Xbox Co-Creator Says Consoles Have Won

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
ResonanceGames said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Please stop with these PC's can compete in sales figure comments as they are delusional.
That's actually not true. EA had a deep look in their accounting books last quarter, and the non-GAAP figures for the PC were $154m in profit, versus $152m for the Xbox 360 and $111m for the PS3. Add in monsters like WOW and Steam and it become pretty clear that the PC absolutely is on or near par with consoles in terms of profitability.
Please link the story for that, as that is very interesting.....

Edit: found it myself :http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/27/eas-non-gaap-figures-pc-beating-consoles/

Wow, just wow. So obviously don't believe the console propoganda

Edit 2: "If you look at the more accountable accounting of the GAAP figures, the PC trails with $205m to the 360′s $345m and PS3′s $308m."

Normal service is resumed....

Nemesis729

Jul 9, 2010
I don't think he understands what people mean when they say console... According to him everything that plays games is a console lol

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
ph0b0s123 said:
Normal service is resumed....
Even the traditional GAAP figures paint a picture of a platform that is clearly a major player, not a pariah. Same goes for the handhelds that Blackley was talking about. The PC and iPad/Phones are both huge parts of this industry.

Edit: Also, the GAAP figures are not necessarily more accurate. Distribution and profit models for PCs have changed drastically over the last four years, hence the need to try to paint a better internal picture, which is what they seem to have been aiming for with their non-GAAP findings.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Look, he's in denial, just like us PCers. I guess that means consoles and PCs will unite to form a combined front against Facebook or something.

Hey, that would be a pretty cool game!

AC10 said:
I guess sometimes victory is just declaring that you win.
Looks like he took a lesson out of Fox News' book.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
zerobudgetgamer said:
even though a lot of these iPhone gamers are your lunch-and-transit-only gamers and can barely schedule in the necessary time to play a console.
It fits the demographic of today.

As a kid a handheld console with games like Metroid Fusion were great as all to often I was living to other people's schedule, I would have a lot of time waiting around or being driven around.

But now as an adult trying to be efficient with my time I don't have much down time with nothing to do. And whereas in the past I'd be in the back seat on my gameboy, today I am driving. Though recently I have been walking a lot more. Either way, you can listen to music or podcasts but not game.

Also, I find I'd much rather get home quicker to all my fixed home entertainment than take my time gaming portable.

Or at least the only gaming opportunities I have are so damn short and with so many distractions, a simple pick-up-and-play game is more suited.

This is actually the challenge facing the likes of PSV. Personally, if I was in charge of PSV I'd market it like a laptop. Laptops aren't emphasised for how they are easily taken OUT of the house but how they are taken AROUND the house! Consoles are somewhat limited by being pinned to a single HDTV/monitor, I'd emphasise console integration and go 100% into video output streaming. Like the Wii U.

Basically sell the PSV equally as a peripheral to the PS3 as also a portable console.

Sony has some great studios, I'd like to see them work on some co-op or competitive games that can take advantage of a dual screen interface.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
So we were at war with something and won...?

Who were we fight/competting against exactly? I'm so confused.
Eurasia. We have always been at war with Eurasia. And the chocolate ration has been increased to 25 grams per week.

OT: Perhaps a more accurate headline would have been "Microsoft exec smokes crack, begins spouting gibberish".

Honestly, he's up there doing his best to say "Look! Look! We're still relevant! Please believe me!"

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
lithium.jelly said:
OT: Perhaps a more accurate headline would have been "Microsoft exec smokes crack, begins spouting gibberish".

Honestly, he's up there doing his best to \say "Look! Look! We're still relevant! Please believe me!"
He hasn't worked at Microsoft in 10 years, and the things he was talking about had nothing to do with the console vs. PC argument.

Even for this site, the reading comprehension on display in this thread is pretty sad.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
His definition of "console" crosses well into "PC", because he specified devices that do the same things that PCs do. So PC figures are relevant to his discussion, and Dell and HP have some sales figures that would seem to indicate he's pretty far off the mark.

RDubayoo

Sep 11, 2008
Portable games might be really popular right now but you're not going to get the same experience on an iPad as you can on a console, so the 360's and whatnot are safe for now.

What might REALLY kill traditional consoles is if OnLive and services like it become more popular. Why buy expensive hardware to play games on if you can get someone else to do it for you?

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
TimeLord said:
Easton Dark said:
A more apt statement would be that gaming has won.
But who or what was gaming fighting to have won?
Itself, but enough talk, *throws wine* HAVE AT YOU!

No, but seriously, no, consoles haven't won since they became multi-media players, so if anything, their the black kignigget who is a looney that thinks he can win while missing all of his limbs.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the major rise of gaming with Apple started with STEAM, not consoles. Yes, there were games on the Mac beforehand, but the launch of Steam on the Macbook made the difference.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
ResonanceGames said:
Wow, a whole thread full of people who don't know who Seamus Blackley is, what he's done, or what he stands for, taking something he said out of context and totally missing the point of his spiel. *shock*

This wasn't about PCs vs consoles, people. It was about the Nintendoesque fear that mobile devices were going to kill gaming. What actually happened is that they made it stronger. His use of the term 'console' is just semantics.

If you really want to know what this guy is all about, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xob-A4Nuyq4

(that's Warren Spector, who created Deus Ex interviewing him, BTW.)

He stands for all that is good in gaming, even though Trespasser sucked. :)
Heres what he stands for, the use of crack on top of his billions of money and will never die because his flying pony dragon-o-corn will protect him forever and ever, so games have won.

I'm kidding, but I HAD to respond to your first line, its just funny.

Sikratua

Apr 11, 2011
Numachuka said:
Sikratua said:
NathLines said:
Facebook is a console now? How the eff..?
If you spend your time on Facebook primarily playing Farmville, or any of the multitude of games on Facebook, then, yes, Facebook can be seen as a cloud-style gaming platform.
Nope. Consoles have hardware.
So do the computer banks that house Facebook's servers. What's your point?

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
Sikratua said:
Numachuka said:
Sikratua said:
NathLines said:
Facebook is a console now? How the eff..?
If you spend your time on Facebook primarily playing Farmville, or any of the multitude of games on Facebook, then, yes, Facebook can be seen as a cloud-style gaming platform.
Nope. Consoles have hardware.
So do the computer banks that house Facebook's servers. What's your point?
Just go and have a little think and you'll figure it out soon enough.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
ResonanceGames said:
lithium.jelly said:

Honestly, he's up there doing his best to \say "Look! Look! We're still relevant! Please believe me!"
He hasn't worked at Microsoft in 10 years, and the things he was talking about had nothing to do with the console vs. PC argument.

Even for this site, the reading comprehension on display in this thread is pretty sad.
So I didn't know he wasn't still working for MS. I don't care either. He's still talking complete nonsense.