Xbox Infinity unveiling in less than 10 hours

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
So who here is exited and who here believes this will be awful?

I (personally) have already lost much of my hope, and will watch it for the intrigue all train wrecks offer. The Sweet Billy drama and the delay in the unveiling because of it did not inspire confidence in me. The fake infinity sign being a sideways 8 (and being believable) does not inspire confidence in me. The intel that it will focus heavily on being the next cable box and have Kinect mandatory does not inspire confidence in me. Lastly, the closing studios, current failure of triple A games and numerous people being fired all over the place does not inspire confidence in me for the Infinity or PS4.

Of course, the conference could still change my mind. But they are going to have to show something pretty amazing today in order for that to happen. That or announce Backwards compatibility; in which case I'm sold out the gate. (we all know our 360's have expatriation dates)

EDIT: Looks like they changed the name to Xbox One. Sounds a bit better at least!

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Really? That's the name they went with?

Where can they go from there, anything beyond infinity is going to sound like schoolkids trying to outdo each other.

"Yeah, well I got Xbox Infinity..."

"Oh yeah? Well I got Xbox Infinity + 1, no returns."

"MEEEEEEEEEH I'M TELLING."

etc etc

OT: as always, games first, then the console.

Also, I don't see much of a reason to hope for backwards compatibility, it's not like it was that popular a feature with the 360, although if it just hosts digital downloads of previous-generation titles then I guess that's a saving grace.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I'm certainly curious to see what it will offer, even though I have no plans on buying one.

Mostly want to see if they will go through with the constant connection feature.
Also it's purported to be linked to Win 8.
I HAVE to see that.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I'm already resigned to the thing blowing chucks made of Kinect and Pizza Hut apps, so anything a step up from that is a bonus.

I don't care about Kinect or Netflix or any of that other bullshit, Microsoft! All I care about from my game console is games. The clues in the title.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Pink Gregory said:
Also, I don't see much of a reason to hope for backwards compatibility, it's not like it was that popular a feature with the 360, although if it just hosts digital downloads of previous-generation titles then I guess that's a saving grace.
Compare the library of Xbox games to Xbox 360 games and you might see the reason why it's a LOT more valid now. They called the original Xbox the Halo box, because that's why most people bought it; for that one game. Most people didn't buy 360's for one game... in fact Everyone I know has 10(+) 360 games. I, for example, have 34 (no, that does not count XBLA games either). That's some interesting contrast to the 6 original xbox games I had the entire time that thing was relevant. Not only do most Xbox owners have more games, there are more Xbox owners now more then ever, so now we have more people who have more games.
Should my old Xbox ever die (and it will one day) I would still like to play those 34 games I bought, thanks. Encouraging people to buy a new console as a replacement for an old one is a brilliant strategy. Also being able to play 360 games on an infinity would help them financially as some people who never bought a 360 or no longer have a working one might buy an infinity and continue to purchase 360 games on top of Infinity games. Dual sales would be a good thing, because launch games for a console are both scarce and not usually the best of quality. Heck, someone currently thinking about buying a 360 just to play a few titles might hold off and go for broke with an Infinity, as that would be the smarter move.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I am neither excited nor believing it will be shit atm I am just waiting to see what they do and if any of the rumours are true.

I did hear that they wont be focusing on the games in this unveiling though which seems a bit stupid to me they can market it as an entertainment hub if they want but that seems more of an icing on the cake rather than the cake itself why buy another entertainment hub after all if not for the games?

Anyway thats unsubstantiated as well so just waiting now.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
xPixelatedx said:
So who here is exited and who here believes this will be awful?
I find the whole situation very depressing.

This is the first console launch where I know absolutely nobody who is excited or can't wait to play the hot new titles. Everyone is just kinda quietly resigned. We know we're going to be saddled with shit like increased social media integration, advertising, enormous upfront costs and in-built gimmicks like motion controllers which developers will then feel obliged to use regardless of whether they add anything to the experience. The only hope I've seen is the hope that, while we know we're going to get fucked, at least the person doing it will be gentle. I hate thinking this way; I generally despise the negativity so often found within the gaming community and try to remain positive, but the direction the industry as a whole is heading in isn't giving me a whole lot of choice in the matter.

Pink Gregory said:
Where can they go from there, anything beyond infinity is going to sound like schoolkids trying to outdo each other.
To Xbox Infinity...AND BEYOND!

