Xbox LIVE hack doing the rounds

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Just had a friend of mine get hacked by this shit. Asshole who hacked it apparently thought it would be fun to join a party with me and another friend, and then just send me text messages.
Anyone heard of whats doing this, would like a better defense than prayer.

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
LostCrusader said:
Just had a friend of mine get hacked by this shit. Asshole who hacked it apparently thought it would be fun to join a party with me and another friend, and then just send me text messages.
Anyone heard of whats doing this, would like a better defense than prayer.
Really? That's interesting. The day before I got hacked, I was invited to a private party in Gears 3...

OT: Account was restored yesterday, along with my points and the days I missed of LIVE while they investigated. Only bad thing is, they can't remove the entry from FIFA 12, which is irritating. Otherwise fine.

Bob_Dobb

Aug 22, 2011
This is why it is best to not leave money on your accounts, try to leave as little as possible and just put more points on more often... inconvenient, but safe.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Ok I just checked my account it's all fine except the fact I can't remove my card details from their system.

On the Xbox it says because my card has a subscription that is automatically renewed, even though I removed that subscription and now use pre paid cards.

On the website it won't work either, although it does not tell me why, it does clearly say Automatic renewal: Off

EDIT: Had to ring them up, only took about 10-15 minutes, and everything is now fine.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Woah...
This seems WAY worse than the PSN hack, for starters noboies or very few peoples money got stolen.
Not the case here...
I really feel for you guys.

OrionHardy

Oct 2, 2011
Someone else mentioned this on another forum and it's gotten me wondering. Of those of you that have gotten hacked, how many of you also have PSN accounts, and use the same Email Address and Password for Xbox Live?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
And cue the Playstation fanboy counterattack in three, two, one...

"LOL, now I'm glad I have a PS3!"

>.<

Besides the pointless console war trash-talking, I hate that this keeps happening. If anything, its turning me away from consoles a little more but I'm perfectly safe seeing as I only own a gamecube. Somebody needs to catch these people.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Meh, don't have Live. Didn't for a while.
No 360 here.
Anyways, this is a terrible thing, especially after PSN. Microsoft can't just hide this, they have to fix it.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I ended my xbox subscription.

Skyrim and SR3 are coming out, what do i need multiplayer for? xD

OT: Yeah, ive heard a bit about the hackings. Its bad that its happening, but at least its not half as common as the WoW hackings.

They could just make it so every transaction requires you to validate it by phone. Simple, easy solution.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Sounds like this is exactly what happened to a friend of mine, poor bastards down $2000.

If anybody manages to get money back from MS, let me know what hoops you had to jump though so I can help my mate out.

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
happened to me on the 26th, I'm out of 1000 points but I don't think Im going to report as I want my account which I did get it back and changed the passwords, but I don't think that is going to matter because I have no idea where the leak is at.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
So, most of you haven't realized that it's not an Xbox Live hack and that the people being "hacked" just have piss-poor internet security? Stop using the same passwords for multiple sites and services, stop giving your details to anyone who claims to be Microsoft, and stop believing people who tell you they'll give you free MS Points or achievements or whatever if you just give them your log-in and password.

OrionHardy said:
Someone else mentioned this on another forum and it's gotten me wondering. Of those of you that have gotten hacked, how many of you also have PSN accounts, and use the same Email Address and Password for Xbox Live?
Probably a lot of them. And if not PSN accounts, they probably used the same e-mail and password on some other site or service that actually did get hacked. People must be extremely dumb if they actually think Xbox Live has been hacked and Microsoft isn't doing anything about it: the kind of dumb that uses the same e-mail and password for everything and/or easily falls for phishing.

kouriichi said:
They could just make it so every transaction requires you to validate it by phone. Simple, easy solution.
A solution to a problem that Microsoft isn't supposed to fix because it's not them that's broken that would drive customers away in droves. Do you really think I want to sit here and validate every single purchase I make on Xbox Live because some other numpties can't take care of their accounts on the internet? Fuck that, I'd go spend more money on PSN and Nintendo's shops instead.

ToMuchAtOnce

Jan 27, 2010
Can anyone tell me how to remove my bloody card? Seriously, it seems because I have Xbox Live they won't let me remove it. I want to keep my Xbox Live subscription but just remove the card.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
When I first heard about this I tried to remove my credit info, but the site was down, now I am trying again, same thing, WTF, is this happening for anyone else?!

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
So basically, here's what I'm hearing: The preorder content for Saints Row 3, which is one of the primary reasons I preordered the fucker, is going to have to sit there and wait for fuck knows how long because some **** wants me to have eighty-dollar FIFA achievements?

Shit, dude. And I was considering buying the stuff for XBox Live access after years of not doing so. :/

Ow well. Good thing I heard about this in time. Thanks to all involved for the heads-up. Good lookin' out, y'all.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
It's probably less the achievements and more people selling Ultimate Team cards for real money. Obviously, there's also a hole in the 360 implementation of Origin in FIFA 12, since I've yet to hear reports of PS3 users suffering this fate.

pepitko

Sep 23, 2009
My account was hacked yesterday. Exactly the same thing, couldn't login to XBLA, Fifa 12 DLCs with some achievements. I logged in xbox.com and removed my credit card from the payment options (my 12 month gold membership was paid with a prepaid card) and changed the password. I got an email early this morning that Microsoft couldn't add 5000 MS points, because my credit card wouldn't let it through. That might be due to fact that I have very very little money in the bank account. I will call XBLA support tomorrow as they are closed over the weekend.

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
Idsertian said:
Just a friendly warning for my fellow Escapists about a hack that's doing the rounds at the moment.

This morning (10/10/2011), I tried to sign into my XBL account for a quick blast of Gears 3 on Insane (yes, I go basic achievement hunting, and yes, I must be a glutton for punishment or something), to be told no less than twice, that my details were invalid. Wuh?
Why did you feel the need to state "that youre a glutton for punishment"? no one gives a crap about your achievements. If youre gonna make a thread warning xbox users against hacks, then make it and leave it at that. leave your pretentious gloating in another crap thread.

thanks for the warning, ill keep an eye on my shit.