Xbox Infinity unveiling in less than 10 hours

Apr 28, 2008
I can't really bring myself to care. I doubt they'll do anything with backwards compatibility considering how they abandoned that for the 360 back in 2007. Plus, the games I'd want to be backwards compatible I've gotten on my PC as the years went by.

To woo me they'll need to show quite a bit of new IP's. And not make the console always-online. Backwards compatibility would be nice, just to at least make sure the 360's library of games doesn't fade away and get completely forgotten, but I doubt they care.

Pink Gregory said:
Really? That's the name they went with?

Where can they go from there, anything beyond infinity is going to sound like schoolkids trying to outdo each other.

"Yeah, well I got Xbox Infinity..."

"Oh yeah? Well I got Xbox Infinity + 1, no returns."

"MEEEEEEEEEH I'M TELLING."

etc etc
That's not the official name. It's a name somebody made up in a photoshop and people assumed it was the real thing.

PeterMerkin69

Dec 2, 2012
I'm going to watch it. I've decided against buying the next Microsoft console due to how godawful my experience with the 360 has been. Having said that, I'm going to give them a cursory glance before dropping any money. They might shock me and do something really, really good but, after having my Live account socially engineered away and being deprived of access for three months while they bungled the investigation, an ethernet port bound with duct tape because the terminal kept falling out of the jack, a loose controller battery compartment that leads to frequent disconnects if I so much as move my arms while playing, and a mic that also disconnected the controller for whatever reason, their next offering had better include a blowjob port if they want my business.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
britishpanda said:
Aerosteam said:
A snake devouring it's tail symbolises eternity...

I want that on my console.
that would be cool as hell.
It would be cool, but think of all the terrible attempts at spelling Ouroboros...

The bigger question is, what are they going to call the next one? What can possibly follow infinity?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I am pretty interested atm. I guess because I am really wanting to see what if anything will turn the next generation of console gaming into a complete "No Sale" personally.

Sony is out due to their behavior and how they mistreat customers. With Microsoft there has been this nagging suspicion something bad will come thanks to things like Win8's more aggressively restrictive nature, rumors of no used, Rumors of always on requirements, etc.

So with Sony being hands off and nintendo being a no even for developers right now, sadly the only horse in the race left is MS and they have been tapdancing on landmines.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Deathlyphil said:
britishpanda said:
Aerosteam said:

It would be cool, but think of all the terrible attempts at spelling Ouroboros...

The bigger question is, what are they going to call the next one? What can possibly follow infinity?
Xbox Infinitier
Xbox Twofinity
Xbox Infinity 2: Son of Xbox Infinity
Orthbox Dealwithit

I don't see why they would need to call it something sequential. They'll give it a slightly pretentious name like Xbox Intrigue or Xbox Innoplaytion (which someone will get a raise for and become best friends with Steve Ballmer).

Captcha's suggestion: Tea with jam. Give me two!

Sangreal Gothcraft

Feb 28, 2011
Wonder if people realize the Xbox Infinity name is fake and made by some one on reddit as a way to troll the clueless mass.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
I'm excited for it to be awful, and I'm ready to poke fun at everything Microsoft does hilariously wrong.

Deshin said:
And for those of you who want to play along at home: Bingo!
My sincere thanks for this, this made my day. Although this Bingo sheet sadly lacks "Dubstep" and "Cinematic Trailer" squares.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
The naming convention for the Xbox is an interesting exercise in marketing descisions. We started out with the PS2 and Xbox, so for Sony, naming the PS3 was an easy and logical next step. But if you're Microsoft, you can't call your new console the Xbox 2, as it makes it look like you are a generation behind your competitor. If they are on 3 and you're only on 2, consumers might assume the one with the bigger nmber is better. But, Microsoft can't call it the Xbox 3 either, as there is no Xbox 2 for them to step up from. That's how they arrived at the 360; it splits the difference between needing to seem on the same level as your competitor while also not leaving ythe consumer wondering where the Xbox 2 is. So now we have a new problem, as 720 sounds like shit. Infinity is probably a good choice, especially if it is going to be based on the same style/layout as windows 8, as it keeps similar iconography with existing Microsoft products.

As for what you do when Xbox makes another new console after infinity, you can grab whatever iconography exists in other products at that time, or else you can switch numbers for something like colors. Xbox Black maybe? With the eventual slim version being called the Xbox Stealth? Edgebox? (Hope you like getting sued!) Sexbox? (With integrated adult content!) Trekbox (JJ Abrams edition!) Seriously though, they shouldn't have too much trouble getting out of the corner they've painted themselves into with 'infinity' should that be the actual name.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
The good news is that the always online thing is gone, the bad news is that people think this thing is cursed or something.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
Irridium said:
That's not the official name. It's a name somebody made up in a photoshop and people assumed it was the real thing.
Sangreal Gothcraft said:
Wonder if people realize the Xbox Infinity name is fake and made by some one on reddit as a way to troll the clueless mass.
Shhh, it's the internet, we have to believe every rumor out there!

