Xbox 360 Has Ten-Year Life Cycle Too

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
It may have a 10 year life but I can see the last 3 at least being along side a new console, I feel the same about the PS3 as well, both consoles will look dated around 2015 no matter how good their hardware is.

Who ever releases a new console will completely out shine the existing as no 10 year old hardware can compete with new no matter how good it was at release.

So I would expect to see the big 3 (maybe only MS and Sony as I feel Nintendo may go the way of Sega) releasing new consoles around the same time(Christmas 2012?), in fact I would be surprised if Sony didn’t release first considering how far behind it was in sales because of Microsoft’s head start.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Onmi said:
Abedeus said:
nilcypher said:
Mazty said:
Somehow I'm sceptical of this, as by 2015, the tech in it will be horrifically dated, not to mention the repair costs will keep on increasing. Personally, I see it coming to a close near the end of 2010, and Natal coming out with a new xbox.
Old tech hasn't stopped people releasing games for the PS2.
Yeah, but PS3's main point of sell is graphics. In 5 years, PCs will be strong enough to emulate PS3 without much trouble. Hell, in two years we will have much better graphics AND fluid gameplay.
Right.

And how far along is the PS3 emulator?

That's what I thought.
PS2 emulator already exists. PS3 emulator? I guess that as soon as i7 becomes the new standard. Maybe his successor, but it won't take much time.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
I'm very very happy to hear this news. I've been saying for a while that the next consoles shouldn't be released until 2013.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Too bad each individual system doesn't have that life cycle.
Badum tish. As much as I love the system, it dies often enough that I own two of them.

Not that that stopped them both from dying at the same time once.

invorta

Mar 4, 2009
I love how it's "removing barriers" but using motion control is in fact a barrier for people that are unable to move most of their body but ARE able to use a control - as it requires minimal movement. Just a thought.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
EMFCRACKSHOT said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Too bad each individual system doesn't have that life cycle.
oooooh burn
Not just oooburn, this is why I didn't get a 360. Sure the games might come out for 10+ years but I don't see any 360s going that long without a rrod.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Hopefully by then they can fix all the problems at least 99%. I mean c'mon! It's been 4 years and you're still getting errors at a pretty bad rate...

tenlong

Apr 26, 2009
That is good to hear. I hope there is no new consoles till at least 2011. They need to let the game library build up some good games. Devs start maxing out what a system can do around 5 or so years. Plus a lot of quality games come out around that time.

skcseth

May 25, 2009
thank god i won't have to buy another $500 console anytime soon (here's hoping for no red rings of death though)

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Mazty said:
FloodOne said:
Onmi said:
Abedeus said:
Yeah, but PS3's main point of sell is graphics. In 5 years, PCs will be strong enough to emulate PS3 without much trouble. Hell, in two years we will have much better graphics AND fluid gameplay.
Right.

And how far along is the PS3 emulator?

That's what I thought.
Pffft, you need a top end computer just to emulate ps2 hardware.

A PC that emulates the 360 and ps3 may be two years off, but will cost about a thousand dollars to get running. Why not buy a 360 and ps3 for $600, and have $400 left for games and controllers?
Just for reference, my friend is only now able to emulate PS2 games with a good FPS, and he has a quadcore and 8gb of RAM.
The reason is cause of the PS2 hardware(mainly the processor) is very different from PC hardware.

Same will happen to the PS3. PC hardware can match the PS3 hardware. But can it run PS3 games perfectly? Not for a long time, cause PS3 games are built on a hardware that doesn't exist for PC.

Drakulla

May 19, 2009
If you add 10 years to each console you get after it red rings, you'll have an X-Box 360 forever.

klarr

Mar 9, 2009
xitel said:
From IRC:

Sony's response: "Oh yeah? Well the PS3 has an 11 year life cycle now. So hah"
Microsoft's counter-response: "Sony won't stop coming over to our side!"
Sony's response: "I'm not touching youuuuuuu"
Nintendo's response: "If you two don't settle down I am turning this console war around."
wow you actualy made me laugh. no realy that was very creative.
but there is no way the 360 or ps3 will last that long.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
fenrizz said:
I think that is the biggest reason console gameing is becoming more popular than PC gaming.
10 years is a good life span, because then you won't have to worry about spending a small fortune on upgrades every 2 years.
Console gaming is getting less popular add the 3 current together and they still don't make the total sales of the PS1 or PS2
In the time the PS3 has been on the market the PS2 has sold more than double in its day.

Emulators are incredibly hard to make on x86 CPU's if however PC's used RISC processors it would be much easier plus emulators are fan projects who have to reverse engineer the system as the specifications are not available.
Few people know exatly how the PS3 works and they certainly won't be making emulators it's not just a question of hardware power that makes emulation difficult you also have an operating system to deal with.
Even Gameboy emulators were not as perfect as todays and it wasn't more powerfull hardware that made them better, just a better understanding of the system, sure hardware helped but it doesn't remove the pure coding difficulties of replicating a system when you don't even fully understand how the system works when you start.

Besides why emulate when the games are all multiplatform anyway