Xbox Co-Creator Says Consoles Have Won

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
And as usual, everyone here totally glosses over the rabid success of gaming on iOS. This community is set in it's ways like an old timer shaking the cane at them darn kids.

You?re living with tools from the past and trying to create the future with them ? but you can?t.

Redratson

Jun 23, 2009
uppitycracker said:
By god, by this logic, even PC's are consoles!!! ALL HAIL THE CONSOLE MASTER RACE AS I POST ABOUT CONSOLES FROM MY CONSOLE!!!
*Raises a flag with a mouse and keyboard crossing* LONG LIVE THE PC! VIVA LA RESISTANCE!!!

OT: lollolol, wait wat? I ddint know you can win by saying u have won? My My what else do I not know? X)

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Wow, I was expecting a big PC vs. Console flamewar from this thread. For once, I was pleasantly surprised. Everyone is united by this guys stupidity. :D

This guys definition of console... is a bit sketchy.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
TimeLord said:
ecoho said:
TimeLord said:
Wait... what?

I'm confused and afraid on so many levels. But not surprised since these words came from a console creator!

How can you say consoles have "won" when those things like Steam go from strength to strength all the time. I'm not saying PC gaming has won, but consoles definitely haven't either!
i think he was just stating that consoles are everywhere now and that mobile devices are consoles at this point. also he ,nor anyone ive read about recently, didnt say pc gaming was dead but if when by numbers yeah consoles win, by a fucking landslide.
What source are you using for those numbers? I'd hazard a stab that PC's outnumber consoles.
many people have Pcs but the nubers of those that are used for gaming is less then a third of those and as to were i get those numbers try using google its kinda hard to miss the numbers also if thats not enough then explain why its more profitable to make games for a console then a PC?(btw thats the reason why most developers make mostly console titles what ever you might think its because their bottom line is better there.)

MrJKapowey said:
ecoho said:
TimeLord said:
Wait... what?

I'm confused and afraid on so many levels. But not surprised since these words came from a console creator!

How can you say consoles have "won" when those things like Steam go from strength to strength all the time. I'm not saying PC gaming has won, but consoles definitely haven't either!
i think he was just stating that consoles are everywhere now and that mobile devices are consoles at this point. also he ,nor anyone ive read about recently, didnt say pc gaming was dead but if when by numbers yeah consoles win, by a fucking landslide.
I think it could also be stated that PC gaming is on a console - A computer built specifically to play games. (since a lot of PC's have 'gamer processors and stuff' so they can play games better, or are purpose built by the owners.
well said.

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
This dude's got a bit of Tiger Blood in him, no?

But seriously, a "Console" is a device created with the primarily (or sole) intent of playing video games on it. A tad archaic, since even current-gen consoles are trying to branch out and do other things.

A "Platform" is a device on which video games are played. This includes the aforementioned Steam, PC, iPad/iPhone, as well as Consoles. However, most platforms do not see Video Gaming as its sole purpose, and can, in fact, do many other things.

So, to an extent, what he says is true. You can't really create anything technological nowadays that won't inevitably become a "platform," and perhaps by having so many people game, Seamus here believes that more people will want to play on consoles, even though a lot of these iPhone gamers are your lunch-and-transit-only gamers and can barely schedule in the necessary time to play a console.

But who cares, really? WINNING!!!

Reishadowen

Mar 18, 2011
This statement is clearly intended to boost confidence of investors, who, I guess are too stupid to recognize faulty logic when they see it.

Bu, yeah, considering that this guy is supposedly co-responsible for the XBOX, which really let's be honest, the only reason it didn't tank right out of the starting gate is because of Halo, I wouldn't be bragging about being able to project console sales and success information if I were you buddy.

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
so to him facebook is some sort of console?
interesting theory
well you gotta pay for all the games and additional content
theres no legal mods....

hmm....