I'm staying up to watch it just in the hope that all the bad rumors are shut down completely so I can laugh at everyone that complained about rumors and took everyone of them to be 100% true, well, except for the ones that had good news.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
CriticalMiss said:
Deathlyphil said:
britishpanda said:
Aerosteam said:

Xbox Infinitier
Xbox Twofinity
Xbox Infinity 2: Son of Xbox Infinity
Orthbox Dealwithit
How about Xbox Outfinity? That one sounds hoopy.

OT: Not too excited, nope. Never cared much for consoles and the entire "platform wars" scene gives me the goosebumps. Meh, I so wish things would be sold on their own merits, not on what stuff you can or can't get if you do or don't buy this one thing.

tgbennett30

Oct 7, 2010
xPixelatedx said:
Pink Gregory said:
Also, I don't see much of a reason to hope for backwards compatibility, it's not like it was that popular a feature with the 360, although if it just hosts digital downloads of previous-generation titles then I guess that's a saving grace.
Compare the library of Xbox games to Xbox 360 games and you might see the reason why it's a LOT more valid now. They called the original Xbox the Halo box, because that's why most people bought it; for that one game. Most people didn't buy 360's for one game... in fact Everyone I know has 10(+) 360 games. I, for example, have 34 (no, that does not count XBLA games either). That's some interesting contrast to the 6 original xbox games I had the entire time that thing was relevant. Not only do most Xbox owners have more games, there are more Xbox owners now more then ever, so now we have more people who have more games.
Should my old Xbox ever die (and it will one day) I would still like to play those 34 games I bought, thanks. Encouraging people to buy a new console as a replacement for an old one is a brilliant strategy. Also being able to play 360 games on an infinity would help them financially as some people who never bought a 360 or no longer have a working one might buy an infinity and continue to purchase 360 games on top of Infinity games. Dual sales would be a good thing, because launch games for a console are both scarce and not usually the best of quality. Heck, someone currently thinking about buying a 360 just to play a few titles might hold off and go for broke with an Infinity, as that would be the smarter move.
This makes a great deal of sense.

*engage cynicism mode*

Which is why it will never happen - the idea that BC means people will be less likely to buy new games, however silly or contrived it may be, appears to be *solidly* entrenched in the minds of the higher-ups at Microsoft. Yeah, it's not an easy thing to switch between the consoles given their differences...but I think it would be very worthwhile.

I was a big time supporter of XBox and 360, had about 10x as many games for each as I did for the corresponding PS unit...but I just can't find it in myself to get excited about this. The number of exclusives has dropped precipitously, and I don't care for the whole "media box" thing - I just want to play games on my couch.

However, if the XI is BC, then I'll get one, and likely early to boot. Otherwise, I have a backlog of literally 70 games (including Skyrim and RDR, which don't exactly finish quick), so I'm quite content to wait a year or two 'til joining the newest gen...

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
SSJBlastoise said:
Irridium said:
Sangreal Gothcraft said:
Shhh, it's the internet, we have to believe every rumor out there!

I'm staying up to watch it just in the hope that all the bad rumors are shut down completely so I can laugh at everyone that complained about rumors and took everyone of them to be 100% true, well, except for the ones that had good news.
Im with you. The amount of people who backhand this thing for fucking RUMORS is atrocious. Then they blame the media for being misinformed.

I cant wait, i was nervous for always online only but now i will be getting this one regardless.

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
Internet isn't powerful enough to watch the stream. Someone please keep us updated.

Xbox Infinity: It's infinite in it's mediocrity.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
I honestly don't get the need for BC for existing XBox owners. You already have an Xbox. And no, that it will break eventually is not a good excuse, repairs are not expensive (except RRoD, but odds of that happening inside warranty are very high), so why throw even more money at the problem with a new ~500$ system?

Makes far more sense to want BC from Xbox if you're a PS3 owner, because then you can switch over and grab the exclusives.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
Anathrax said:
Internet isn't powerful enough to watch the stream. Someone please keep us updated.

Xbox Infinity: It's infinite in it's mediocrity.
I'm sure people will be able to help out, I'll try but I'm usually crap at picking out the important points haha

Edit: Streaming service is now up and is just running a countdown timer and dramatic music