Xbox Co-Creator Says Consoles Have Won

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
teqrevisited said:
"The victory of games is utterly complete with Apple. It's a total victory,"

This is comedy gold right here.
I didn't think about that. Someone under Microsoft has praised Apple and said that with the success of their product, it is a win for all?

*looks outside*
hmmm... The sky isn't on fire...

I guess the signs were wrong...

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
ecoho said:
TimeLord said:
Wait... what?

I'm confused and afraid on so many levels. But not surprised since these words came from a console creator!

How can you say consoles have "won" when those things like Steam go from strength to strength all the time. I'm not saying PC gaming has won, but consoles definitely haven't either!
i think he was just stating that consoles are everywhere now and that mobile devices are consoles at this point. also he ,nor anyone ive read about recently, didnt say pc gaming was dead but if when by numbers yeah consoles win, by a fucking landslide.
What source are you using for those numbers? I'd hazard a stab that PC's outnumber consoles.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
So console's future is in doubt due to the explosion of gaming on other devices. But it is OK as those other devices are consoles? If that is true then actually since consoles became computers some time ago, as they are not just for playing games any more, then in fact computers won.

Yeah I know, but it is as good a point as this guy is making... Face it, consoles may not be the place where the majority of people game in the future, deal with it guy. But that does not mean consoles will die; they will just become niche, like the PC, as far as gaming share.

Can't wait to hear console owners bitching because the latest COD's controls have been simplified so they work well on touch screens....

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Gaming is everywhere definitely, but the fact that people use these things to play games does not make them consoles, you idiot. Seriously, the people a microsoft make me ashamed that my only 7th gen console is a 360 and I can't afford a ps3.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Uh..... last time I checked things like iPads and whatever were called 'tablets' not consoles.
Console! You know your calculator? Yeah, console also, for the more sophisticated nerds.

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
This guy is just an idiot, how did this article make the front page fo the escapist? It says "consols arent dying, they've won!" about 5 times and then offers no coherant explanation apart from the ravings of a mad man.

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
The Virgo said:
*Checks current online Steam users. Sees the number "3,142,586"*

Oh yeah, consoles and their innumerable COD, Halo and Gears of War have won alright ... *rolls eyes*
Yeah but steam is a consol now.

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
kebab4you said:
canadamus_prime said:
Uh..... last time I checked things like iPads and whatever were called 'tablets' not consoles.
Console! You know your calculator? Yeah, console also, for the more sophisticated nerds.
Nerds can play games, they are consols now too!

Mikko Laurinen

Jun 16, 2011
To all who think this is about PC vs Console: IT IS NOT. It's about consoles, devices meant for gaming, battling redundancy. What he's saying is that rather than gaming being some fad that's going to go away it has become more relevant than ever and even companies that aren't interested in producing what we perceive as a console have to include the capacity to play games for their product to be competitive. Now, whether the relevancy of gaming and that of the traditional consoles, plugged to a TV or portable, go hand in hand is IMO very much questionable BECAUSE of the very argument he made. The words he says and the point he's trying to get to with them don't seem to quite perfectly align. lol

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I've never really noticed how every high-tech electronic device is programmed to play games. Even the old phone I had over a year ago could play Tetris.

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
Everything's a console, so consoles have won.

Unfortunately that has nothing to do with REAL consoles which are about to launch off a cliff into a lake full of lava because of things like kinect and this kind of attitude. They wont have the tech to compete with PC (thermodynamics, if you dispute this statement, it's off to google you go to read up on modern graphics cards) and wont have the simplicity to compete with these new 'consoles' that run on common devices. That would explain why a new generation has been so slow in appearing.

Consoles are soon to be dead, slain by these 'consoles'.

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
Yeah, and Italy won WWII. Or hey, the South won the Civil War since they are Americans just like Northerners. Similar logic.

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
ecoho said:
TimeLord said:
Wait... what?

I'm confused and afraid on so many levels. But not surprised since these words came from a console creator!

How can you say consoles have "won" when those things like Steam go from strength to strength all the time. I'm not saying PC gaming has won, but consoles definitely haven't either!
i think he was just stating that consoles are everywhere now and that mobile devices are consoles at this point. also he ,nor anyone ive read about recently, didnt say pc gaming was dead but if when by numbers yeah consoles win, by a fucking landslide.
I think it could also be stated that PC gaming is on a console - A computer built specifically to play games. (since a lot of PC's have 'gamer processors and stuff' so they can play games better, or are purpose built by the owners.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
Xzi said:
"PC-developed and PC-run gaming platforms are consoles."

http://www.gusto-graphics.com/updates/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/SENSE__This_picture_makes_none_by_Mathan552.jpg

By his logic we can just loop things back around and say that consoles are just a type of PC with inferior hardware standards. So...PC wins?
Well since PS3s and 360s are pretty much multimedia devices that have the main point of playing games, I'm pretty sure that is already the case. It's just that most people won't admit it.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Someone at Sony will say the PS3 won. Someone at Microsoft will say the Xbox 360 won. Someone at Nintendo will say that Wii won. And a gaming PC manufacturer will say PCs have won.

People need to stfu about 'console wars'. The console war was just a marketing trick by Sega to get people to think they were under attack by Nintendo (and vice versa)

MrCollins

Power Vacuumer
Jun 28, 2010
Really someone who built a console thinks that consoles are better?
You don't say....
Sigh.... Will this never end
Apples and oranges people

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Well reasoned, if a bit of an exercise in futility. If you look at it that way, yes consoles have "won" but that doesn't address the likelihood that there will be no dedicated consoles in a decade. Personally, I think consoles will never die, I game exclusively on my 360, and that won't ever change, unless they come out with a console that has really good exclusives.