Xbox LIVE hack doing the rounds

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
this is why I only buy prepaid cards and only buy them if I know what I'm getting already. furthermore I buy dlc codes when I get the chance instead of the prepaid cards.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Great, the same sort of thing just happened to the PSN. I actually have some money on my account too!*sigh*
I wonder if the Wii will get hit?
drumguy818 said:
see, this is why fanboys need to keep their mouths shut. 10 bucks this hacker/group of hackers were PS3 fans who got pissed at the Xbox fans making fun of the PSN hack and wanting to prove that Microsoft was just as vulnerable. Not trying to justify it at all, but you guys kinda had it coming, and I'm sorry for the Live users that didn't make fun of the PSN hack. I bet they're coming up with a way to make a full on network for the Wii just to hack it...
I believe your theory has a few flaws in it. Mainly the fact that PSN has Benny comprised just about an hour ago.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
Idsertian said:
This has been going on at least since the back end of last month, and Microsoft don't seem to be doing much about it except on a reactionary level. I.e. nothing gets done until customers phone and complain about their accounts getting hacked. It seems there's absolutely nothing you can do about your account getting jacked, as I have read reports of people spotting the unauthorised purchases and nabbing their account back, changing their password, only to have their account re-jacked in minutes.

This suggests to me that whoever is doing this, has a major door-jam holding open a backdoor to LIVE's database somewhere. What boggles my mind is this has been going on for at least a couple of weeks now and nothing has been done to try and combat it. MS haven't even tried warning customers that this is going on, keeping it all very hush hush. This smacks of the PSN hack a few months ago and the way this is going, it certainly is almost at the same level.
You give them far too much credit. If the account is getting re-hacked minutes after changing the password then it's more likely they've hacked your e-mail account than busted through Microsoft's defenses, plus you've probably got a virus, most likely a keylogger, that's allowing them to keep breaking into your stuff. When an account gets hacked it's usually because the user inadvertently at some point did something that gave them access. Phishing e-mails are usually a prime suspect, and some of them are damned convincing to.(most are utter crap that you'd be a fool to fall for though)

The point is that the hackers don't have some terrifying foot in Microsoft's back door. They prefer to walk right through the front gates. Run a thorough check of your computer, change the passwords on your e-mail account(s), and then only when you're sure you've neutralized the threat, change the password and e-mail association on your XBL account. My advice is to set up a separate e-mail account specifically for your XBL stuff, use it for nothing else. It's literally the most fool proof way to avoid them getting your info via a hacked e-mail account.
Basically this, but it's probably something even simpler, like the OP having used login information that matches up to his live account on a third party website which was either hacked or (more likely) a phishing site to begin with. This kind of thing happens all the time, and people tend to way overestimate what the "hackers" have to actually do to get in. It reminds me of all the "OMG, you just got hacked!!!11!!" BS that happens on Facebook anytime somone A.) leaves a window open with their account already logged in, allowing the next person to post something stupid under their name, if they so desire, or B.) falls for a clickjacking scam (we've all done it. Some of the ways they hide those "Like" buttons are pretty ingenious), and instead of realizing that literally the only thing that has happened is they "Liked" a page, which had some pre-written spam message that goes out every time someone likes it, they freak out, thinking their account has been in some way compromised. I'll admit, I was worried too -- the first time it happened to me, over two years ago. Of course, back then (pre-like buttons on external sites) it was actually rogue Facebook apps doing some pretty malicious crap; the way it works now, it really harms nothing -- at least no moreso than people reposting stupid chain letters.

Hisshiss

Aug 10, 2010
Scruffsss said:
Hisshiss said:
Every thread about this makes me feel a little bit better, because on semptember 9th, my account got cracked into, they charged about 150 bucks in worth of microsoft points, about 10,000, and played some fuckin Fifa. I reported it the day it happened, they suspended the account and whatnot, and just have not heard a word from microsoft since. Its been an insane pain in the ass, especially since my best friend is in town for just a few more weeks and we havnt gotten to play live together in years (His home away from home doesnt really afford him the time to game because of how the household works.), so Im gonna miss that bonding experience if this doesn't wrap up. On top of that, my moms credit card was on the account from god knows how many years ago, as Ive been using my own for atleast a good 24 months, so shes now down 150 bucks that microsoft is clearly in no rush to refund.

All in all, Im just glad this isn't an isolated event, it means that other people will actually understand what Im talking about, and gives me a tiny bit of faith that MS customer support isnt just this bad all the time.

