Xbox live ban hammer...

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I play on Xbox live quite a bit. I have people I regularly game with who are good people, I meet plenty of others who are great too.

Having now said that, there is a lot of douchebaggery.

The other day I was playing Endwar over live and managed to kill a couple of enemy units (this is worse than defeat but didnt warrant the response). When the game ended I was greeted by a not so friendly American with the following response:

"You fucking ****** jew, Ill rape you and your whole ****** family"

When I asked him what was with the race hate he replied:

"What so youre British now? Fuck off back to England and stay off American servers"

Odd as I was sat in the middle of England at the time, so middle that the area is known as "the Midlands". He later messaged me with further racial slurs. Ive reported him as I do anyone throwing around homophobic/racist remarks. I have have 2 questions.

1: Does anyone here know anyone whos been banned/warned/suspended from XBL for racism etc? Do MS really act on complaints?
2: Why the hell would you get that worked up over a game?

Patiently awaiting your sage like input...

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
1. The system is automated based on accumulated complaints of similar nature. Someone I know was banned for maintaining a rep of less than 3 stars for 5 months.

2. They're too emotionally invested, this is common in sports too.

mr mcshiznit

Apr 10, 2008
1. Yeah eventually if you get enough hate microsoft will take action... were talking months of hate for this to happen though. As for ms acting on complaints..no not really. In fact it really make me mad with all the people cheating and such. O well so goes life.

2. You(not you of course) get that worked up because your immature. Thats the only reason some one like that get super worked up. Dont get me wrong i get pretty morked up with the FU's and the G**Dammits but never do I get to the point of racial slurs outside of my freinds where its all in good fun.

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
1. Over a period of time. With enough complaints.
2. Because he's a virgin.

'Nuff said.

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
Damn I hate that people like this will most likely give people a misunderstanding of americans in general

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
1) While I don't know anyone that punised for racial slurs Ms does act on complaints. I was suspended for sending a joke message to some griefer on Left 4 dead and got suspended for a week.

2)Just remeber that not all Americans are like that. I blame the Xbox community as ,Like Yathzee said, It is advertised to teenagers and people in there twentes and there are some trouble makers.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
GodsOneMistake said:
Damn I hate that people like this will most likely give people a misunderstanding of americans in general
Ive lived in America and play with a lot of Americans I get on great with on line. I carry no ill will. There are douchebags in every nation.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
bjj hero said:
I play on Xbox live quite a bit. I have people I regularly game with who are good people, I meet plenty of others who are great too.

Having now said that, there is a lot of douchebaggery.

The other day I was playing Endwar over live and managed to kill a couple of enemy units (this is worse than defeat but didnt warrant the response). When the game ended I was greeted by a not so friendly American with the following response:

"You fucking ****** jew, Ill rape you and your whole ****** family"

When I asked him what was with the race hate he replied:

"What so youre British now? Fuck off back to England and stay off American servers"

Odd as I was sat in the middle of England at the time, so middle that the area is known as "the Midlands". He later messaged me with further racial slurs. Ive reported him as I do anyone throwing around homophobic/racist remarks. I have have 2 questions.

1: Does anyone here know anyone whos been banned/warned/suspended from XBL for racism etc? Do MS really act on complaints?
2: Why the hell would you get that worked up over a game?

Patiently awaiting your sage like input...
1) I doubt it, since there are still so many douchebags on XBL.
2) He's probably an idiotic sports fanatic, who moved away from his constant football games and can't handle playing the game. I.e. A wuss.

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
1. Depends how many complaints he gets, whether its a one off occurance etc etc.

2. Me and a friend actualy agreed on a theory about this a few days ago, and while not universaly applicable it may be true for some. These days most people in the developed world (places where they can afford Xbox's and live subs etc.) live pretty comfortable lives, go to work, get paid, go back to thier houses, relax, repeat. They have no "real" worries or frustrations. Yet its part of human nature to worry, get worked up, frustrated etc from time to time otherwise it all just builds up to bursting point.