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
I'm kind of excited in a "I'm interested" way. That is, I'm not expecting a horror show, and I'm not expecting to be sold on the infinity (I haven't played a console game in quite a while) but I do like new things and surprises.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
piinyouri said:
Also it's purported to be linked to Win 8.
I HAVE to see that.
I'm going to watch it after the fact (I sleep during the day after all) and while I'm not going to get one, I'm really curious to see how many of the rumors turn out to be true. If the Window's 8 rumor is true, it would point to the "always online" or, "Always Online unless you want this thing to not work right" being true.

I'm very curious to see what these exclusives are. If the Infinity is always online (and uses Windows 8) then it could be that the Infinity is capable of using Steam and/or Origins and allow you to play or stream the games you have downloaded from those services. I don't see the PS4, Wii U or any other console offering that.

Another theory would be that EA signed an exclusivity deal but I don't see this being too plausible unless of course franchises like Star Wars anything and, the sports games (the shitty, terrible, walking-dead Sports-games) will be timed exclusives (wanna play Star Wars: Trails of Katarn? Buy it NOW on the Infinity! Or wait 2 months for the PS4/PSV release...or suck a dick if you own a Wii U but maybe there will be a 3DS version next year if you're lucky).

The original Xbox has some great games on it that I absolutely love. Games that ONLY exist on the original Xbox (that I know of). I'll be mildly interested if the games announced at E3 as Infinity exclusives include Crimson Skies, Otogi: Myth of Demons, Mechassault, Black or just about ANYTHING Rare owns the rights to like Killer Instinct or, Conker.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
I'm going to watch it. MS should have the upper hand because they've had enough time since Sony's announcement for them to modify any specs and analyse critical responses but it can go either way at this point

And for those of you who want to play along at home: Bingo!

[http://i.imgur.com/aIeSJC1h.jpg]

Bluestorm83

Jun 20, 2011
Stopped caring. The "New XBox Home" that replaced the old, functional, not covered with advertisements Dashboard made me hate my 360 and relegate it to nothing but a Netflix Machine has turned me off of consoles forever. Used to be, I'd use my VIDEO GAME CONSOLE to play VIDEOGAMES. Not to be bombarded with music video ads and commercials for old spice and... well, basically all of the SHIT that I'm trying to get away from by playing Video Games.

In short, I am now almost exclusively a PC Gamer.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well I'll watch it. Hell, it'll be nice to actually know something about the console instead of hearing every rumour under the sun about the thing.

I've already said though that if it has Mirror's Edge 2 as an exclusive, I'll pre-order that shit straight away, even it did have all the stuff it's rumoured to have. It would end up being the only game I would get for it but still.

Honestly though, I have no idea what they could announce, but I'm pretty sure whatever it is will be complained about anyway.

purplecactus

Jun 25, 2012
Oh dear... Really? I just don't...

Raging enthusiasm aside, I don't really see how they're going to be able to make this better than the 360 in the sense that the intended gaming audience will receive it well. I should say that I'm not an Xbox gamer, but nonetheless I've had my share of experiences with them, most of which have been varying degrees of negative.

I guess I'll reserve my final judgement for when someone I know has one and I can experience it for myself. For now I'll just remain as indifferent as a biased PC gamer can get.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
xPixelatedx said:
The infinity sign being a sideways 8 does not inspire confidence in me.
But... That is the symbol for infinity. How else could they have done it?

xefaros

Jun 27, 2012
I will try and find a stream outside US to watch the reveal simply to find out about the hardware and architecture of the machine.Not much interested on titles and social discomfort of couch players since that what MS would aim for

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I actually am excited, but I'm being as optimistic as possible. Backwards compatibility, not always online, showing actual games, as less Kinect-related things as possible, etc.
Pinkamena said:
xPixelatedx said:
A snake devouring it's tail symbolises eternity...

I want that on my console.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Pinkamena said:
xPixelatedx said:
Not to mention Infinity is a far better name then Xbox 720 or just Xbox, like people thought it would be.

Just want to hear the details on how it will work, drm etc, this may be the generation I go full on PC.

soitgoes19

Jul 8, 2012
If the Infinity has backwards compatibility I would seriously consider buying one in addition to the PS4, although I would be really surprised if they included it. They'll probably just resell the old stuff digitally.