I just want it to be over -.-. Ive had gears of war 3 for atleast 2 damn weeks, and I still havn't gotten to play it with anyone else, or input the vast pile of frikkin DLC codes Im just praying will still work when this is all sorted out.

Edit: One of the things that creeped me out is that I have never mentioned my windows live ID to anyone, and I know for I fact I have never logged onto the account from any computer ever, it was made on my xbox, and its been logged onto with my xbox for the roughly 5 years Ive had that profile.

And on that note, I want my 40 thousand gamerscore, and hundreds of dollars worth of game licenses on that profile back xD. If it wasn't for that stuff I would just start over for all the trouble this caused me. It's a mixture of anticipation and just plain fear, because the general time the recovery process seems to fit into is 25 to 30 days, which is what they told me on the phone as well, but alot of people insist that it can drag well into 2 to 3 months. which isn't gonna work, If we get into mid november and my live isn't back up, Im breaking a piggy bank open and jumping ship to PS3, because I am not missing dungeon defenders, Skyrim, and saints row the third xD. This isn't a fanboy comment, I really just cannot be down an online profile and whatnot for another high profile launch, being knocked totally offline for gears 3 fucked my social life man xD. My friend's were not merciful about my situation. The 30 day range ended a few days ago anyways, as my account was breached and reported on the 9th of september as stated above. So in a just world, its any day now...as if.
Same thing happened to me! Except I had the 150 dollars taken from MY bank account (couldn't get fucking lunch Sunday, and I HATE having to tell them that I can't buy the delicious food infron of me)mine happened Sept. 5th I believe.

I got my money back 4 days after calling them though which was a godsend. I have still yet to hear back from them on the new email I made for them to contact me at and I don't have access to my account still.

Im gonna have to end up calling them again though to cancel an auto renewing membership thing (FFS Microsoft) I made for a new account so I wouldn't be balls bored. Ill ask them today what the ever-loving FUCK is going on with my damn account.
I had a sudden surge of hope when you mentioned that secondary Email they make you create, as I hadn't remembered to check it until now, but sadly not a word v.v. And that sucks about the bank account xD. I probly would have been robbed myself, but my card only had 20 bucks in it at the time, so he most likely just passed right over it. Im planning on pestering them this friday as well, since its been over 35 days since I reported it, which I think puts me in bitchy customer range.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Good thing I spent all my MS Points back when I still had an Xbox.

Also, it doesn't sound like the entire infrastructure of Xbox Live is getting hacked, just a bit of bad luck from your end and you have my sympathies. I've been reading stories like this since the 360 launched. General and basic tips apply in this case, use a harder password (not necessarily longer), change your email or create a new one just for your Gamertag and report everything to Microsoft, they may sort this out.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yep, let's just assume that Xbox Live has been hacked. There's no possible way that anyone gave out their password by accident, had their password guessed, used the same password on another service that got hacked and then the hackers tried passwords on Xbox Live (kind of like what Sony just had happen). It must be that Xbox Live got hacked, and of course Microsoft isn't stopping them because... Oh I dunno, the cool thing is to just hate Microsoft, so we don't really need a logical reason, do we? MS sucks, that's why.

Please.

Neronium said:
I wonder if the Wii will get hit?
Not a chance. Nintendo's online is too archaic to get hit. What are they going to do, hack our friend codes? There are no accounts on Wii, meaning there is nothing for "hackers" to take from you. I guess that's the one advantage Nintendo has over Xbox Live and PSN. Although considering all the disadvantages, I'm not really sure it's worth it considering that simple account safety will keep your Xbox Live and PSN accounts safe.

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
This is why I'm glad I didn't renew my Gold account when it expired in March. Suck it Microshit.

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
I'm going to hell for this...

Maybe it's Steve Jobs' last hurrah from the after-life?

Anyway, in all seriousness, good luck to everyone having to deal with this. Hopefully they'll do something positive for you like they did with the PS3 owners.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Hm. Well, my email and Xbox accounts are separate, and my system is clean, and I haven't played any multiplayer on my Xbox recently.

Still, I'll take my card info off my account for safety's sake.

Thanks for the heads up.

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
As a ps3 user, the irony is kinda staggering, almost enoguh to make me go out and test the reaction of xbox users who a few months ago were banging on about how superior the xbox was because it hadnt been hacked by the same people who hacked the cia.

