though. Taking the mick out of Halo feels a little harsh when there's so much juicer material in the Xbone's reveal.
keeping in mind that this is a third in the series of things about the xbone

the ride doesn't end

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Ronack said:
YOU LIE. Wasn't there also a fishing game? I seem to recall there being a fishing game with spectacular A.I. ...
Was that the one with "great innovative character customisation"?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Korten12 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Lattyware said:
canadamus_prime said:
Wait... they're doing a Halo TV show? Ooooookaaay.
Did you see Forward Unto Dawn? If not, check it out, really well done.

The Halo universe is almost as good as the Mass Effect one - most people don't realise that because the games are not designed to showcase it as much as in ME.
No I didn't seen Forward Unto Dawn. However I'm still not sold on the concept because I don't even think Mass Effect lends itself well to a TV show format.
If you haven't seen FUD, or read the books then you really can't say your not sold on the concept if you haven't even looked at what could be...
Did you not read what I said? Lattyware said that the Halo Universe was almost as good as the Mass Effect Universe and I said that that didn't sell it to me because I don't even think that Mass Effect lends itself to a TV show format.