And so when there is a lack of large or true things to get worked up about it gets redirected at even the smallest things If you've ever seen a woman yell at a photocopier at the office thats a prime example. The same applies here, people playing these video games have no real frustrations so all thier hostility gets directed at the game

Just my 2 cents and sorry for the mini wall of text

Raven Leader

May 1, 2009
1. I know one person that did get banned, but not for racism/homophobic remarks and not be accident. He sent a nude picture of himself to the last 150 people he played matches with.

2. The way the report system works is simple. It is made to require little or not human input. In order for someone to be reviewed for a ban, they must have something absurd like 100 reports against them for the same thing. So unless he get 100 more complaints about racism filed against him, nothing will really happen.

I see this happen a lot, and unfortunately, usually triggered accidentally and in reverse by me. I looooove listening to British people talk, so I say "I like your accent." and sometimes ask which country they are from. This is met with anti-American remarks the likes of which I dare not to repeat. I get over it immediately but yes, people on XBL are generally people that think they can make someone cry just by calling them names. I find it hilarious when someone tries to grief me, but that's just me.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
1) its quite hard to get someone banned on eckzbawx live.

2) He was just raised a stupid way, and he thinks its 'Cool' Ive heard lots of people doing it becuase of my irish accent mixed with an american accent (it does Sound a LITTLE stupid I have to admit) anyone who hasnt fully broken their voices, is a girl, is british, or has an odd accent of any kind, or is just better/worse than everyone at the game will be Shouted down in most matches. so we are at a Internet equivalent of the 18th century - the only ones who rule are teenage white american males.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Yeah, it's always disconcerting when you get a message following an online game that basically amounts to "YOU SUCK I HATE YOU RACIAL SLUR PREJUDICED REMARK".

Really, the only thing that can be done is to report. At least then you won't have to deal with him again.

Trendkill6

Dec 14, 2008
GodsOneMistake said:
Yeah, not all of us are douchebags.

but here's a tip if you wanna get him banned.
Make multiple accounts, play matches against him, complain of verbal assault and racial slurs. Repeat.

you can rid Xbox live of jerks one by one :D

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Xbox livers are douches, there is no way around it, there is no way to avoid them. Just ignore them and don't get in arguments because the more you talk, the more they respond with horrible things.

Nox13last

Mar 18, 2009
1)
It is a fairly good comparison that the chances of an Xbox moderator (a mythical and rarely-seen race, less so than unicorns or dragons) swings a banhammer, a lifer of World of Warcraft walks out and retains his social competence.
That said, youd have better luck with vigilante justice. Or you can get everyone to file bad feedback, complaints, and block communications. Message everyone from the previous game.

This is no comment at you, Bjj, but most FPS players ARE douchebags. If you end up piercing someone's nipple from across town with nothing but a pistol, and it's a killshot, you should expect many racial epithets, and rape-and-death threats. But when it boils down to it, the game calculated it as a hit, and a kill, so you're just really, really, really lucky.
If you kill someone in the battlefield, expect them to complain that you killed them while they were typing (or AFK, or some other debilitating circumstance), or that it was a cheap shot. If you and another person are aiming to kill one guy, and you get the kill, expect to be called a kill-stealer, despite the tactical gains of a 2vs1 firefight.
It's just the demographic of FPSs. The polar opposite is RPG (where people like to co-operate and kill together).

2)
Some people get very passionate about games. They immerse themselves in the game to fill something they're missing or suffering. It's sort of like a compensation. They miss out on, say, fitting into a society, so they recluse themselves into games.
For example, I (yes, me) don't actually have any real life friends. Thanks in part to over-protective parents, I was kept indoors and 'away from bad influences', and so the Internet was the only social exchange I had (and still have to this day).
Some people like that get over-protective, because they've cashed all their chips into that one box, and you're coming along and tipping them all out.

Don't let it get to you. These people should be pitied, not hated (but I'd gladly drive a screwdriver into their trachea any day).