But what occurs to me is that at least sony did something, even if everyon ragged on them for it. It almost seems to me like microsoft arent doing anything noticeable to avoid the bad PR. Cause if half of what is claimed happened after the psn got hacked, then the only console any game company will go to will be the wii cause it aint been hacked...

Also, i dont know how true this is, but ive heard you have to have a credit card linked up to ur xbox live account, is this true?
And if it is, how can you stop people using it like has been meantioned without shutting down your account? seems like a bit of a flaw here.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Hehe, all the kids at school will whine and moan, while I play Little Big Planet 2 and Uncharted 2 without worries on my PS3. Friggin' babies can't go two days without playing their precious CoD and Gears. Pffftttt...

OT: Sounds like bad news. Hopefully microsoft will solve the problem before it becomes another PSN type outbreak.

INGSOC225

Dec 27, 2009
This sounds eerily similar to what happened to me.... On September 11 someone hacked into my account and bought 10,000 Microsoft points... I only found this out after I got a message from xbl in CHINESE! Someone went and changed my preferred language and added their Hotmail account to my list of admin addresses... With all this these point they downloaded DA:O, Halo3, Need For Speed: Some iteration of more speed or burs, Mirrors edge and a couple of indie games.... I called Xbox right away, they fixed it just in time for BF3 beta and didn't get charged for any of it. The weird part is I still have the games on my download list... So I guess I got them for free? I don't know but it sounds like a bunch of different people got access to a ton of accounts at one time... I should go and make another email for xbl only...

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
GiantRaven said:
Idsertian said:
I have heard it posited that it's not a person, but some sort of bot doing it. I honestly don't know how likely or easy that'd be, but it makes sense given the mindless repetition of the task. Unless whoever's doing it is a die-hard MMO fan or something, FIFA not withstanding.
And to what end? Congratulations person running this bot; you now have a lot of FIFA 12 DLC over and over again!
I don't feel like running through the other two pages to see if anyone suggested this yet, but maybe that's their 'calling card'?

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
dickywebster said:
As a ps3 user, the irony is kinda staggering, almost enoguh to make me go out and test the reaction of xbox users who a few months ago were banging on about how superior the xbox was because it hadnt been hacked by the same people who hacked the cia.
Not everyone bashed PS3 Users, spite that I myself have a Xbox 360. I felt really bad because it sucks to be hacked- I have been hacked before but not to a degree of money or credit info being stolen. To me, this is pretty awful that people would abuse their abilities in hacking then do this to other people. Why can't they hack for the good causes like trying to take down black markets online? *shrug*

Anyhow, I stand by what I say... PS3 or Xbox User- I am sorry for the issues you guys faced with being charged over $150 or got ripped off in the end by hackers. I'm very fortunate to of not been hacked in time to make huge changes by removing my credit info, changing my e-mail to my Xbox 360, then shutting down my first e-mail that had all the history linked with Xbox 360. I'm pretty sure I am still as risk, but a much better chance of not being hacked now.
I know its not everyone, but it was thrown around the media and net and by a number of friends enough to annoy me and wait to see how this is any different.
But it doesnt surprise me, its not like this side of hacking is anything new...

Also, this and the psn inccident are why i dont have an account in the first place, well that and not using it, but iccidents like this might become more common with the rise of the tech savvy generation.

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
Der_Bradly said:
So... I looked this up online. Apparently this happens especially to people who have played the Battlefield 3 Beta...

While There are some whose account was hacked without playing the beta, An almost eerie similarity between hacked accounts in that those hacked played the BF3 beta.

So, dont play the Beta.
Interestingly enough, I haven't played the beta on LIVE...but I have on PSN.

DeadSp8s said:
Same shit happened to me. Fifa 12 and everything, cept they bought 10,000 points worth on my credit card, ARRGHH!!!

Sucks. I hope I get it sorted out soon because my XBLA Account is suspended til it gets fixed, I can't play Gears!!! I only linked my credit card with my account so I could buy the season pass!!
I'm annoyed, because I was about to buy some more points and get the season pass. Now I just have to hope that the MS fraud team gets their job done by November. Dagnabbit dammit.

Xin Baixiang

Feb 25, 2009
I get to join the legion of people who've had their stuff hacked. 10,000 microsoft points, FIFA 12, and XBox customer support locks my account for a month while they investigate. My bank can't do anything because the charges are "pending" and they can't do anything until the money is withdrawn, overdrawing my account.

JOY.