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
I'm confused about his comments about the iPad. Is he saying it's failed because Apple tried to make it not about games? Because, looking at sales figures, I wouldn't say it's failed at all. Second, Apple billed the iPad as a good gaming device from the start, not to mention that games are the driving force behind their iPod Touch advertising.

Also, what counts as a console? Console vs PC? Because from what he's saying, a PC would count as a console because gaming has always been a focus of personal computers. Console vs Facebook games? I think there's enough room for the both to coexist. The people playing games on 360 and playing Farmville don't overlap much, there's not a clear way, or even a need, for one or the other to "win."

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Okay, grand, but while we are at it:
TV has also won, as most mobile devices can play video.
Fuck it, THE BOOK has clearly won, as both the iPad and Android tablets include ebook functionality.
Except his statement is even dumber, as he declares an abstract concept "games", the winner of a contest that nobody knew we were having.

Sure, why the fuck not.
Let´s just define everything in terms that make it impossible for us not to win. It´s the ultimate marketing strategy.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
*slap*
facebook and the iPad are not consoles, they are things that HAVE games but have other primary functions. a gaming PC is a console. a PC can be a console if used for that purpose PRIMARILY(ie mine.)
traditional consoles have not won.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
TimeLord said:
Wait... what?

No he actually isn't even talking about PC's really, he's talking about how Apple thought it could get so far without games and how now they have to get them and how they've lost. So if anything PC gaming is included when he says "consoles".

Vonnis

Feb 18, 2011
The beautiful thing about arguing semantics is that you can turn any loss into a victory. Unfortunately, you look like an utter twat in the process. So with that in mind: pc has won. All those (gaming) devices are computers, and they're all for personal use.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Wow, a whole thread full of people who don't know who Seamus Blackley is, what he's done, or what he stands for, taking something he said out of context and totally missing the point of his spiel. *shock*

This wasn't about PCs vs consoles, people. It was about the Nintendoesque fear that mobile devices were going to kill gaming. What actually happened is that they made it stronger. His use of the term 'console' is just semantics.

If you really want to know what this guy is all about, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xob-A4Nuyq4

(that's Warren Spector, who created Deus Ex interviewing him, BTW.)

He stands for all that is good in gaming, even though Trespasser sucked. :)

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
I'm a PC gamer and think it's the best gaming platform. But to the people before me talking about how well the PC is doing in game sales vs consoles, give it up already. That PC vs Console battle is done and dusted.

And for 100th time the nut in the article was not talking about PC's at all, but about competition from new devices, like tablets, mobile phones and internet TV's. And the numbers gaming there are going to be huge, even by console standards. Hence the concern from console makers.

Please stop with these PC's can compete in sales figure comments as they are delusional. Those comments just feed the PC Elitest stereo type everyone tries to peg us with. The PC is a niche market. The same way the super car (Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc) is market. I know sorry had to get that last PC shout out in there, but it is an analogy I believe is acurate.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
ph0b0s123 said:
Please stop with these PC's can compete in sales figure comments as they are delusional.
That's actually not true. EA had a deep look in their accounting books last quarter, and the non-GAAP figures for the PC were $154m in profit, versus $152m for the Xbox 360 and $111m for the PS3. Add in monsters like WOW and Steam and it become pretty clear that the PC absolutely is on or near par with consoles in terms of profitability.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
adamtm said:
Treblaine said:
adamtm said:

"I'm bleeding, that makes me the victor!"
"I must apologize for Xbox, he is an idiot. We have purposely designed him wrong... as a joke."
And i was afraid nobody would get the joke...
Hope you didn't mind me adding that picture to your quote, I felt it was the little added touch that was needed.

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
Treblaine said:
adamtm said:
Treblaine said:
adamtm said:

"I'm bleeding, that makes me the victor!"
"I must apologize for Xbox, he is an idiot. We have purposely designed him wrong... as a joke."
And i was afraid nobody would get the joke...
Hope you didn't mind me adding that picture to your quote, I felt it was the little added touch that was needed.
no problem, i couldnt find one :p